Jaeger48

Ants... ugh

We recently bought a new house and it's gorgeous but... ants.  there are these little ants everywhere. We've put bait out and the house is cleaned well of any food that may fall from the young one's. The dog food is put up every night but they're still in the house.

Any tips or tricks?

Use your Google Foo and look up "boric acid and ants."

If they are the little brown ones they are normally living underneath concrete like a sidewalk or driveway or a rock in the yard the good thing about those there's that they're not wood destroying.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ant traps, and mop with lots of vinegar.   the vinegar is supposed to destroy their scent trails.

Diatomaceous earth sprinkled where they walk cuts their shell and they dehydrate, iirc.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tommag said:

Diatomaceous earth sprinkled where they walk cuts their shell and they dehydrate, iirc.

+2 on this. I use this in my container garden when they take up residence in one of my containers. I cover the top with it then kick the container. When they start boiling up out of the dirt you can watch them start writhing in their death throws right away. To us it feels like flour, to them, broken glass and razor blades. Kills most of them and the rest leave and don't come back to that container. The best thing is that it's harmless to Bees and other good insects. It's also harmless to humans and animals. You could eat it and iit won't hurt you. If you can find where they're entering your home, sprinkle plenty of it around the spot and they won't come in that way anymore. I get mine at Home Depot.

Terry

Sugar / picnic ants (small black or brown)? If so Terro liquid traps work great. Terro makes others but I know their liquid version is the best. https://www.walmart.com/ip/6-Pack-Outdoor-Liquid-Ant-Baits/16777903?athcpid=16777903&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVAV&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=abe37159-a06-16a0d54f208550&athena=true

I have only deployed them indoors at entry points.

Just be glad you don't have fire ants.  Fire ants are the devil's spawn.  

• Like 3

piss ants are bad

Oh yea Diatomaceous earth i forgot about this stuff

I put Terro bait stations inside and outside the house. The active ingredient is boric acid and the sticky and sweet fluid sticks to the worker ants and the take it back to the brood area of the nest where the queen ant eats it. Takes 5-10 days but the results are amazing.

16 hours ago, jjwendel said:

Oh yea Diatomaceous earth i forgot about this stuff

So, I got some Terro traps and put DE powder around the doors/vents they may have access to and that has cut the ingress down a bit. Now I'll wait for the bait to start working more

All the suggestions are good. But depending on where you live some will work and others won't. If you live in SoCal they can easily have a colony inside the walls of your house.
If this is the case, you'll have to fully and completely nuke your house all at once to kill every one of them. This would include the full perimeter and every crack inside your house including spraying around every electrical outlet (as crazy as that sounds).
Because the ants can move inside the walls and look for other ways to get out and to get to food, this is why you have to get every nook and cranny.
I recently helped a new neighbor go through this when he moved into the house next door that had been empty for a couple of months. After a short period of time they realized they had ants in the house and couldn't find anywhere they were coming in at. After we nuked the outside we made it easy on ourselves and had a Green Insecticide co. come in and spray the entire interior (closets, cabinets, drawers, everything) and attic. He only had 1 small reoccurrence in his kitchen and they sprayed it all once more and now he is ant free. It's been over a year and no ants. We just keep up our perimeters. Good luck, I know they're a pain for sure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk