redbarron06

What the hell happened?

So for the first time in a couple of years I decided to crank out some 223 this weekend.   Trying to get all of my mags topped back off.  Well I ran out of the powder I was using one mag short.  OK it happens.  I have some other powders I have used for 223 rage fodder in the past.  I open the drawer and start pulling out pound jugs looking for what I have used in the past for 223 mixed in with the stuff for my pistol and precision large bore raffle powders.  

Well I grab a jug of Accurate 2495 and notice that it looks like something has leaked on the edge of the top.  I look around and nothing else has any evidence of anything leaking on it.  I open the jug and look inside and rather than the powder being the normal dark grey/charcoal color its more of a bronze and has enough ammonia smell to knock you on your ass.  

WTF happened?

Sounds like it got hot and broke down....strange that the other powders seem fine though.

Maybe you didn't have that one cranked down quite enough to be air tight.. I know you get a bit of humidity up there. Out of curiosity where do you store your powder?

Greg

Just now, GLShooter said:

Maybe you didn't have that one cranked down quite enough to be air tight.. I know you get a bit of humidity up there. Out of curiosity where do you store your powder?

Greg

I have always stored it in the garage.  It’s in a filing drawer in a metal cabinet.

I suspect heat and dampness got to it. If I recall my time in OKLA. I sweated a bit..LOL  I've got stuff on the shelf that is way over 30 years old and it is still good I've been shooting lately.

Greg

That IS odd.

Ive use up some unique and bullseye that was over 20 years old with no issue.  Somehow it got compromised.

I don't store any primers or powder outside of the house though.  Only things in the shed or garage are the other components not susceptible to heat and moisture.