Sign in to follow this  
towtruck

It's a Jeep thing

The Jeep world has a weird hierarchy. Part of this hierarchy is the jeep wave but it goes well beyond that. I don't put to much stock into any of this but it has made me take notice of other peoples reactions and their investment into the hierarchy. The ladder of respect is funny and works backwards depending on how old or new your ride is. Today I had a guy in a Jeep get all bent out of shape at my Jeep. He looked so disgusted that a Jeep higher up this hierarchy dared to get into his space. I admired his Jeep as I pulled into the gas station where he was filling up. I noticed he was smiling and talking to someone as I pulled in to get gas. While I was paying at the pump and getting ready to pump I noticed him hiding behind a post peeking over at my Jeep. As I started gassing up he kept moving so I could not see him. I was checking out his mid 70's Jeep and thinking it looked nice. It was fairly stock with 33" tires, aftermarket wheels and a little shovel on the spare tire in the back. Everything else was pretty much original. Nice Jeep. Well, the guy gets in to leave and drives right past me with a scowl on his face and eyes locked forward. He hits the street and has to try and show off a tad and rev it up pretty hard between gears as he leaves. I had to laugh because it was at that moment I remembered the Jeep hierarchy. Different areas have different steps but they are fairly standard. Here are my observations of this complex Jeep hierarchy...

First off there are two subsets of people so these two subsets make a kind of dual hierarchy within the main one. The older generation like the older Jeeps and the younger like the new tricked out stuff. Today's guy was a little older than me.

New Jeeps are ranked by their useful modifications. The more you have the higher you go. You have to watch out though as modifications that do nothing but look pretty, or mods of every type out there, and even good mods but one's that you never use will down grade you to the status of Mall crawler....tricked out for looks and never see off road. Stock new Jeeps rank just above mall crawlers. The only way to rank lower than a mall crawler is to have a mod that cannot work....example: people will hang a Handy Man jack (bumper jack) on their Jeep in a conspicuous place. These Jacks are great tools and can be used as a winch to pull you out of a bind. I have seen these jacks on Jeeps that have plastic bumpers or fancy steel bumpers that have no way for that jack to work on them. Packing that jack when you cannot use it to actually lift your Jeep is negative points for sure. 

Next higher ranking goes to the old school Jeeps....Cj's always beat out any newer Jeep regardless of mods. With the older Jeeps the ranking goes up as they get older and they must have only period type mods to keep their place on the list. The old Willy's military Jeeps command the most respect. Condition is key as the most stock or original wins but daily drivers beat garage queens any day. 

Within all these year models you also gain respect by how you use your Jeep. Off road and working Jeeps gain you points.  

The Jeep wave means newer Jeeps must wave first. If they are the same year, Jeeps meeting each other, the lower class Jeep must wave first. No doors on your ride means you must wave out the open door. Only 30% of Jeeps in my area do the Jeep wave. I have it pretty easy because my Jeep ranks pretty high and most others must wave first...it saves me the trouble of wondering if they will do the wave. 

There are some Jeeper's that know they are lower on the food chain but just have to let you know they are cooler than you. There is a guy with a newer Jeep (square headlamp model) that knows he must bow down and wave first when he meets me but he always burps the throttle to blow a little smoke to let me know that he is king in the new Jeep hierarchy as he installed a diesel engine. The split from new to old Jeeps is around the time they had square headlamps. Those Jeeps are wobblers and can fit into either category  if equipped correctly but most fall near the bottom of each set. 

The nuances are endless. Today's guy recognized his mid 70's, slightly modified and touched up, never sees rough use, nice plain CJ5 Jeep had to bow down to the '68 all stock, just came out of the woods loaded down with logging gear, brush raked and dusty, gas can toting, antique winch using, well worn and driven hard overdrive equipped Jeep that is known as Apple  :ROFLLMAO:

• Like 1

:thumb::hysterical3:

And then you have Jeeps who look down at all other 4x4 made.....they are superior and nothing comes close.......

Parked the Raptor behind a really nice custom jeep build with NJ plates @ Little Round Top today.......guy comes out as we are going up...."nice Jeep man" his reply"better than that POS Raptor" :dontknow:

I don't get it either. A nice ride is a nice ride. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rampy said:

And then you have Jeeps who look down at all other 4x4 made.....they are superior and nothing comes close.......

Parked the Raptor behind a really nice custom jeep build with NJ plates @ Little Round Top today.......guy comes out as we are going up...."nice Jeep man" his reply"better than that POS Raptor" :dontknow:

Years ago I had a 3/4 ton Chevy long bed 6.2 diesel 4x4 with super low gears. I was out crawling around a popular spot for off roading and saw a guy in a Toyota pickup trying to climb this near vertical bank. He was going fast, then slow and I watched him for a while as he never made it up the hill before he drove off and around behind this drop off. I wandered over and put my old truck onto granny low and just let it idle up the bank. As I neared the top I obviously could not see the road ahead. I heard a loud fan noise in front of me so I stopped. My front bumper was right at the top edge of the drop off and I was as vertical as I have ever been. I was holding the brake listening for what made the sound when Toyota guy walks over where I can see him and says he is going to go down the hill. He tells me when I back down to get out of his way. I politely asked him to back up so I could finish going up the hill. He laughed and told me I would never get rolling again. He mentioned my skinny bald tires and heavy truck would not make it. I then told him firmly to back up and honk his horn when he was clear.  He did it and I let off the clutch and never spun a tire and just crawled right over the top from a dead stop nearly vertical. I stopped next to him at the top to shoot the shat and he just pulled out and went down the hill and left the area. 

I had a stock little '92 Jeep that was worthless off road as it did not weigh enough to get any traction. This guys Toyota suffered the same fate. They are really fun on wet ground but don't do well in dry rocky stuff. The heavy diesels love dry rocky ground and sink like a battle ship in the mud. My current Jeep has the right balance of weight that makes it a dream off road. It will climb anything... but that old diesel of mine would give it a run for the money as it would go 1/3 the speed my Jeep does in low range. 

• Like 1

You're spot on with the Jeep hierarchy. Flatfenders of any condition are at the top of the food chain, and all other Jeeps must initiate the Jeep wave. It then generally proceeds in order of age, and in case of a tie, nod goes to the most useful off-road. I am currently both near the top, and near the bottom of the food chain. I have a '67 CJ5 that is primarily a trail cruiser, and it's got just enough doo-dads on it that are actually useful, that I can claim the top of the totem unless a flatfender comes in. And, the new 2020 Gladiator is still rock-stock. It's mods aren't coming for a little while, but they'll be useful mods once I start firing up the parts cannon. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, towtruck said:

Years ago I had a 3/4 ton Chevy long bed 6.2 diesel 4x4 with super low gears. I was out crawling around a popular spot for off roading and saw a guy in a Toyota pickup trying to climb this near vertical bank. He was going fast, then slow and I watched him for a while as he never made it up the hill before he drove off and around behind this drop off. I wandered over and put my old truck onto granny low and just let it idle up the bank. As I neared the top I obviously could not see the road ahead. I heard a loud fan noise in front of me so I stopped. My front bumper was right at the top edge of the drop off and I was as vertical as I have ever been. I was holding the brake listening for what made the sound when Toyota guy walks over where I can see him and says he is going to go down the hill. He tells me when I back down to get out of his way. I politely asked him to back up so I could finish going up the hill. He laughed and told me I would never get rolling again. He mentioned my skinny bald tires and heavy truck would not make it. I then told him firmly to back up and honk his horn when he was clear.  He did it and I let off the clutch and never spun a tire and just crawled right over the top from a dead stop nearly vertical. I stopped next to him at the top to shoot the shat and he just pulled out and went down the hill and left the area. 

I had a stock little '92 Jeep that was worthless off road as it did not weigh enough to get any traction. This guys Toyota suffered the same fate. They are really fun on wet ground but don't do well in dry rocky stuff. The heavy diesels love dry rocky ground and sink like a battle ship in the mud. My current Jeep has the right balance of weight that makes it a dream off road. It will climb anything... but that old diesel of mine would give it a run for the money as it would go 1/3 the speed my Jeep does in low range. 

This.......

we were laughed at, made fun of, talked shat about unmercifully at Easter Jeep Safari 99 when we took the 97 F250 Powerstroke Diesel 4x4 that had good BFG tires ground clearance and a Detroit locker....

we went places jeeps spun all 4 and had trouble climbing slickrock, keepers talking shat stood by watching like slack jawed rednecks....

the weight, tires and Detroit locker combined with 5 speed and driving in 4 low/3rd or 4th gear  to make it a great ride and fun....

even made centerfold of a diesel truck magazine dragging the rear tires in the air... 

• Like 1

Spot on!

I have a 2017. I actually "Use" my jeep for more then a daily driver.

We do several Overland Trips a Year and I use it at the Farm all the time especially during Hunting season.  Mine is not "modded" out. I have a 2.5 inch American expeditionary vehicles (AEV) suspension lift with BFG 33's (285/75-17) They give a little larger tire without being gaudy and unusable. I have a Mounted Superwhich 9500 (which I actually use not only on the trail, but at the farm and around the house)  I also have a tailgate rack that carrys alot of "overland" gear when on the trail.  

Around hear we have a large college, UofSC , and they DO NOT wave, also all the Super Modded Mall Crawlers rarely wave. Once your a jeep "operator/user" you recognize if a Jeep is a Mall Crawler or a Jeep Enthusiast and I pretty much always get waves from the later.  

OH and the new Jeep JL model NEVER wave....  loosers.... LOL

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mack68 said:

OH and the new Jeep JL model NEVER wave....  loosers.... LOL

I can usually tell by the driver. If they have a flat brim ball cap, they're not going to wave. If they have a pair of "ironic" glasses on, they won't wave. I don't care, I wave at all of them. It's a Jeep thing. If they don't get it, then that's ok, I do. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pepper said:

I can usually tell by the driver. If they have a flat brim ball cap, they're not going to wave. If they have a pair of "ironic" glasses on, they won't wave. I don't care, I wave at all of them. It's a Jeep thing. If they don't get it, then that's ok, I do. 

I’m not a Jeep person. However, I really enjoy reading all your stories. And you nailed it on the ball cap! The first kid that mentioned dating my oldest daughter had one. I took his really expensive straight brimmed cap off his head and promptly curved the shat out of it. I gave it back and said if you wanna date my daughter you have to look like a male first.😂

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I don't get the whole wave thing.  Like you said, a nice ride is a nice ride. And everyone has to start somewhere.

The wave from certain Harley riders was one the reasons to not buy another Harley for me.

When people wait to see what you're riding before they wave, I just shake my head. Back in the day, they'd be called a poser. 

Edited by Casper

When CJ's were the only thing running around , still pretty much stock, the brotherhood meant something.  Now its more fractured and I see new Wranglers running around here in FL with missing fenders, big ol stinger front bumpers, a foot and a half of lift and tractor tires on them pulling in the convenience store for a Red Bull and a Black and Mild.  Certainly not the "rugged outdoor enthusiast" of the past.  My buddy bought a new Wrangler and immediately voided the warranty by ripping out both axles and going with bigger stuff.  He has no sway bar links for "articulation" but makes the Jeep very unstable.  I asked him if there was truly any use for all that articulation in Florida and of course he said yes.  I laugh at this and all the mods more geared for a rock crawler than a mud boggin swamp critter truly more suited to our topography.  It looks cool tho.  To each his own. 

5 hours ago, hlhneast said:

When CJ's were the only thing running around , still pretty much stock, the brotherhood meant something.  Now its more fractured and I see new Wranglers running around here in FL with missing fenders, big ol stinger front bumpers, a foot and a half of lift and tractor tires on them pulling in the convenience store for a Red Bull and a Black and Mild.  Certainly not the "rugged outdoor enthusiast" of the past.  My buddy bought a new Wrangler and immediately voided the warranty by ripping out both axles and going with bigger stuff.  He has no sway bar links for "articulation" but makes the Jeep very unstable.  I asked him if there was truly any use for all that articulation in Florida and of course he said yes.  I laugh at this and all the mods more geared for a rock crawler than a mud boggin swamp critter truly more suited to our topography.  It looks cool tho.  To each his own. 

yeah people go Overboard with Mods. I only added a minimum to get the performace i wanted for Overland Trips.