So Cmack's thread on Extreme Hot-n-Fast brisket got my interest peaked again.
Had it on my mind to try his method with a tweak or two to accommodate my smoker.

I cruised through Costco after getting back off the road yesterday, the Packers were pretty well picked over and the best I could find was on the BIG side at 22lbs.
Trimmed about 4-5lbs off it getting it ready.
Does anybody else cringe when trimming actual meat off a brisket?

Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, granulated garlic and more.
Wrapped it overnight to brine a bit.

XoqkkrM.jpg

3Sz55b8.jpg

AQhxXVO.jpg

Got the smoker running with some hickory, settled in at 275° and threw the brisket on to get some smoke for a couple hours.
Then I'm gonna kick the temp to 375°-400° and take it to about 160°-165° and wrap in butcher paper to finish at probe tender, 200°-210°.

z7MwEqq.jpg

2.5hrs at 275° +/-, looking good with an average IT of 108°.
Just turned the heat UP!  Cooking at 396° now.

tRHZsRF.jpg

2.5 hours averaging 390°, IT is now 165°, time to wrap.

t6ViKR8.jpg

ZwKzoUq.jpg

BSj9ix4.jpg
  • Like 1

My buddy does them hot and fast and they come out great. I am smoking a small roast today to cut up into BQ beef....oh, crap...I need to check it as I think it's done...bye..

edit...yup, done at 137*. I wrapped it in foil to let it finish cooking and cool off on the counter. I will cut it up once cooled and mix in some BBQ sauce and make some sammich's.

Brisket. Growing up in Texas during the 50s/60s, at least in Dallas, a simple bbq sandwich was always made from sliced beef brisket. BBQ plate = brisket. "Pulled" pork might have been illegal.:D: Never saw it. To this day eating standard pork bbq, I always reflect back to briskets. No comparison of the two. Regardless of quality, smoke, sauce, etc, when I eat and finish a pork bbq sandwich, I always have that pork after-taste, similar in the way that some fish tastes fishy. Long live briskets and those who know how to cook them. If I ever have another pup, I might just name him Brisket. And I fully expect someone to ask me why I named him Biscuit. :tiphat:

7 hours and done.

Probe tender at 205°.

Wrapped and resting for a few hours.

XdLI21m.jpg

• Like 1

:eat:

• Like 1

let's eat!

edit....oh, my roast came out tasty....but tough as boot leather so it's in the pressure cooking now getting a hot steaming to tenderize that puppy so it's edible. 

• Like 1

WHY?!
Why should I ever do a brisket low-n-slow again, why?
I don't know because this hot-n-fast brisket was simply awesome.
My family said it was the best one I've ever cooked...  Damn, that says it all.

Juicy and Tender!

[MEDIA=youtube]mtyZ5oS576o[/MEDIA]

7QFnkUf.jpg

NyRLpzf.jpg

Plated it with
Buttery Mashed Taters
Honey Sesame Carrots/Onions

Finale

A0wPk6q.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

In Central Texas they can cook them on those big pits in 4 hours. Nice looking brisket.  I am a 250 degrees guy  1 pound =1.25 hours of cooking per pound of brisket depending on the size it can be anywhere from 8 to 12 hours. The time isn't as important to me as ensuring the fat in the brisket has rendered leaving it tender. I don't wrap my brisket or baste it or inject it. my test is putting on a rubber glove and poking it if the finger slides in without any resistance and it jiggles its done. if it doesn't do that it stays in regardless of what the temp probe says.

Edited by gshayd
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, gshayd said:

In Central Texas they can cook them on those big pits in 4 hours. Nice looking brisket. 

Well if I was smoking on a stick burner I'd have it down to about that too.

But I have to generate my smoke at a lower temp, so...

• Like 1

I stay between 225 degrees and 250 and I like a big brisket. 

While testing out my new smoker I did one of my best briskets at a temp approx 250-270*. I did not have all my probes set and was running the probes over the ribs on the other end of the smoker. The air flow went over the brisket and the pit was running wide open intakes. After that one I got my probes in and regulated it down to 225 to 240 on the next few. None came out as good as the one done at higher temps. The next one I do will be smoked with the pit running wide open again. The low temps made perfectly tender meat that could not be sliced as it was too tender and just crumbled....I should have pulled those before 204* but went on temp not feel. 

Right now I'm in a rib mode doing a lot of ribs getting my method dialed in. The roast today was a high end roast that was tough as nails....until I fixed it in the pressure cooker. Now it is some really good BBQ beef. 

Posted (edited)

I usually start check at 195 degrees internal temp on the brisket. The briskets usually start rendering at 160 degrees. I also keep an eye on the bucket where all the melted fat goes to see how full it is. 

Edited by gshayd

Glad to see the pressure cooker salvaged the roast. Anyone know where the Cmack thread is? I've searched directly here and via Google finding nothing. Thanks and enjoy those meals this weekend.