Pepper

My new ride...

Nice ride. Now I want to see one in person. 

19 hours ago, towtruck said:

I like that too.

I was about to ask pepper about a lightweight (easily removable) cap for it. 

Just put a block and tackle up in the garage hook her up and she is off and stored well...

But your concept pic is a bit more involved than I had envisioned, but looks way cool imo.

13 hours ago, Rampy said:

That's WAY cool. 

I wish I had thought about something like that when the wife and I were still working and the kids had graduated college...

Wish in one hand and spit in another....

I would have liked to here about the composition and size of the mattress, or what in addition would fit on the floor (and ideas for storage.)

We have some quality air mattresses that while not bad would pretzel my back after a while. I can't think of another way to store more sleep area unless it was air. 

The electrical stuff seems so convenient.  The wife and I did a fair amount of tent camping in the past (and when I was a kid), but I believe those days are over. 

We also spent 3 weeks tent camping the Moab, Utah area before the kids started coming.  (Our delayed honeymoon) 

Is the off road model the lady went over on the video, is that the 50 grand + model ? 

On 7/7/2019 at 10:52 AM, Retcop said:

That's WAY cool. 

I wish I had thought about something like that when the wife and I were still working and the kids had graduated college...

Wish in one hand and spit in another....

I would have liked to here about the composition and size of the mattress, or what in addition would fit on the floor (and ideas for storage.)

We have some quality air mattresses that while not bad would pretzel my back after a while. I can't think of another way to store more sleep area unless it was air. 

The electrical stuff seems so convenient.  The wife and I did a fair amount of tent camping in the past (and when I was a kid), but I believe those days are over. 

We also spent 3 weeks tent camping the Moab, Utah area before the kids started coming.  (Our delayed honeymoon) 

Is the off road model the lady went over on the video, is that the 50 grand + model ? 

The Hiker brand trailer/camper thats made in Denver and Noblesville, IN don't get close to $50k.......you would be hard pressed to build one fully loaded with all the bells and whistles and then some higher than $23k at the most I'm guessing.....I'm waiting to hear back from them about building a Hiker Extreme off road with AC and that's the most expensive one they make.........

On 7/5/2019 at 1:11 AM, Pepper said:

We had been eagerly anticipating the launch of the 2020 Jeep Gladiator, and if it wasn't butchered by FCA, knew we were going to jump on one. The concepts had us drooling over the last few years, but they changed it up a bit. I would have done a couple things differently, but can understand why they went the direction they did. Wednesday night we went out and picked one up. I had been shopping around for several weeks. Most local dealerships wanted between $3k and some as much as $10k over MSRP for them. Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg Idaho is selling for about $2k under MSRP, but they make it up on volume. I had been haunting Jeep's website, looking at local availability, configuring what I wanted on their list of options. Well, lo and behold, I found one at a dealership about an hour away. AND, they weren't marking it up over MSRP. I think I did ok, especially it being a brand new model that they can't keep in dealerships, this one was on the dealer lot for 4 days, in the showroom for 2. 

This is on the way home, with under 40 miles on it:

20190703_202432.jpg

Need to take your baby and turn it into something like this:

My wife is refusing to drive it to work right now, she doesn't want it door-dinged. I'm not sure I'm going to let the paint get scratched just yet. 

It is going to get a lift and some better tires. BUT, I'm cheap. I don't mind paying for good quality stuff if I need it, but to just toss four perfectly good tires that won't have much value for resale... I'm not so sure I can bring myself to do that just yet. 

Well since you’ve owned jeeps for awhile. You know what they stand for. For a lift I’d suggest Meatlcloak they are one of the best and still affordable. If you put bigger tires on then you may need to regear.

To protect from door dings. Get a good set of steel side steps. Other people’s doors will hit the side step and you will protect your doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 7/13/2019 at 1:42 PM, kobelup said:

Well since you’ve owned jeeps for awhile. You know what they stand for. For a lift I’d suggest Meatlcloak they are one of the best and still affordable. If you put bigger tires on then you may need to regear.

To protect from door dings. Get a good set of steel side steps. Other people’s doors will hit the side step and you will protect your doors.

It came with steel side steps, I'm hoping that's enough. I'm going to look into Metalcloak, I've heard good things. We're probably going up to a 35" tire, so I won't need more than about a 3" lift, at most. I got it with 4.11 gears, so unless I'm dragging a trailer that makes it close to maximum, I'll probably be ok on gearing. Mileage will take a bit of a hit, but I'm all right with that. 

It came with steel side steps, I'm hoping that's enough. I'm going to look into Metalcloak, I've heard good things. We're probably going up to a 35" tire, so I won't need more than about a 3" lift, at most. I got it with 4.11 gears, so unless I'm dragging a trailer that makes it close to maximum, I'll probably be ok on gearing. Mileage will take a bit of a hit, but I'm all right with that. 

Not sure if the gladiator will get the same as a JL or if it will be totally different. When I did 35” tires on my jku I regeared to 411 from the 373. Gas mileage went from 20 to 13. But as you know, you don’t buy a Jeep for gas mileage. Personally I wish I geared to 456 just because it would help a little more since I added steel bumpers, winch and have the extra 35 on the back. At least going up hills.

20 minutes ago, kobelup said:

Not sure if the gladiator will get the same as a JL or if it will be totally different. When I did 35” tires on my jku I regeared to 411 from the 373. Gas mileage went from 20 to 13. But as you know, you don’t buy a Jeep for gas mileage. Personally I wish I geared to 456 just because it would help a little more since I added steel bumpers, winch and have the extra 35 on the back. At least going up hills.

It's supposed to share suspension with the JL series. It's basically a lengthened JL with a bed. We took a bit of a trip with it last week, over 300 miles, got 23mpg going up and down mountains. If it drops to 15 or so, I won't complain much. 

• Like 1

sweet!

3 hours ago, gshayd said:

sweet!

So about the time you posted that, the wife gave it it's first damage. She backed it into a pole at my daughter's softball practice, tweaked the back bumper, and dinged the tailgate. She's mortified, and while I'm not excited about it, figure accidents happen. This is her first "at fault" accident really, so I think she's earned a pass on this one, even though the deductible is going to hit at a bad time. 

6 hours ago, Pepper said:

So about the time you posted that, the wife gave it it's first damage. She backed it into a pole at my daughter's softball practice, tweaked the back bumper, and dinged the tailgate. She's mortified, and while I'm not excited about it, figure accidents happen. This is her first "at fault" accident really, so I think she's earned a pass on this one, even though the deductible is going to hit at a bad time. 

Woo-Hoo!    Time to modify things now....tube bumpers, rock sliders, a lift, more lights........you know, all for her safety :laugh:

p.s. Sorry she got dinged...life happens. 

13 hours ago, Pepper said:

That does suck, but it gives ya a chance to upgrade & if insurance will pay for part/some/most of the upgrades it’s bonus points :D:

However, now you can tell the wife you need the upgrades vs waiting for them And doing them twice since she did the damage :laugh:

Don’t worry to much about dings and stuff. My wife tried to drive my 3 day old Jeep through the front of our garage. Shortly after I got steel bumpers.