Sign in to follow this  
Sorceress 21

Strange things afoot in my can!!

This is a Silencerco Omega. I cracked it open today and found some oddness...Can anyone tell me if any of this is normal and well...what it is?

This looks like corrosion of some kind..has same appearance as corrosion in a flashlight if you leave old batteries in too long:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/x9FNLfgYbBECdXnQ6

this one looks like pollen:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MbJzz9i3YppkUFif9

The can has always been safe kept, never been wet and I don't have bees nesting in my safe either....

Part of what I see is unburned powder.

The appearance of corrosion is fairly normal. Moisture is a byproduct of combustion. Brush it out the best you can and call it good.

8 minutes ago, Longhair said:

Part of what I see is unburned powder.

The appearance of corrosion is fairly normal. Moisture is a byproduct of combustion. Brush it out the best you can and call it good.

Makes sense! Thanks LH!!

I have to admit, when I read the title to this thread, I had a very different picture in my mind. But I am warped that way.

• Haha 1

What I have heard is that you should weigh your rimfire silencer brand new and if it gains about 3 oz and you can take it apart then clean it. I would consult the owners manual for cleaning procedures or contact the manufacturer. In a Centerfire rifle consult your owners manual for cleaning recommendations. As I have said this is what I was told after asking a bunch of questions the mfg is the subject matter authority.

When I saw the word Can, I thought you were speaking of an outhouse  My Bad

Posted (edited)

lol.... I guess being older I knew can meant silencer. 

Edited by gshayd

First photo is probably carbon. I have it in my Hybrid. The second photo is interesting in that it almost looks like copper, but it all seems concentrated in one area.

It just looks like normal suppressor filth to me. Remember these things contain what normally blows out the end of a rifle/pistol. If you've ever seen something shot at extremely close range there's a ton of crap that gets embedded in whatever is being shot. It's known as stippling or tattooing. This is that crap. That crap is usually unburnt powder, partially burnt powder, metal shavings, lead particulates. All manner of nasty stuff.