We had been eagerly anticipating the launch of the 2020 Jeep Gladiator, and if it wasn't butchered by FCA, knew we were going to jump on one. The concepts had us drooling over the last few years, but they changed it up a bit. I would have done a couple things differently, but can understand why they went the direction they did. Wednesday night we went out and picked one up. I had been shopping around for several weeks. Most local dealerships wanted between $3k and some as much as $10k over MSRP for them. Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg Idaho is selling for about $2k under MSRP, but they make it up on volume. I had been haunting Jeep's website, looking at local availability, configuring what I wanted on their list of options. Well, lo and behold, I found one at a dealership about an hour away. AND, they weren't marking it up over MSRP. I think I did ok, especially it being a brand new model that they can't keep in dealerships, this one was on the dealer lot for 4 days, in the showroom for 2. 

This is on the way home, with under 40 miles on it:

20190703_202432.jpg

Congratulations Pepper!

Oh cool you bought one!  Congratulations.  That's making quite the stir with the folks who don't drive blah cars. 

Very nice!!!   Congrats.

That is nice. I would like to know more about the Jeep.

Everybody is getting a new vehicle but me.

That's nice. Really nice. Congrats!

6 minutes ago, NONEYA said:

That is nice. I would like to know more about the Jeep.

Everybody is getting a new vehicle but me.

I really dug around, looking for exactly what I wanted, and nothing I didn't. For utility, I got the max towing package, which gave it 4.10 gears with wide track, heavy duty cooling, and a Class IV hitch. Limited slip rear diff, and the rock sliders. I got the premium sound system because I like my tunes, but didn't go all out on the creature comforts. I stuck with the "Sport S" model, and didn't go for the luxury "Overland" model. The Rubicon gives some really cool features that would really appeal to someone who was going to use it a bunch off road, like electric swaybar disconnects, and a super-low 4L gear ratio in the transfer case, but I couldn't justify the expense for this purchase since it will not be seeing anything hard core. I did make sure it had full skid plates however, whether I'll need them or not. I did get the heated mirrors, seats, and steering wheel. I'll say it, I'm turning into a pansy in the cold, I don't like it anymore. 

Three piece removable hard top, making it the only convertible truck on the market. Not sure I'll do anything more than maybe pull the front panels on nice days. One cool feature was the programmable accessory switches. They weren't on my list of must haves, but it would appear as though there is accessory light wiring tucked away, and they can be programmed to come on with the regular lights, etc. I think. It came with four of these switches. I'm still figuring things out. I'm thinking about copying one of their options that I didn't get, only doing it better. They had as an option, a 110V outlet in the bed, but it was limited to 400w. That's not enough to do much at all, anything with a motor that you'd plug in would go right past that. I'm thinking of using one of those programmable switches and an old 1500w inverter I've got laying around to duplicate that option, only with more usable power. It would make it much more utilitarian for working away from the house/garage. 

One of the cool "easter eggs" is their nod to the old flatfenders. In the headlights is the grille outline of a flatfender, then on the windshield in the corner and on each wheel, is the outline of a flatfender Jeep. I thought that was pretty cool way to acknowledge the heritage of the brand. After having several Jeeps over the years, this one is still a Jeep, with the Jeep shortcomings. But, this one handles better than any Jeep I've owned before, and has much better road manners. No one will mistake it for a racecar, but it's light years ahead of the older ones on the road in refined driving manners. Towing capacity is just under 8k, and I think mine will see a little use pulling a boat, and maybe a utility trailer at some point, but that's about it. IIRC, in-bed payload is 1,600 pounds, which is a lot for that stubby 5' something bed. I've already ordered the roll-on bedliner for it, it will work once in a while hauling hay or whatever. 

My daughter was bummed that we were getting rid of the old TJ, but once she got to see the new one, she's a big fan. The TJ was a little more off-road oriented, and it showed with somewhat poor manners on road. It was underpowered, sometimes struggling to maintain 70-75 on the freeway, loud as hell inside at any normal speed, this is just light years more refined. A long trip in this wouldn't be uncomfortable, enough creature comforts to make it a pleasant experience, getting places in the TJ was just tiring. It would always get where it was going, but you could tell that it really would shine off-road, and it did.

For a dual purpose rig that is going to work out great. A buddy has a newer four door Sahara model and I really like it. I could not believe the first time I rode in it and closed the door...it still sounds like my old '92 jeep door. Lots of plastic on the new Jeeps and I would hate to own one myself as I am hard on interiors by not cleaning them much. His Jeep looked like a nightmare to clean on the inside. He will never take it off road so it will always stay clean.  The little flat fender stickers all over the place are kinda cool to see. 

I just noticed something....how does that windshield lay down with those wipers in the way?

3 hours ago, towtruck said:

I just noticed something....how does that windshield lay down with those wipers in the way?

Well, now we hit one of my gripes. It lays down, in theory. You're supposed to pull the wiper arms off to lay it down. IMNSHO, they built it that way so that they can say it still lays down, all the while knowing that 99.9% of owners never will. I won't. I didn't in the wife's old TJ. I rarely do on my CJ. But thanks for reminding me, I broke the hold down strap for my CJ a while back, need to order a new one. The original was dry rotted and just snapped when I tried to tighten it down. 

12 minutes ago, Pepper said:

Well, now we hit one of my gripes. It lays down, in theory. You're supposed to pull the wiper arms off to lay it down. IMNSHO, they built it that way so that they can say it still lays down, all the while knowing that 99.9% of owners never will. I won't. I didn't in the wife's old TJ. I rarely do on my CJ. But thanks for reminding me, I broke the hold down strap for my CJ a while back, need to order a new one. The original was dry rotted and just snapped when I tried to tighten it down. 

Our old '92 Jeep window leaked at that gasket and with the roll bar attached to the window there is no laying that one down. I drop mine all the time in the woods but like you I would never drop your new one.   I would want that seal to stay tight.  

Posted (edited)

Congratulations  !

That not only looks great, but it also seems very practical with all the 

different ways to set it up. Very glad to see that it is a real 4WD, and Jeep

held true to that. 

Enjoy, my friend, you deserve it  !    

I'm happy for you. 

John

Edited by Retcop

2 hours ago, towtruck said:

Our old '92 Jeep window leaked at that gasket and with the roll bar attached to the window there is no laying that one down. I drop mine all the time in the woods but like you I would never drop your new one.   I would want that seal to stay tight.  

You can lay it down, it was like the wife's TJ, the '99. You have to pull the Torx bolts at the windshield, and then it looks goofy if you don't pull the bars over the door openings. We did it exactly once, it was too much to goof with. Even then, you had to pull the wiper arms. 

Nice Pepper!

Very cool, now get out there and scratch the paint and put some miles on her :tiphat:

Have not seen one yet, have read lots and know a couple dying to get them......

Sounds like they hopefully did it right and made a great utility/road trip/off road vehicle in one package

How about tires, ya going to upgrade them??