Sign in to follow this  
TomJefferson

Weekend Dry Run for my "Easy Rider"

You guys may know, I retired June 1st and every day since then I've been riding my motorcycles in preparation for my "Easy Rider" a trip out west destination Yellowstone hitting the last two rides on my bucket list one in CO and one in Montana, plus a few nice to sees thrown in.  A guy my age can't just hop on a motorcycle and go cross country so I've been conditioning myself and testing gear. 

This weekend I was invited to a party in KY, 4.5 hour drive time from my location in the Smoky Mountains so I hopped on my Harley and off I went. 

Trip up, 5 hours with stops, 92 degrees but lower humidity than home so super nice run.  I simply threw the cruise control on, kicked back on my back rest, put my feet up on my highway pegs, and cranked up the tunes.  I arrived relaxed enough to do the party then go visit old friends.  A Harley tour bike is in its elements on the freeway man.  I've had cars not so comfortable on trips. 

Return trip, different story entirely.  Holiday long weekend a last day Sunday, I 75 was bumper to bumper with crazies and the weather turned from 92 sunny to 75 and torrential rain.  There was too many slow downs to a crawl to remember and one major accident that shut the interstate completely down.  My five hour time turned into 7.5 hours with additional stops to gear up.  I had more four wheelers try to kill me than I normally do in a year.  Its amazing what idiots will do to get 18' farther ahead and despite me cruising 5 mph over, how fast they think they can go in bumper to bumper.  They were going by me in a blurr only to have to slam the brakes just down the road.  No wonder the accident that closed the interstate a big ole SUV was upside down and in pieces with two other cars so demolished I couldn't tell you what they were just hunks of wreckage. 

Bright spots, my Harley Street Glide handled the wet road as well if not better than many cars.  The Rain X for plastic repelled water from my windshield and face shield of my tour helmet.  Best of all, my new rain suit, Milwaukee, worked better than any I've ever owned.  I arrived home tired but dry. 

I can't speak more highly of that new rain suit.  It zips up the entire leg so easy to put on, all zippers have velcro lapping, heat sheilds on the legs, and for the first time ever no water down the neck because it velcros at the neck.  Helps living where I do and asking all those tour guys what's the best. 

As for endurance, I pretty much look Hispanic now from the sun and I figure I'm at two days running then take one day off repeat so far.  I put in 4-6 hours a day when at home. 

I'm working on the timing now.  Got two weddings I have to go to, things like that.  I'll let you guys know when and start updating when I do.  I've had quite a few of you fellas from the boards stop by here to say "Hi" and even stay a day or two in the past so hope to meet some of you all I haven't met at the shoots.  Those of you that do know me won't recognize me.  I'm 80lbs lighter and in the best shape I've been in years not to mention being so dark and a beard.  Sorry I have no plans of visiting any state that doesn't allow CCW and/or doesn't have a reciprocal with TN.  Right now I am thinking TN to Nashville then north through KY, MO, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, Dakotas, and kind of open on the return leg.  If froggy I might cut over the the left coast kind of a jog in and out.  Got a niece in southern Oregon.

Keep the rubber side down.

Tj

So, no Texas nostalgia?

3 hours ago, Snake46 said:

So, no Texas nostalgia?

Since you asked.  Meet folks here from TX almost every day.  They tell me the Twisted Sisters is patched now and open.  The patch is smooth as hell but the rest of the road still rough as a cob.  I found that amusing because it was rough as a cob when I ran those roads.  Not much changes I reckon. 

Been awhile for me..