Sign in to follow this  
hlhneast

Simple Tomato based Smoke Sausage over Rice

I can eat a ton of smoked sausage knowing that a piece 2" long contains your whole daily allowance of fat!  I had a room mate that took Lil Smokies and a bunch of onions and let the grease from the Smokies make a "sauce".  I took the base of this idea and developed something quite edible and easy to prepare.  It takes about 30-40 minutes and uses one pan and a rice pot.  I like simple minimal clean up meals.  This recipe will yield two hearty portions.  I dont really measure anything when I cook so adjust any of these quantities as you see fit.

1pkg Smoked Sausage, chopped small

1/4 to 1/2 sweet onion, sliced into slivers

1/4 to 1/2 bell pepper, sliced like the onion

1 medium sized can chopped tomatoes, 14oz maybe?

1 big tbls of minced garlic

1 tbls olive or vegetable oil

1 tea of dry red pepper or more to taste

Salt and black pepper to taste

1 cup dry rice, yields 2 cooked cups. I prefer jasmine rice but use your favorite. 

Add sausage, onion, green pepper, garlic, red pepper and oil to a saute pan over medium heat.  Cook until onion and green pepper are soft.  Add the can of chopped tomatoes including the liquid.  Lower heat and simmer 15 minutes while the rice cooks.

Serve mixture over rice.  Enjoy!

Sounds good will have to try that   :eat:

12 hours ago, alpo said:

Sounds good will have to try that   :eat:

I ate my first smoked sausage in MS from Bryan Foods in West Point.  Needles to say I cant find it here, I dunno if they are still in operation but their smoked sausage was very tasty.  I use Hillshire Farms now.

11 hours ago, hlhneast said:

I ate my first smoked sausage in MS from Bryan Foods in West Point.  Needles to say I cant find it here, I dunno if they are still in operation but their smoked sausage was very tasty.  I use Hillshire Farms now.

Yes, that's the brand I use.  I also like their lunch ham. 

11 hours ago, alpo said:

Yes, that's the brand I use.  I also like their lunch ham. 

Oh yeah.  Glad they are still in business.  I worked on a house about 300yds from the plant.  When they were cooking hams your stomach grumbled all day and you couldnt wait for lunch!

• Like 1

Faux Jambalaya. :)

6 hours ago, bamashooter said:

Faux Jambalaya. :)

Yeah thats kinda the inspiration behind it.  I thought about trying a roux but I wanted something very light hence the use of the tomato water.  Not thick like spaghetti sauce, more along the lines of Spanish rice.