AR15Armory.com

Buffer-less BCG AR Set-up

Came across something interesting lately and I was curious what you guys thought.

I think, overall, it's a great idea but needs some refining. I'm not a fan of being unable to keep my ejection port cover closed nor being able to use the forward assist, but the concept is interesting. Also, what do you guys think about making an AR "pistol" with this set-up? I'm wondering how, if possible, you could make this build with a short barrel and no stock without having to register it as an SBR since it's not technically a rifle. What are your thoughts? See the link below.

https://www.evolutionweaponsystems.com/

Interesting concept. I will be watching to see how it preforms. Seems like this would work well with a folder SBR if it's reliable.  Not sure that I'd want to shoot a stockless pistol. Even a light weight barrel and forend would have a lot of forward weight to handle. I'm all for invation. But there's a lot to be said about a tried and true system. Nice to see some out of the box thinking.

I think I’ve seen a similar system in some other place. Interesting for a pistol if you don’t have to have that big tube sticking out the back. I’ll be interested to hear what you all more knowledgeable people think about such a system.

44 minutes ago, srjdsmith said:

I think I’ve seen a similar system in some other place. Interesting for a pistol if you don’t have to have that big tube sticking out the back. I’ll be interested to hear what you all more knowledgeable people think about such a system.

Thanks for dissing me. :segrin:

To me it just seems like another avenue to take for those who want a 5.56 chambered "MP5K." I can see this as a somewhat comfortable compact set-up with a sling, or an ideal "truck gun" to have without having to worry about space limitations of frantically trying to joined packed up upper and lower assemblies if needed.

So why am I going to spend $400 for a recoil spring system without a tube when my .223 works just fine.  Does it add to accuracy? Does it mean less recoil? If you want to buy one buy it. Dust cover is going to be open if you are firing the AR. In 28 years of military service and owning AR 15s I have never had to use the forward assist. Now I have seen some have to use it because they didn't do proper maintenance or cleaning. If they want me to part with $400 there has to be some benefit other than being a buffer tube free system on an AR pistol.

I also applaud the innovation.

However, when you look at the "musts" you must do as far as set up, I'm

not sure it is going to see widespread use in self defense weapons until it gets

into people's hands.  It is apparently very sensitive to the amount of gas flow for proper function,

or to excess gas and accelerated parts wear. 

Just bite the bullet and get a BRN-180 upper from Brownell's and don't look back. Then you can run suppressed w/o the gas in the face problem, because it's a piston driven upper that's bufferless, and a proven design.

Yeah, it's a bit spendy, but it checks all the boxes.

• Like 1