srjdsmith

Sight for action target shooting

A decade ago, Gmountain (snif) started a thread about sight types. That’s a good thread. My question is very specific.

What type of sight for action shooting of targets? (I’m not spending $900 on a Leupold LCO)

Background: My club does “Zombie Culls”. I’ve never done it, but I’d like to try it. They say it’s basically for handguns (which I’d also like to try) but shotguns and AR’s are welcome. So, novice that I am, I need fast target acquisition at shorter ranges- probably don’t need any magnification.

Some of them look like a screen and others look more like a squarish tube?

I know about regular, inexpensive red dot sights- I have Tasco sights on my daughters’ Mossbergs which they use both for slugs and shot- and do very well on deer, roosters, and clay birds. Do I try one of these just to see if I like it, or...?

Posted (edited)

I really like my Holosun HS510C reflex. Primarily for quick target acquisition. I find it to be well built. Very large glass, 65 moa circle / 2 moa dot, circle only, dot only options. I find it to be good quality and affordably priced. Never had an issue with its factory qd mount. Extended battery life and other features. Though it doesn't bother me one bit, it does have that little tint deal going.

rVkZW8l.jpg

Pretty much an absolute co-witness if you go that route.

U1g6ekU.jpg

Edited by bamashooter
  • Like 1

I’ll check into that one. Thanks

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So, I did a little looking and asking. There’s a little combat-veteran-owned company in California. Tacticon Armament https://tacticon.com/ Their Predator V2 reflex sight seemed like a worthwhile experiment in a type of shooting I haven’t done before. And, if it helps some vets, so much the better. I hope I did OK. Maybe if it ever quits raining I’ll find out.

8cb991ba6cdd01da314c1cb9e9ad8d08.jpg

c2902fc366f95766dfbc0d9f6a33e3d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sights who needs steenken sights...... for action shooting you might want a holographic sight

Perhaps it'll last a session or three. Appears to be on the level of my two 20.00 Field Sports (lower tier of numerous Chinese optics. I find it on Amazon but not on the website. Looks like they're strictly an importer taking advantage of the "combat veteran" bs. I say bs because of the following statement:

"We believe in outfitting both men and women with comfortable, effective and combat ready tactical gear.  Our catalog is a curated combination of original patented products and tactical gear enhanced to include features requested from our customers.  We hope you enjoy all the effort we put forth to improve upon our products, our service and ourselves." 

"We believe in outfitting both men and women with comfortable, effective and combat ready tactical gear." :yukyuk:

He kinda has to be just an importer. It isn’t the kind of work you do to make a few hundred and then done. It’s clearly mass-produced.

But for the price, if I like shooting Zombies, I’ll bump up a few notches and get a good one. If I find that I’m not up to hiding behind 2x4’s and rolling on the ground to shoot mannequins, a few bucks to discover it’s not my sport is well spent.

If the guy is truly a vet, better to be running a company than living in despair, ya know?

My daughters like their red dot sights. My son hated it, and when he moved up to an adult size gun he never looked back. Both girls shoot a bantam size Mossberg mod. 500. Neither has a cantilevered barrel, so the sight stays on the receiver whether with the slug barrel or for shot. Both shoot slugs accurately, and also like it with shot for small game and clay birds.

I’ve never used a red dot, so no idea if I’ll like it or not. Better to go cheap and work up than spend $300 on a sight I don’t like.

Posted (edited)

If it's differently sized target and assorted targets, you'll like a red dot / reflex. I'd want something like the Holosun for it's large screen and very fast circle dot. Is that the type of shooting it is? Do you know the approx target sizes and distances? Is it a timed event?

Edited by bamashooter

Is that the type of shooting it is? Do you know the approx target sizes and distances? Is it a timed event?

I don’t know what type of shooting it is.
No, I don’t know target sizes or distances.
I don’t know if it is timed.

Aren’t I just a wealth of knowledge? They said, “We do a Zombie Cull. It’s fun! You should come out.” Then they said, “Oh, you’ve just recently gotten into AR’s? You can bring your rifle, too. It’s a pistol course, but we just extend the ranges a little and you can shoot your rifle if you want.”

So, now you know as much as I know. Apparently it’s fun. So I’m going to try it. Probably make a fool of myself.

John

”Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” -Buckaroo Banzai

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

There's a bunch of zombie-type shoots on youtube. Don't know if there's a commonality other than zombies. Shoot a zombie, drink a shot? :D:

This, apparently, is what Zombie culling looks like.

7472513dbb7606d8dfbcfb51073e7b78.jpg
b029c40b74a2a3536ad046b2dd16bb8e.jpg
5fab9970cceb13b3dd88ada67d677e26.jpg

Most people use their carry gun. For practice. I can’t make the next one in a couple of weeks, but next month I’ll be there. We’ll see.

I could make do with a Tasco PDP  or a low end Aimpoint. You don't have to spend $600.00 to play a game at that level. I run a Tasco on my Benelli Super 90 and on my rifle I run a 3X9 or 4X14 with a red dot on the forearm although I rigged one out with a 3X9 and a Millet red dot tucked up next to it. Pistols could be irons on a 9 or 45 1911 type pistol or a full race Para with every bell and whistle man has invented. 

If you want to dress to impress the crowd run a mildly massaged 45 ACP 1911, an 870 and an iron sight AR or to wow them an M1A for a rifle.  A 3Gun Heavy Metal triad is probably one of the most versatile group of guns you can put together. Zombie annihilation is like the breakfast of champions. 

Greg 

Well... I can’t impress anyone with my homemade AR 14 1/2, a Glock 30s or my stock Norinco (30s is higher capacity), and even my G43 is pretty limited capacity, and although I do have a Benelli M1 Super 90- The 20 gauge is scoped and the 12 is not- no extended mags so 4 shots before reload.

I don’t guess my Browning Citori Upland Special is appropriate, as stack-poles are neither high capacity nor as classic as a coach gun. I mean, I can put pheasant and quail on their backs with the best of ‘em, but Zombie shooting is no game for such a fowling-piece.

No, I’ll take the Glock and an AR and try my luck, make a fool of myself, burn some ammo...  If I like it, then I guess I’ll have to see about slightly more specialized equipment.

Posted (edited)

They need to do those at night with black light targets, black lights, smoke, etc. That'd rock. :D:

Looking at some of those videos, you might be a bit "over-dressed" with that snobish V2. :snicker:

Edited by bamashooter
  • Like 1

SR obviously the object is fun so whatever you bring will be a blast.  There is a match in Norman, Oklahoma called Lamb's Slaughter it's been shot annually for 38 years. All metal targets with up to 30 on the course.  Everyone let's it all hang out and it's wild. Zombie match would fit in perfectly. 

One note on gear. Don't undersell that over and under. I have a Browning Citori cut to 18" with Winchokes.  It can be run quickly enough for me to win a shotgun assault course in Duncan, Oklahoma.  Give a fellow space between shooting spots and you'd be surprised how fast you can load those puppies and for two shots nothing is faster.

Greg