Hi guys, what are you guys using for a light that is compatible with M-LOK and won't break the bank around $100

indoors/outdoors, indoors only, etc? 50 yds, 100yds +?

All my lights are mounted on rail sections, so they are compatible with all types of systems (M-Lok, Keymod, other...).

In your specified price range I would be looking at INFORCE lights.

https://inforce-mil.com/products/rifle-carbine-lights/

• Like 2

At that price point I would either get more money or stick a surefire g2x on a good ring mount. I've heard too many people express dissatisfaction with inforce, obviously no disrespect meant to those who have had good experiences. 

59 minutes ago, Hammurabi said:

At that price point I would either get more money or stick a surefire g2x on a good ring mount. I've heard too many people express dissatisfaction with inforce, obviously no disrespect meant to those who have had good experiences. 

There were a couple issues with the Gen I models (like overheating for one), but those have been rectified with the Gen II's.

One thing to take into account when you're shopping for a light is basic ergonomics.

My Inforce has a thumb button that is switchable between momentary contact and on/off. On the gun it's on it's right where I want it. I've got a Surefire with a rail mounted tape switch, and it's mounted in a different position on a quad rail that makes the use of a remote switch a better option. And my SIG light has a flipper switch, so it can do momentary contact or on/off, and it's size and where it is on an AR pistol relative to the hand stop and sling mount makes it handy.

So don't just shop by price and lumens. Get what fits ergonomically for the desired application. 

I have a couple of these Fenix lights.  They're pretty nice lights.  Max of 1000 lumens.  I've never mounted them on a weapon though, so I can't say how well they hold up to the abuse of gunfire.  About $90. 

FS_UC35_CLEAR__93811.1525442944.jpg?c=2

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/fenix-uc35-v2-rechargeable-flashlight/

Fenix has a new one with a max of 1600 lumens.  I really want one of those bad boys.  $100.  

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/fenix-pd36r-rechargeable-flashlight/

The next frontier in weapons lights is not going to be lumens or candlepower, but run time

Of course, durability, ergonomics, and an effective amount of light is job one. 

If I was in the market for a new light, I would be looking at energy management and runtime,

with a bias against excessive weight.  Tiny extremely bright lights with low run times don't interest me. 

Remember, the first time you turn on a flashlight with disposable batteries, you start a chemical reaction

where the battery's power continues to degrade from that point.  

I don't think the bad guys are gonna stop shooting while I change batteries. Change your batteries

regularly, even on a rifle you don't use light with often. One way to address this is to change batteries, but don't turn the light on.

That's an iffy proposition in the extremely rare case you would get a bum battery. It might work with lighted rifles you have

that are farther down in rotation than your "go to" rifle. Then the batteries would maintain their 10 year shelf life just as when they came out of the box.

Cycle the used batteries to household flashlights, or save those still decently bright for informal low/no light training. 

In second place would be ease of replacing batteries.  

On-the-weapon recharge lights (usb) are here now. Will only continue to get better..

On 6/27/2019 at 10:13 AM, Retcop said:

The next frontier in weapons lights is not going to be lumens or candlepower, but run time

I wish that were true, but it should have already gone that direction. Consumers seem to want brighter and brighter above all else. I'd rather have 1000 lumens at 4 hours than 2000 lumens at 2 hours. 

But just like engines, consumers seem to want more power above all else, so that's what we get. A good company would offer both, but the rush to the top of the lumen race seems to be the focus. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/26/2019 at 11:00 AM, capnjim01 said:

Hi guys, what are you guys using for a light that is compatible with M-LOK and won't break the bank around $100

Streamlight TLR is a popular option. But they might start at $119 or so. 

Going cheap on something expected to work on a firearm (dealing with recoil) isn't a popular option. I don't know if inforce or fenix are inferior, but I wouldn't go more inexpensive than that without knowing your pick will withstand recoil. 

I should add that my streamlight TLR has seen a lot of action without failing. It's always on my gun at the range whether or not it's turned on. Since probably 2009 or so. And that's my main rifle. All others are only shot sporadically. 

Edited by Casper

Dang this place is making a pinch in my wallet. I just got inspired to order a new WML for my rifle. I got a Nitecore P10GT on order for that, and decided my old Inforce could ride on my personal 870, so I bought a mount for it. That will be good enough for house clearing ranges. 

7 hours ago, Casper said:

I wish that were true, but it should have already gone that direction. Consumers seem to want brighter and brighter above all else. I'd rather have 1000 lumens at 4 hours than 2000 lumens at 2 hours. 

But just like engines, consumers seem to want more power above all else, so that's what we get. A good company would offer both, but the rush to the top of the lumen race seems to be the focus. 

I could not agree more.

I read an article somewhere (I think it was about the last Shot Show) where some light industry guy said 

they were in the process of tackling run time noe that the lumen/candlepower high points are much more than adequate for real world use,

and not just a way of measuring trousers. I hear what you are saying about the focus thing, and companies trying to make a big deal about how much of the beam is concentrated, and how evenly dispersed and bright the rest of the beam is. Personally, I think what is basically differences in reflector/refractor designs is being used to separate one good light from another, while the big powers are working furiously on a run time break through, which will really kick off a race.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 6:22 AM, Retcop said:

I could not agree more.

I read an article somewhere (I think it was about the last Shot Show) where some light industry guy said 

they were in the process of tackling run time noe that the lumen/candlepower high points are much more than adequate for real world use,

and not just a way of measuring trousers. I hear what you are saying about the focus thing, and companies trying to make a big deal about how much of the beam is concentrated, and how evenly dispersed and bright the rest of the beam is. Personally, I think what is basically differences in reflector/refractor designs is being used to separate one good light from another, while the big powers are working furiously on a run time break through, which will really kick off a race.

An industry focus on run time would be awesome. I guess if it came from an industry insider, maybe that time really is now! Thank you for the info. 

One of the reasons that they don't focus on run time, is that the number of people who will use it for searching is pretty low. Most of the time you're not pointing a rifle at random areas, you're searching with a regular flashlight, and only engage when you're actively searching a specific area. I was clearing a junior high school Monday night that got broken into, and probably had my WL on a total of 2-3 minutes, and that's being generous. Most areas were lit well enough for me to use ambient light to clear the main halls, and the dark classrooms took me 5-10 seconds each, and that's estimating on the long side. Unless you're using it for serious social work on a regular basis, run time isn't an issue. For most of us, changing the batteries once a month is more than enough to keep us going. A regular flashlight will get much more use, which is why they do much better with run times. Additionally, the emphasis on WML are on being small and light, compared to a normal handheld light. Kind of hard to combine high output, small size, and long battery life. Usually have to give up at least one of those.