I've had a hankering for an AR15 of National Match quality/accuracy.
Like a Service or Match rifle complete Upper from a respected builder like Compass Lake or such.

Or maybe just buy a complete rifle.
Something like an RRA LAR-15 NM A2/A4, or perhaps an Armalite M15A4 NM.

There are also a few used guns that fit my criteria Colt AR15 A2 HBAR Sporter setup as a Service Rifle, Krieger barrel 1:7.7, Jewel trigger, double pinned rear, free float match tube, mags, sling and more.

Or maybe, maybe I should grab three of PSA's sub $500 ARs and sell them off during the next election/scare.

What's a guy to do with such First World decisions?
What think y'all?

I would lean towards a complete rifle of the one's you listed.

I suppose it matters in how you want to use it. Of course a pocket book limitation might come into play too.  :cool:

A rifle set up for TRUE National/Service Match work will weigh about 11-13pound with all the goodies on it. I've thought about building one of those because I can but would use it little. I have NIB DPMS  in the safe that only needs a HG change with the leas weights in the butt and under the guard to be competitive.  Those Compass Lake guns are great BTW. If you are a bench style paper puncher than a bull barrel or NM profiled tube is cool though some of my bets work is done with standard weight tubes but then those tubes are$49.95 from Midway either.

If you are a run and gun guy, 3Gun, then your choices are mild to wild. You can dump a ton of chance on wannabe winning gear or do it inexpensively and still run with the big dogs. An OTC rifle with a few tweaks fills this bill nicely and will be moire than adequate for accuracy.

Hunting fur means light and whippy with good accuracy and dependability. Hunting prairie dogs predicates on if you bench 'em or walk after them.  I hump an 11 pounder for that game. It could also be a big bruiser 25 WSM for elk etc but esoteric surgical instruments are always pretty limited use items.

For general use though a decent medium weight gun will fill everything but the NM games. You can put a good tube on it an upgrade the trigger if you want to seriously chase the accuracy dragon.  Believe it or not that doesn't have to be all that expensive.

Greg

I pulled the trigger on a new RRA LAR-15 A4 NM.

4 minutes ago, ChileRelleno said:

I pulled the trigger on a new RRA LAR-15 A4 NM.

Congrads!

My first AR was an Entry Tactical.

Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2019 at 12:23 AM, ChileRelleno said:

I've had a hankering for an AR15 of National Match quality/accuracy.
Like a Service or Match rifle complete Upper from a respected builder like Compass Lake or such.

Or maybe just buy a complete rifle.
Something like an RRA LAR-15 NM A2/A4, or perhaps an Armalite M15A4 NM.

There are also a few used guns that fit my criteria Colt AR15 A2 HBAR Sporter setup as a Service Rifle, Krieger barrel 1:7.7, Jewel trigger, double pinned rear, free float match tube, mags, sling and more.

Or maybe, maybe I should grab three of PSA's sub $500 ARs and sell them off during the next election/scare.

What's a guy to do with such First World decisions?
What think y'all?

I was going to say a F&D xar

https://www.fddefense.com/rifles/xar/

Has anyone seen/used one of these?

Hope you like the RRA

Edited by rmc51

Congrats on the rifle! RRA was my first (and still may, or may not be my only complete) rifle which I purchased many moons ago, but it's a pretty decent one.  On another note: Didn't Rock River sell out the 2A community a few years ago for something or another?

Congrats  on the new AR.

Everybody is getting a new gun but me.

Congrats.   Pictures!!

Picked her up this afternoon.
Put a few rounds downrange at the steel silhouettes at 150, 225 and 425 yards.
Hitting the first two consistently no problem with no sight adjustments, tried holding over on the 425 and was making 1 hit out of every 4-5 shots.

BRfx5L2.jpg

JKrR6wU.jpg

Maintaining American/Russian Equilibrium
These two acquisitions make me 4:4 in ARs/AKs.

The SLR107FR was an absolute dream to shoot on the silhouettes out to 225, even managed a few hits on the 425 but no consistency.
The triangle stock with buttpad is very comfortable.

HnISh13.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats on the new rifle!  At some point I will build a NM quality rifle with a Criterion or Kreiger barrel with a light single or two stage trigger.  Ive actually never shot a rifle with a two stage so I cant say whether or not I will go that way.  I do have a 3.5# drop in single stage on a DMR type clone I built with a Ballistic Advantage 20" barrel which is sub MOA when I do my job.  I havent stretched it out past 100 yet but I feel with the results at 100 very good, longer distances will follow suit.

While there are very good NM style factory rifles for sale I believe selection of each item will always be the way to go.  This may be prejudiced by the fact I really like building these rifles.  Researching each item most times will yield excellent combos.  Very occasionally you will run into incompatibility of parts but not often.

We expect some detailed range reports so get to work!  :popcorn:

:thumb: