Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
adair_usmc

2019 Oregon draw results are in

Recommended Posts

ItTkviZ.png

 

9PadP8w.jpg

 

 

Success for both mule deer and bull elk, again.  The elk tag is for the same area I got my big bull last year, so I’m hoping for another 6x6!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

f* you in the nicest way possible. 

 

I got drawn for bupkiss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 9:59 PM, Jaeger48 said:

f* you in the nicest way possible. 

 

I got drawn for bupkiss.

 

 

That sucks!  Washington apps or did you apply in Oregon as well? 

 

While waiting for road construction yesterday I had a herd come out to congratulate me on getting elk tags.

 

xB8Da9c.jpg

 

a6MxnfN.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations Adair.  

That sure is some pretty country up there.  

 

I still want to come up and see your gold mine.  :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, adair_usmc said:

 

 

That sucks!  Washington apps or did you apply in Oregon as well? 

 

While waiting for road construction yesterday I had a herd come out to congratulate me on getting elk tags.

 

xB8Da9c.jpg

 

a6MxnfN.jpg

 

I just put in for WA tags. I need to start exploring out of state though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, adair_usmc said:

 

 

That sucks!  Washington apps or did you apply in Oregon as well? 

 

While waiting for road construction yesterday I had a herd come out to congratulate me on getting elk tags.

 

 

a6MxnfN.jpg

Is that a couple slow elk upslope from the herd or just some rocks? Pretty country, but packing out is such a chore. I passed a shot at a bull once because of the canyon that was between me and it. it was only 200 yards wide but went on for miles and was 300 feet of straight up and down. The down part is pretty easy, if you like your meat tenderized especially. But that going straight up is hell. I was alone and probably would have passed up a shot on a squirrel for the exact same reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MontanaLon said:

Is that a couple slow elk upslope from the herd or just some rocks? Pretty country, but packing out is such a chore. I passed a shot at a bull once because of the canyon that was between me and it. it was only 200 yards wide but went on for miles and was 300 feet of straight up and down. The down part is pretty easy, if you like your meat tenderized especially. But that going straight up is hell. I was alone and probably would have passed up a shot on a squirrel for the exact same reason. 

 

 

Thats why you do what I do and shoot them in closed roads so you can get them out whole.  Packing out is never fun though.  

 

Those are just rocks on the uphill side though. 

 

Last season when we got my big bull into the truck we passed a guy on the road packing out a quarter, and we stopped to offer him a ride.  He had shot a 5x6 2 days prior and had been packing out all the pieces alone for two days.  He was not having a fun time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, adair_usmc said:

 

 

Thats why you do what I do and shoot them in closed roads so you can get them out whole.  Packing out is never fun though.  

 

Those are just rocks on the uphill side though. 

 

Last season when we got my big bull into the truck we passed a guy on the road packing out a quarter, and we stopped to offer him a ride.  He had shot a 5x6 2 days prior and had been packing out all the pieces alone for two days.  He was not having a fun time.  

Yeah a buddy of mine shot a bull that was 5 or 6 miles from the road in grizzly country. It was probably 3,000 feet higher than the road and none of it was flat. You were  either going up or down the whole way. We were young and dumb then and managed to get it all out except for a shoulder that disappeared between the second and 3rd trips in. It was only a couple weeks after some kid got chewed up by a grizzly on the other side of the mountain. We were nervous the whole freaking time. He had gutted it, quartered it and hiked the quarters about 1/4 mile away and hung them in the tree.  Hike out in the dark with the tenderloins. First trip we got the backstraps and a back quarter. Second trip the other back quarter and shoulder. When we got there for the second trip the gut pile and rib cage was gone entirely. Third time the shoulder was missing and the rack and head had been pulled out of the tree and the cape chewed up. It could have been anything but we were sure it was a man eating grizzly and it was waiting for us on the trail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×