Sign in to follow this  
MontanaLon

The Great Zombie Chainsaw thread

So as some of you know, I spent my vacation in Northern Michigan and in my traipsing around the summer woods, what my children like to refer to as "The Roscommon Death March of 2019", we found an abandoned chainsaw. How it ended up where it was I am not sure, but it was far enough off the "road", really a woody 2 track, that it didn't likely fall off a vehicle accidentally. More likely than not, someone was cutting something and it crapped out on them mid cut and then they couldn't get it started again, got pissed off and chucked it as far as they could into the woods where no one would ever find it and no limbs would be hacked off. Though they did take the bar and chain off so maybe it was more like "taking the dog to the farm", burying the head, heart and hooves of a racehorse in the pasture they called home. Really we may never know.

Being the enterprising lad that I am, I am never one to pass up someone else's cast off junk. "One man's trash is another man's treasure", with me always being the other man. So I picked it up, handed it to my oldest and made him carry it for the remainder of the death march, I mean quiet walk in the woods. Every now and then, I would hear a muffled, "Sonofabeotch, this thing is heavier than a boat anchor", it may have been the oldest saying it, but he denied saying anything each time I asked, "What did you say?" And being quite deaf, he may have been telling the truth and it was really hard to hear anything over the buzz of the 4 million mosquitoes buzzing around my head. Maybe one of them was the subject of a Sci-Fi movie with Jeff Goldblum.

During one of the stops to rest along the trail to let the kids catch their breath I checked to see that it had compression and it did. I also checked the gas and oil tanks and found them only partially filled. I was going to see if it would crank up but the children started to complain about the bugs. I told them I understood the bugs were bad, but if they would keep waving their arms over my head none would be able to bite me. This time it was the youngest who I thought I heard swearing at me, so he got to carry the saw for the next leg of the trip. 

Here is the saw after I found it.

small.778518761_file4(1).jpeg.4622b31f5b

small.file3.jpeg.e93305021312c2721a1f5ec

It is a Pioneer P41 which was apparently made in Canada. Beginning the tear down I found that it had no air filter in it. Likely something that contributed to its' eventual abandonment. It is really tough to get fuel into the cylinder if the carb is full of sawdust. I haven't confirmed that yet but 5 will get you 10 that it has more sawdust in it than MDF. Looking at the cylinder walls through the exhaust They don't appear to be scored but I can't see any crosshatching in there either so it is hard to say how much wear there might be in there.

I really didn't need a chainsaw so I am not really in a hurry to finish it. I did pull the plug though and it does spark so with a little tinkering I may get it to run and put a bar and chain on it and keep it for a rainy day. Actually now that I think of it I do have a shrub to chop down at some point so maybe I will work a bit more on it.

I suspect you'll find fuel lines that are collapsed or otherwise bad. It's fairly common on older saws, especially if ethanol enhanced fuel was run in it at some point. In any case, you probably should plan on replacing them.

You will also find lots of stripped out case screws........They are a good saw when they run. 

On 7/9/2019 at 10:11 AM, towtruck said:

You will also find lots of stripped out case screws........They are a good saw when they run. 

I have one screw that won't come out. The slot on it is too shallow and the screw driver keeps slipping out. Tried an impact driver and it won't budge. It looks to be a pot metal casting it goes into so it is probably electrolitically welded in. Going to juice it with PB and see if that helps loosen it up. Need to get the covers off so I can replace the fuel line. It doesn't have a primer bulb so I think the fuel line is either cracked inside the tank or blocked. It just isn't getting fuel. 

I am having trouble finding parts locally. It appears that the company never branched out into the USA outside of the border states. If I need to rebuild the carb, I will have to branch out and look on the internet. But being a 40 year old saw, parts may be few and far between. Hopefully, it doesn't need much.

The chain drive gear and clutch appear to be newer than the rest of the saw. Overall it appears to be well taken care of, if it hadn't been it wouldn't have lasted this long.