ewallover

Am I overthinking this?

So I have a Burris Fullfield II 2x7x35 with the TAC II capped low profile turrets without a home.  It has a 1” tube, and the glass is pretty darn good - (bright and clean) for a relatively inexpensive optic.  I’m finishing up my American 30  KISS AR with an 18” barrel and have always intended to mount this scope on this rifle as this cartridge is not intended to be a “long range” shooter.  I have the right height rings to provide a nice tight cheek weld and still get a complete sight picture through the tube via a BDC reticle (with a fairly bold crosshair).

Here is the question, I have 2 Vortex Viper 2-1/2x10x44s, one on my 6.8 SPC Stag 7ML and a  second on a 7mm-08 Remmy 700 and I just realized Vortex offers the same scope in an HS version with out tactical turrets or a more complex reticle.  A BDC MOA non-illuminated reticle sure would be a nice way to top off this rifle.  But will the slightly more powerful 30 mm tube really make all that much difference?  I really don’t see me taking a shot much over 200 yards here in PA (at varmints so far due to our boneheaded legislature) or out west with my son maybe 300 yards on a deer or antelope.   I have 110, 125, 150 grain spritzers, and 130 and 150 grain flat nose 30-30 bullets to load up for the A30, so long distance shooting is not the focus of this rifle.  Or at least I don’t think so...

Should I just mount what I have,  or pick up a Viper HS because Vortex has a nasty habit of dropping things I really like?  I have another Burris 1x4x24 MTAC on my 16” carbine and it really is a nice scope, so I do have other Burris kit in the safe.  But I do like my Vortex scopes. I have a Vortex 4x16x44 HST sitting atop my 6x6.8 and it is a great piece of glass.  The 2-1/2x10x44 would set up identically to my 6x6.8.  Just curious to get your thoughts...

Yep, I was and am!  There is no significant difference between a 1” tube vs. a 30mm scope inside 500 yards.  That little 2x7x35 has more than enough vertical adjustment for the American 30 cartridge within that range.  I’m going to use the money saved for powder, bullets, more brass, and reloading stuff and maybe even a powered cartridge trimmer. That little Burris scope will be just fine...Sorry Vortex, maybe next time...

I put a Vortex  2-7x 32 Crossfire II on my .350 Legend and 2-7x x32 Redfield on my .458 SOCOM. That should be plenty for those rifles.

How do you like that .350 Legend?  Seems like an interesting round, not that I need another AR....

Yes, you must have a .350 Legend AR. The deers will be pointing and laughing at you for not having one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1