Retcop

How Stupid Can I Be ? !

The slidelock lever/slide release for my Kimber .45 Pro Carry II has gone missing. 

You may ask, how did I get here ?  

MONTHS ago (half the problem) I had the gun apart trying to find a reason for an erratic ejection pattern

and general maintenance, so that I could take to TN and shoot. The day of packing came, and the gun was still

undiagnosed and apart. This is where it gets fuzzy. My memory is that I wrapped the parts in gun towels and threw 

it in one of my nice double pistol kits with velcro tabs, (so nothing gets dinged)  and I could finish up in TN and shoot it. 

Have My SIL take a look too.  As happens, so busy spending time with grandkids, no time for shooting. 

The .45 escapes my mind, and I now want to take a look at it. I open the soft sided case and find no pistol. 

I look in the safe, and in the back, on top of some individual boxes of handgun ammo, I find the slide with barrel and recoil spring installed

in the frame (don't remember doing that) wrapped in a gun rag, and the slide in a separate gun rag. 

No slide lever.    

Now I'm not sure if it ever made it to TN, and IF I had a shot at the pistol in TN

there was no reason for me to leave it in pieces. (Unless the slide stop was already missing.)

I feel it never made it to TN, and my best bet is to completely redo my safe, and do things like use the 

multi-pistol cradle my SIL bought me 2 Christmases  ago. I can not afford another safe right now,

so I am going to move some ammo out-it's out of hand in there. or I could have been in the middle of disassembled pistol,

and gotten dragged outside by one of the kids....the permutations are many. 

I searched my range bags, pistol cases, and the safe, without actually removing a bunch of stuff. 

WHERE  is it ?    I can't be this stupid !       :laugh:     And they say the knees are the first to go...naw, it's memory.

John

I keep all my project gun parts in one of those magnetic trays. I have 2 trays just in case i have to do an emergency repair while working on a longer term project.

And i cant remember when my knees started giving me problems...lol

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My memory went when I was 10 years old. True story.

I can't remember the exact game I was playing with my brother but we ended up hiding objects in our shared bedroom. You'd step outside of the room with the door shut and the other person had two minutes to hide the object. The person outside got to pick the object. They started out small and got bigger. Sometime into the game my brother picked my wallet. I hid it behind a picture hanging on the wall. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but like many times we were playing the game was interrupted by a parent. My mom in this case because my dad was stationed in Germany (US Army) and we hadn't gotten government quarters yet.. Anyway the wallet remained behind the picture.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and we have to go to the base, Fort Polk, to receive our shots to go overseas. Well I needed my ID Card. Yep it was in the wallet and not much else. Guess what I forgot we played the game and searched frantically for the wallet.  Finally my smart-ass (it's a family trait) older brother reminded me of the game. He was grinning the whole time I was turning the house upside down.  I asked him to try and find it since it was hidden in the room and I'd give him $5 I'd got for mowing a neighbors yard. If he couldn't find it I'd win $2. He had 10 min. Well I won the $2 so I suppose the experience wasn't all bad. 

The moral of this story is memory lapses can happen at any age. Oh, and mine has only gotten worse.

Edited by Joel74

I think mine has, but I can't remember..

• Haha 1

We used to call my youngest "Eagle Eye" because she was the best at finding misplaced items.

Her use in that capacity may have contributed in her leaving home, I can't recall. 

Wow John, that sounds like something I would do.  :)   They say the memory is the "second" thing to go.  Hope you can find it.

I do stuff like that all the time.

Forever my worst case was locating my vehicle in a large parking lot. One time at Walmart I called the cops to report my truck stolen. He arrived and we cruised for perhaps 10 minutes. There it was, right where I left it. I had spent over 30 minutes looking for initially. Now I use light standards, buggy catch pens, etc. I've done my share of dumb.

• Haha 1

Meh, it's a Kimber, they have issues, now you have a reason to send it to a real gunsmith like Don WIlliams at http://www.theactionworks.com/colt-1911/

Thanks to all who made me feel not-so-alone in my memory lapses. 

The key is actually getting my safe out of the tiny room it is in.

(I gave into the wife) Imagine that.

Move the safe into the basement living area, give it a thorough organizing, build work bench and put some storage into what is now the safe room,

and put in a steel door to the workshop room.   I have found that I am no longer willing/able to tolerate the heat in the garage to use my bench there

in the summer. I am hoping at least 1 AR will get built this winter (most likely a pistol)  So I need to be done with the bench by then. 

That way I don't have to keep so much ammo and costly odds and ends in the safe.

I'm finding that being disorganized when memory is going is like a blind person randomly throwing things around the house to trip on...

Or have I gotten more disorganized because my memory is going ?     :unsure:           :laugh:

Thanks, guys

My friend if they gave out stupid awards, I'd have a chest full of metals. 

Years ago living in a high crime area, I use to sleep with a gun literally under my pillow.  That ended when I woke up one morning and somehow I had totally disassembled the gun in my sleep.  Never did find the mag reject button.  Scared the daylights out of me. 

Tj

2 hours ago, TomJefferson said:

Years ago living in a high crime area, I use to sleep with a gun literally under my pillow.  That ended when I woke up one morning and somehow I had totally disassembled the gun in my sleep.  Never did find the mag reject button.  Scared the daylights out of me. 

Tj

:holycow:

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TomJefferson said:

Tj

That wasn't you it was a extremely surprised tooth fairy.

Truthfully though that's some scary shat. 

Edited by Joel74

That could result in one heck of a "sleep disturbance" !

8 hours ago, TomJefferson said:

Tj

When I worked in the ER, had a guy walk in, he slept with a 1911 under his pillow, was a Nam Vet and never went anywhere without his 1911.....

In his sleep he shot himself in the palm of his left hand, no idea how/why or if/what he was dreaming.....just woke up with his hand shot and was like WTF..........was not the 1st time he was shot, so he bandaged it up and drove 30 min to town and the VA hospital......