Pharthan

First Build - No Step On Snek Rifle; Advice?

Found this forum because I began to realize I know far less about firearms than I thought I did, and I knew I'd need a bit of help for building a new AR "battle-rifle-style."

Finally got a good enough job that I can afford to do more than just Palmetto State Armory for gun parts - they're reliable and I love them to death, but still, I can spend a bit more now.

I recently bought the SNEK-15 stripped lower from PSA, and I want to build a sort of "themed" rifle around it with "No Step On Snek" AR Dust Cover's ambi-handle and dust cover; I already have a 20" barrel, heavy "long range" build AR and a Carbine AR (which I'm going to slowly lighten as I get new parts), and now I'm looking at making my own "Militia/Battle" rifle; a reliable mid-ranged rifle that I can sink some money into. I'm not looking for competition-grade, though getting lighter parts is always a plus if the only real downside is cost.

... And I want it to look cool, preferably for all under $3k.

I'm new to this, so sue me. Hell, just be frank with me where I'm being unrealistic/stupid.

Snek-15 Stripped Lower (owned)

Romeo5 Red Dot (owned (PSA had a sale not too long ago), intend to buy a Juliet magnifier, though my dream-optic setup is the Leopold D-EVO/LCO co-witnessing setup)

Franklin Arms AR-C1 Binary Trigger

FAB Defense GR-CORE telescoping stock with adjustable cheek-rest (because it looks cool and I love having an adjustable stock/cheek rest like I do on my other ARs) - (Open to suggestions)

FAB Defense Podium Bipod (I have one on my Carbine AR and I love it, I might swap it to this one and get a Hera Arms CQR for the Carbine

"No Step On Snek " AR Dust Cover's ambi -handle and dust cover

I'd like to build it all myself, rather than just going out and getting a part-kit. There are enough pieces here and there that I want custom. 

I haven't decided on handguards, uppers, BCG, etc. Like I said, I'm new. I wanted to get a super-light-weight titanium BCG, only as I was looking at them I found out that's more for competition-grade and not reliability for lot's 'o' shooting, hence why I found this forum to ask for help, realizing there's probably a lot more that I don't know and need advice on.

No idea what you're talking about but welcome to the forum. Great folks here. Might be a lad slow here today.

Welcome to the Armory. :tiphat:

I know you already own it and love it, but that bi-pod doesn't do it for me. The location at the magwell and how it attaches, well it just doesn't seem that functional. Cool looking yes, but there are better choices, Just my opinion. In my experience the farther forward you position the bipod the more stable the rifle.

Welcome!

il_794xN.1146074802_72ik.jpg

Welcome. One thought.....dump the binary trigger option.....you can thank me later. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Joel74 said:

Welcome to the Armory. :tiphat:

I know you already own it and love it, but that bi-pod doesn't do it for me. The location at the magwell and how it attaches, well it just doesn't seem that functional. Cool looking yes, but there are better choices, Just my opinion. In my experience the farther forward you position the bipod the more stable the rifle.

I can see why people wouldn't like it but it shifts weight backwards and the legs keep the rifle high enough that you can fit a 30 round mag comfortably, whereas with traditional bipods I usually have trouble with 30s and have to use smaller mags. I bought it for "cool factor,"  but the functionality actually won me over.

For this rifle if I didn't use the podium, I just wouldn't use a bipod at all. Maybe a forward-grip with a bipod pop-out.

Edited by Pharthan

1 minute ago, towtruck said:

Welcome. One thought.....dump the binary trigger option.....you can thank me later. 

Any particular reason why?

Welcome aboard!

For those not in the know...

2dR5Aaq.jpg

PSA Snek lower. That's snake with a cajun accent,  :D:

Let's talk barrels.

Looks like you going for an SPR build with the 18" rifle length barrel.

There can be issues with dwell time. So depending on who makes the barrel. You may have to open up the gas port to get the firearm to cycle properly.

Other way to go is to get a midlength gas system and install an adjustable gas block. This is what I did for my 18" barreled AR's.

look forward to see what you finally assemble.

Thanks,

Glenn

• Like 1

Welcome..as you see I like "sneks"..

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, geepee3 said:

Welcome aboard!

For those not in the know...

2dR5Aaq.jpg

PSA Snek lower. That's snake with a cajun accent,  :D:

Let's talk barrels.

Looks like you going for an SPR build with the 18" rifle length barrel.

There can be issues with dwell time. So depending on who makes the barrel. You may have to open up the gas port to get the firearm to cycle properly.

Other way to go is to get a midlength gas system and install an adjustable gas block. This is what I did for my 18" barreled AR's.

look forward to see what you finally assemble.

Thanks,

Glenn

Thanks for the advice, I’ll consider that; mid length is probably a better option. 

My other question for barrels would be: what twist-ratios would be good?

Also, mine isn't colored in:snek-lower_2_1.jpg

Edited by Pharthan
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pharthan said:

Thanks for the advice, I’ll consider that; mid length is probably a better option. 

My other question for barrels would be: what twist-ratios would be good?

I'll have to let someone else answer on the twist.

Don't own any .223/5.56 AR's.

My first AR was an 18" midlength 6x45mm so I could shoot a little heavier projectiles at magazine length.

So that others may help, what weight range of bullets do you plan to shoot?

Thanks,

Glenn

20 hours ago, Pharthan said:

Any particular reason why?

Yup......this................ "Found this forum because I began to realize I know far less about firearms than I thought I did". 

Binary triggers are a gimmick as are the set screw adjustable lowers that partially pull the trigger to make it seem better.. Beware of shiny objects and promises of greatness :laugh:      

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, towtruck said:

Yup......this................ "Found this forum because I began to realize I know far less about firearms than I thought I did". 

Binary triggers are a gimmick as are the set screw adjustable lowers that partially pull the trigger to make it seem better.. Beware of shiny objects and promises of greatness :laugh:      

It was recommended by a few friends of mine who know more than I do, and I realized my lower had the third selector position and I wanted to take advantage of "Mad Snek."

Is there anything inherently wrong with Frankin Arm's Binary trigger? Failure rate, etc?  If it's just "they cost a lot" I'm okay with that. If it genuinely sucks for another reason, that's something I'd love to know. Otherwise, I might take advantage of some 4th of July CMC trigger sales.

Edited by Pharthan

Welcome to the Armory ! !

You have found the right place for experienced guys who are willing to answer about any question.

You won't find any "go look it up" grumps here, as every circumstance is different. 

For 3 grand you could build one primo rifle ! 

Or you could buy an LMT, and be in heaven. (I'm projecting my own wants here)   :laugh:

Or a DD or a BCM.

I think of a "battle rifle" as a 'full power" cartridge like 7.62 x51. (.308 Win) 

What is your definition of a battle rifle ?

I would also be thinking about a 1-6X or 1-8X  scope with illuminated reticle instead of a magnified red dot. 

If you are wanting to stick with 5.56 but want to reach out further to touch someone, I think the scope would be a better choice,

and you would also want a 1:7 twist so you can use the heaviest bullets (with better ballistic coefficients) 

With your budget, you could pick up an LMT, DD, BCM, a higher end SIG, or the often overlooked FN Tactical, and the scope. 

I'm not trying to talk you out of building a rifle, just saying with that budget you have options. 

. BTW: I must agree about losing the binary trigger, if what you are talking about is a weapon that fires a round

when you pull the trigger, and again when you release the trigger. I think why that would be problematic would be obvious. Are you aware of any Military

or Police Department that uses them ? I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but I think many look at those triggers as a gimmick and for a range toy only

where your goal is to use ammo as quickly as possible. If you are looking for (best I can tell) a Designated Marksman Rifle to do long range and still get by with the 

CBQ type stuff, I can't imagine why you would want a binary trigger on it.

Bottom line:  Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.  

Welcome, good luck, and have fun !

John

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2019 at 6:48 PM, Retcop said:

Welcome to the Armory ! !

You have found the right place for experienced guys who are willing to answer about any question.

You won't find any "go look it up" grumps here, as every circumstance is different. 

For 3 grand you could build one primo rifle ! 

Or you could buy an LMT, and be in heaven. (I'm projecting my own wants here)   :laugh:

Or a DD or a BCM.

I think of a "battle rifle" as a 'full power" cartridge like 7.62 x51. (.308 Win) 

What is your definition of a battle rifle ?

I would also be thinking about a 1-6X or 1-8X  scope with illuminated reticle instead of a magnified red dot. 

If you are wanting to stick with 5.56 but want to reach out further to touch someone, I think the scope would be a better choice,

and you would also want a 1:7 twist so you can use the heaviest bullets (with better ballistic coefficients) 

With your budget, you could pick up an LMT, DD, BCM, a higher end SIG, or the often overlooked FN Tactical, and the scope. 

I'm not trying to talk you out of building a rifle, just saying with that budget you have options. 

. BTW: I must agree about losing the binary trigger, if what you are talking about is a weapon that fires a round

when you pull the trigger, and again when you release the trigger. I think why that would be problematic would be obvious. Are you aware of any Military

or Police Department that uses them ? I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but I think many look at those triggers as a gimmick and for a range toy only

where your goal is to use ammo as quickly as possible. If you are looking for (best I can tell) a Designated Marksman Rifle to do long range and still get by with the 

CBQ type stuff, I can't imagine why you would want a binary trigger on it.

Bottom line:  Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.  

Welcome, good luck, and have fun !

John

If it's just that it's gimmicky and pricey, that doesn't quite deter me enough to not buy it once. As for problematic, they've addressed the "what if you realize you only wanted one?" problem; they're designed now such that if you select single-fire, releasing the trigger does not loose a round. The current Franklin Arms model is just bad, sure. If they fail, sure, that's enough to convince me to not buy it and opt for a CMC or Geissle.
As for the "military doesn't use it," they've got better options than binary.

Buying a high-quality rifle outright would probably make my wife balk, and I'm rather fond of the notion of building my rifle, not having one with many like it. However, that got me thinking that an upper from a high-end brand might work well and meet my purposes. DD doesn't sell one that fits the criteria I want, since the suggestion of going from rifle-length gas-block to mid-length is probably a good one for what I want.

After some soul-searching, I think I've found the real reason I want this rifle; I want a fun-gun to treat myself after leaving the Navy, and to make it a bit of a joke; hence the "No Step On Snek" theme, and the notion of making a rifle well-suited for actual combat instead of just a range or just a bug-out weapon or competition; this I want to be my rifle that all the anti-gun detractors say I should never need, a weapon to continue the defense of the country now that I do not do it professionally. In that sense, I want subtle spite layered throughout the weapon.
As you guessed, I think I'm going more for a Designated Marksman's Rifle than a "battle rifle" don't know why I was saying that.

And in the end, if I don't like the binary, I should be able to swap it out; perhaps even sell it if it pains me that much. I've got a few friends who are looking at getting their own ARs since they've left the Navy as well.

Looking at handguards, I might be going with Coda Arms's carbon fiber M-lok, though I'll need rails for it. https://codaevolution.com/collections/handguards/products/lightning-carbon-fiber-handguard?variant=5313199865886

Edited by Pharthan