Sign in to follow this  
MadeInUSA

Tri Tip Recipes Wanted

I stopped by my butcher to get a couple dozen beer brats to smoke this weekend. I saw he had a few tri tips, which I've never in my life have seen before.

He suggested that I grill it to a medium rare.

I assume grilling should be done on indirect heat, 300*-350 till an IT of 125*ish.

Any marinade recommendations or grilling techniques for a roast?

There is a Santa Maria marinade that goes well with them. You can just S+P it and cook it like a big steak to medium rare....they are a great cut of meat when done right. 

https://www.asweetpeachef.com/how-to-marinate-tri-tip/

I have not tried this recipe but it's worth a shot....

Thanks TT! I have a few random dried chiles from my last batch of chili. I might as well grind them up for a marinade.

I might shoot for a temp of 250-300*  on the grill now. 

When I initially heard grilling and roast, It didnt occur to me to dial back the charcoal a little.

Don't over cook them....140 seems like a good number if I recall correctly. 125 will be a juicy!

1 hour ago, towtruck said:

Don't over cook them....140 seems like a good number if I recall correctly. 125 will be a juicy!

I'm not cooking Newbe. 😆

I never cook any whole muscle above 130 IT with carry over.

I might grill it tomorrow. And I'll try to remember to take some pics.

15 minutes ago, MadeInUSA said:

I'm not cooking Newbe. 😆

That's not cooking that's making briquettes!

After last spring, I'm firmly convinced Towtruck is an expert when it comes to tri-tip. He made one that made me question what I knew about beef. I've made it a few times since then, and I'm trying to get it right. I've come close, but not 100% there yet. 

45 minutes ago, Pepper said:

After last spring, I'm firmly convinced Towtruck is an expert when it comes to tri-tip. He made one that made me question what I knew about beef. I've made it a few times since then, and I'm trying to get it right. I've come close, but not 100% there yet. 

We are going to have to get together and cook one again this year some time!

My wife and I have sat in front of the counter and sliced an entire tri tip up and ate it hot right off the grill without ever fixing the rest of dinner they were so good.....you know you got it right when it never makes it to the dinner plate :yukyuk:

IMO,  don't over think cooking tri-tip.

Salt, pepper and garlic. 

Cook til internal temp is 135 and pull.   It will go to 140 easily while resting. 

Right before pulling crank up the heat and get a bit of crisp on outside. 

I use a green egg.  Turns out spot on every time. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Indirect cooking on the grill or roasting in the oven. The cut is kind of lean in the fat department so I would only cook it to Medium - 150 degrees at most don't overcook it. I would probably cook it to 135 degrees medium rare.  Same on a grill. Slice across the grain. What you also need to keep in mind is that meat will continue to cook once you take it from the oven or grill.

Edited by gshayd