Some of you may have read my other post that talked about the flood I had at my house. My safe was underwater for a week and when I got it open the guns had a little rust.

First let me say that aimpoint is worth the money. I have left my aimpoint on for the last year and even after a week underwater it still worked. I won’t hesitate to buy another aimpoint pro. My Sig sauer Romeo filled with water and doesn’t work. And the primary arms red dot is also dead.

Lests talk bcg’s. I have owned nickel boron coated for a few years and found them to be easy to clean and I also used the nitride coated, but I liked the nickel look and had them in my favorite rifles. c5cf9e5d378d892b325e9567399506b6.jpg

Here are the bcg’s fresh out of the rifles. The only things done to them was rinse and rim oil once they were removed from the safe.

e161535894977df1106f27c4f4cb1e80.jpg

This is right after I hosed them off before I started to tear down and clean.

The nitride coated is the way to go. I would have taken more pics but my hands were messy. Just wanted to pass along a little info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That's very interesting. 

Did not realize the nickel boron would be such a let down in corrosion resistance.

BTW, I wish the Military would conduct some studies with chrome lined vs. nitride barrels in regard to

corrosion resistance, longevity, and relatively high rates of fire. You could throw accuracy in there, but 

each barrel has its own potential there. 

Glad to hear about the Aimpoint, a little surprised SIG is putting their name on "waterproof" sights that

are obviously not waterproof. 

Thanks for posting !  That's enough for me to go with the nitrided.

Questions: can you tell if the water got in through the door seals, or did you have holes 

for bolting to the floor that were not plugged ?   

You know the brands of the bolts ?   

John 

Questions: can you tell if the water got in through the door seals, or did you have holes 
for bolting to the floor that were not plugged ?   
You know the brands of the bolts ?   

John 

The water came out through the sides of the door, so I think that either the seals didn’t last long.

The bcg’s were both aim surplus brand, the other bcg I cleaned was fail zero and the nickel boron didn’t hold up any better then the aim surplus brand.

7 hours ago, kobelup said:

The nitride coated is the way to go.

Good to know. Thanks.

Sorry your misfortune is teaching us something.

• Like 1

Good info.

Here is what my opinion is on what magazines I could find. be3899c2b8b6e0973bfe2a5f3045a9a1.jpgthis is an Hk mag after spraying it off with the hose. Wish I remembered to take pics before I sprayed them off. aceeeb649e0f9a7e30eaa2eb4c4d2e25.jpg
Magpul same deal garden hose.
They both cleaned up real nice, but in my opinion for a flood magazine. I’d choose the magpul, it had less mud in the mag. The spring looked cleaner and overall it was much easier to get looking nice.
The Hk had considerable more mud and took more scrubbing with a brush to clean up the inside of the mag. And the spring needed more cleaning cause of whatever lubricant they had on the spring. 777adaeed14835a26d0406d38a5264f7.jpgmy sig Romeo. Definitely not waterproof.

Those are interesting. At least most of it will clean up in the AR department. I wonder what the FCG's will look like when you pull them down. Any wood stocked stuff in there?

Greg

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2019 at 6:25 AM, kobelup said:

Some of you may have read my other post that talked about the flood I had at my house. My safe was underwater for a week and when I got it open the guns had a little rust.

First let me say that aimpoint is worth the money. I have left my aimpoint on for the last year and even after a week underwater it still worked. I won’t hesitate to buy another aimpoint pro. My Sig sauer Romeo filled with water and doesn’t work. And the primary arms red dot is also dead.

Lests talk bcg’s. I have owned nickel boron coated for a few years and found them to be easy to clean and I also used the nitride coated, but I liked the nickel look and had them in my favorite rifles. c5cf9e5d378d892b325e9567399506b6.jpg

Here are the bcg’s fresh out of the rifles. The only things done to them was rinse and rim oil once they were removed from the safe.

e161535894977df1106f27c4f4cb1e80.jpg

This is right after I hosed them off before I started to tear down and clean.

The nitride coated is the way to go. I would have taken more pics but my hands were messy. Just wanted to pass along a little info.

Nitride is not a coating. it infuses nitrogen into the metal and is a heat treating process. It creates a case hardened surface.  As with metals and treatments it probably says corrosion resistant. We see a coating. The boron coating is not corrosion proof either.

Edited by gshayd

Posted (edited)

P.S. If I remember right that Sig Romeo may be rated for water 1 meter deep? I suggest you contact them and ask. 

Edited by gshayd

P.S. If I remember right that Sig Romeo may be rated for water 1 meter deep? I suggest you contact them and ask. 

I looked them up and it is 1 meter for a half hour. Now the aimpoint pro survived its time underwater just like I knew it would.

I didn’t know about the coating or lack of. I purchased them because of price and what they said about the product and never thought of them being stuck in water for a week.

Of course it never hurts to reach out to the company. Often times they are more than accommodating.

Greg

• Like 1

I looked them up and it is 1 meter for a half hour. Now the aimpoint pro survived its time underwater just like I knew it would.

I didn’t know about the coating or lack of. I purchased them because of price and what they said about the product and never thought of them being stuck in water for a week.

Sounds like theyre water resistant not water proof. How do they advertise them? Because if they say water proof then they might need to change their advertising

Sounds like theyre water resistant not water proof. How do they advertise them? Because if they say water proof then they might need to change their advertising

It says waterproof and gives a rating. The rating states 1 meter for a half hour. So basically a causal dip in the water.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, GLShooter said:

Of course it never hurts to reach out to the company. Often times they are more than accommodating.

Greg

Second, that tell them your tragic tale and they might help you out. Goodwill can't be put on the books with a value but I guarantee you it generates revenue.

Edited by gshayd
  • Like 1

You can also contact aimpoint and they will probably send you some swag.