Posted (edited)

I'm  getting frustrated with case trimming! I have both a Lyman bench mount and Lee hand held piloted trimmers and have issues with them. As the neck is cut, the flash/burr from cutting seems to catch under the pilot making the cutter and pilot difficult to extract from the neck after sizing (trimming, what a maroon). Is this a cutter issue,? Would a carbide cutter produce less flash? What about WFT style trimmer that indexes off the shoulder? Are there issues with different head stamps? Looking to keep it simple and do not want a powered table top model. I do like the hand held models that I can use a screw gun with but hand crank is just fine too. Looking fwd to all your thoughts.

May God bless and guide us all.

Matt

Edited by xonlyj
gramma (r), clarity

Take a look into the giraud tri-way. I have one each for 223 and 308. Indexes off the shoulder. Trim, chamfer and debur at same time.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

You are sizing before trimming, right? 

Greg 

Greg 
Yes.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, GLShooter said:

Yes. I should note my error, the pilot is difficult to remove after TRIMMING. Sizing preceded this trimming step.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, xonlyj said:

Yes. I should note my error, the pilot is difficult to remove after TRIMMING. Sizing preceded this trimming step.

First thing I would do is polish the pilot and see if that helps. I'm hoping your blades are nice and sharp also.

Greg

This is one of the reasons I prefer a 3 way carbide cutter, it helps with keeping a sharp case mouth without rolling case mouth brass to the inside or outside. I have several trimmers, including a chamber style trimmer that uses a bolt head to adjust the trim length, made by CH. For initial match brass setup, it does a great job of squaring the base before I use the RCBS Trim Pro, 3 way motorized trimmer.

The insert type trimmer spindle usually benefits from just a touch of case lube before you start trimming. 

I have over a dozen cats that require shortening in the conversion process. A good trimmer is a must for my process.

Ed

I use a home made WFT style trimmer now. The machines like the Lyman really benefit from carbide cutters. Also, slow your feed speed down. Let the cutter take smaller bites. Withdraw the cutter a time or two between each touch to the brass to aid in swarf removal.

Following Flesh wound.  Slowing down is what I did.  Relax and let the cutter do it’s job at a slower pace.  You’ll get the feel for it as you go.  

• Like 1

I started out with the Lyman set up.  Quickly went with a different set up after trimming a few hundred rounds and my fingers were raw and I experienced the same thing you're having problems with.

If you're not doing a ton of trimming its fine.  But for volume, yeah, no.

Posted (edited)

I have changed cutters a couple of times but never tried the carbide ones. I don't mind the hand crank so never got the power adaptor. Trying the Lee trimmer with the case specific pilot and cutter attached which seems ok. That one I use my Milwaukee cordless screw driver with and it helps. Who uses the WTF (WFT)? Is it worth it?

Thanks and God bless us all!

Edited by xonlyj
oops

31 minutes ago, GLShooter said:

I went with a power adapter too, but still not going back.

1 minute ago, xonlyj said:

I have changed cutters a couple of times but never tried the carbide ones. I don't mind the hand crank so never got the power adaptor. Trying the Lee trimmer with the case specific pilot and cutter attached which seems ok. That one I use my Milwaukee cordless screw driver with and it helps. Who uses the WTF? Is it worth it?

Thanks and God bless us all!

I think the wtf is worth the money as a step up.  I actually went with the Giraud, but most people won't go that far unless doing high volume.