Devils15

Mossberg knowledge needed

Father in law gifted a mossberg 183ke. Bolt action. 410 shotgun. It has a the slectachoke and is holds either 2 or 3 rounds. At least from what I can find on the internet.

Anyone know how this slectachoke works, what was the gun made for, how many rounds it holds. Other then shooting some Clay's I've never been much of a shotgun guy so any info is appreciated.

Seems like a decently put together little gun.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

It's an all-in-one adjustable choke. You just twist it to select the amount that it chokes.

Mossberg_C-lect_choke.jpg

Yep, that's pretty darn neat. 

I don’t much like “choke” I’ve seen my uncle drop pheasant at well over 50 yards with #6 shot out of an Improved Cylinder. (I’m not claiming to be that good a shot, but I’ve seen it many, many times.) Choke works in conjunction with the shot cup (wad) size and type of shot, velocity...

But, generally, cylinder has no choke, improved cylinder has a little constriction that, theoretically, should hold the shot closer together for longer, them modified, improved modified, full, extra full up to the most constriction. More isn’t better (certainly my uncle doesn’t think so). Generally, improved cylinder is good for upland hunting- pheasants, rabbits, and informal clay bird shooting. Modified is good for longer range shots, to try and hold more shot in the pattern further out- I also use it for squirrel so that I can keep shot out of the edible parts and concentrate on the head. Full choke for turkey, which is rarely a wing shot and concentrates more in a head shot.

Be careful about using that variable choke with steel shot- it doesn’t compress as well as lead and can “log jam” at the choke making it hard on the fingers of the device and deforming the load, destroying consistency.

John

”Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” -Buckaroo Banzai

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't shoot steel shot out of it at all!! It WILL destroy the barrel! That barrel was never intended to shoot anything but lead.

Everything is a balance, of shot size, speed, energy that each pellet carries, distance that you're shooting, number of pellets in the load, etc....

Chokes have their place, and with a .410 it's actually more important to know what your limitations are.

• Like 1

THanks for the info. Gonna take this out and play with it a little.

Shooting small game critters or breaking tossed clays.

I'd like to shoot Clay's again. To bad the only range that had skeet was within an hour of me closed down quite a few years back. Might have to look a little harder and see if I can find something closer.