trashcan

hey knife people!

im getting a custom EDC fixed made for work and what steel do yall think would be best? the two options are 1095 and 1070+CR. initially i thought 1095 as i know thats a good worker steel from what i remember but the maker warned me about potential corrosion and i was just concerned cause ill be working on the coast in florida and with such high humidity and salt content i didnt know which to pick. which do yall think would be best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you are working near salt water even knives with stainless will rust. We had a whole pile of stainless pipe discards in a pile. After it sat there a while it was rusted just as bad as the high carbon steel. Stainless is merely rust resistant not rust proof. As long as you clean and oil the metal on a regular basis get whatever metal you like the best.

Edited by gshayd

If you are working near salt water even knives with stainless will rust. We had a whole pile of stainless pipe discards in a pile. After it sat there a while it was rusted just as bad as the high carbon steel. Stainless is merely rust resistant not rust proof. As long as you clean and oil the metal on a regular basis get whatever metal you like the best.

whats a good oil to use? just any really?

also it wont be directly too close, about 3-4 miles off the coast

Kroil Oil in a spay can so you can ge it inside the areas where the blade is covered.  Get a metal polishing paste and use it to keep the blade rust free then lubricate. for the blade you can spray some on a cloth and wipe the blade with that.

Kroil Oil in a spay can so you can ge it inside the areas where the blade is covered.  Get a metal polishing paste and use it to keep the blade rust free then lubricate. for the blade you can spray some on a cloth and wipe the blade with that.

holy expensive, but ill look into getting some. any recommendations on polishing paste, or just any really?

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Best-Knife-Steel-Guide--3368
here is a great resource that compares the different steels used in knives, how hard they are to sharpen, how long they hold an edge and how corrosion resistant they are.

sweet, thank you. i came up with CPM-S30V and CPM-S35VN. i wonder if i can even get a budget fixed with those... hm

Heat up the blade and melt Johnson’s car wax on it and wipe off the excess. Do not heat the blade more than 400 degrees or risk so annealing the metal, especially on the cutting edge.

im going to try and find a maker who can make in one of the two steels i just mentioned or in LC200N and whos in the states....

The key is dont neglect it or leave it laying around not used.  I dont know what you are doing to need a custom knife but if you are using it everyday just wipe it off at the end of the day making sure it isnt wet.

What part of FL are you working?

19 hours ago, trashcan said:

sweet, thank you. i came up with CPM-S30V and CPM-S35VN. i wonder if i can even get a budget fixed with those... hm

What is your budget?  Because Chris Reeve has some nice fixed blades with s35vn for decent prices.  I think I paid around $200 for my Nyala, and it has become my favorite fixed blade knife hands down.  

What is your budget?  Because Chris Reeve has some nice fixed blades with s35vn for decent prices.  I think I paid around $200 for my Nyala, and it has become my favorite fixed blade knife hands down.  

about $150 but $200 max. might try and find one used

4 minutes ago, trashcan said:

about $150 but $200 max. might try and find one used

Here is one you might be able to make an offer on to get it within your budget - 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323759917262

Here is one you might be able to make an offer on to get it within your budget - 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323759917262

dont have the money yet unfortunately, but i might try and find something else because im trying to stay in the $150 as much as possible