I’m looking for some low profile close range carbine sights. I was thinking of Picatinny rail sights that resemble handgun 3 dot. I have the xs xti 45 degree sights as back ups on my rifle. And don’t have issues getting my cheek down on the sight picture. But my intention was to find some primary 12:00 irons not based on rifle sights. I searched the interweb but keep finding standard pin/ring style. I may be barking up the wrong tree.

Just looking for ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, since you so graciously helped me spend money for a dedicated .22 LR AR upper build.

I'll be happy to reciprocate...  :plot:

HK MP7A1 flip-up sights.

These are dual purpose.

Folded down, you have your pistol style sights.

SfQGvHj.jpg

Need longer range engagement?

Flip up for a more standard AR ghost sight.

ZLiaDP8.jpg

And only for the reasonable price of $ 300.00...

Enablers of the world unite!  :segrin:

Thanks,

Glenn

P.S. Tons of airsoft fakes out there. :bignono:

• Like 3

Found a company out of Mesa Arizona making clones of the HK MP7 sights.

GSG9.US is the company.

ih41NqO.jpg

sKRLmPt.jpg

vdgwtyW.jpg

These are $ 169.00 for the set.

Still figuring how to spend your money... Just a little less of it. :D:

Thanks,

Glenn  

• Like 2

Knights Armament

• Like 1

In the OP he said that he wants to get away from a rear peep in preference of a flat top open sight.

• Like 1

In the OP he said that he wants to get away from a rear peep in preference of a flat top open sight.

I

I may be chasing my tail. But I’m a gadget guy (as I suspect we all are in some way). It has to work with no compromise in safety.

For example. I found some flip up Glock sights to co witness with my red dot. Like AR folding sights, they stay out of the way unless you need them.

My reason for wanting low profile is for a HD carbine. Low height over bore alignment the longest shot I need is 15 yards. And my desire is to have POA POI with out thinking of hold over. Yeah training will solve that. But just throwing is out there to see if y’all had ideas.

2 hours ago, Dbltap22 said:

I

I may be chasing my tail. But I’m a gadget guy (as I suspect we all are in some way). It has to work with no compromise in safety.

For example. I found some flip up Glock sights to co witness with my red dot. Like AR folding sights, they stay out of the way unless you need them.

My reason for wanting low profile is for a HD carbine. Low height over bore alignment the longest shot I need is 15 yards. And my desire is to have POA POI with out thinking of hold over. Yeah training will solve that. But just throwing is out there to see if y’all had ideas.

Are you doing a HD carbine or more like a SHTF carbine? The reason I ask is that in a HD situation, especially 15 yards, you are not really going to be sighting a carbine at such short range. It is more of a point and shoot scenario. For a HD carbine, a simple red-dot optic is ideal. Typically, iron sights are used as back-up sights in the event an optic fails. Personally, for a rear sight, I want a peep-type sight. Besides, in a reactive situation, you are going to see the front sight more that you will the rear. There are a few sights I would recommend that are reasonably priced.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/Combat-Rifle-Sight-Set-p/mi-crs-set.htm

https://aimsurplus.com/troy-industries-folding-battle-sight-combo

https://www.primaryarms.com/magpul-mbus-gen-2-flip-up-front-and-rear-sight-set-kit-mp-polysight

• Like 2

All valid options questions and points made.

My tool will be the Hera arms triarii Glock conversion. I’ve had it for years and has held up well. I went that route because I figured in some situations grabbing one unit gave me two options. Shoulder mount or HG. In a known reliable package. I have it set up with a Bushnell/eotech holo and love the option. But it eats batteries and doesn’t have a wake up option. I know I could upgrade my optic but was exploring non battery solutions. It has a folding stock so it could be a ride along gun as well.

Just exploring my options.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dbltap22 said:

All valid options questions and points made.

My tool will be the Hera arms triarii Glock conversion. I’ve had it for years and has held up well. I went that route because I figured in some situations grabbing one unit gave me two options. Shoulder mount or HG. In a known reliable package. I have it set up with a Bushnell/eotech holo and love the option. But it eats batteries and doesn’t have a wake up option. I know I could upgrade my optic but was exploring non battery solutions. It has a folding stock so it could be a ride along gun as well.

Just exploring my options.

I completely understand your concern with tall sights and POI for close range home defense.

Besides having much more experience with a sidearm than with an AR at close ranges, this is one reason

the first thing I will grab at my home is the same sidearm I have been using for decades.  It's personal preference only, IMO, not right or wrong. 

The scenarios where a precision shot may be rare, but if one does occur, it is an extremely critical matter. 

As you said, knowing exactly where your POI is at short ranges is critical.  Training to real world scenarios 

where that kind of shot is needed is usually accomplished by people who have lots of time and money 

for real world training, ranges, (maybe their own)  and lots of ammo.  

Having said that, I was thinking you might check out the current rear sights made by Williams that are intended to be used on hunting rifles.

I had such a sight years ago on a rifle that was set very low to the receiver.  It was a peep sight, but set much lower than on an AR.  

You may be able to adapt it, or Williams may have seen a need for low sights (including pistol sights) on ARs.  

I also had a P35 that I had a gunsmith install an adjustable U notch flat blade rear sight on.

I can't for the life of me remember what brand, but it was either a Williams, or, more likely, 

a  S&W adjustable rear revolver sight that was very popular choice back when the adjustable sight choices for combat guns was not as

plentiful as they are today. The sight was popular because it was set low, had a good range of adjustment for different loads, held zero and was durable.

Yes, I know a P35 is a sidearm, but it sounds like there are not a lot of options for you out there, you like gadgets, and getting a set of very low revolver sights to work

on an AR platform would be way cool. 

BTW:  I'm not sure if you don't like rear sights/ghost rings because what you are finding is too high for your purpose, or you just don't like the concept?

If you are not averse to the peep sight other than height, more options....in the AR market and exploring M1A sights, etc etc. 

Just my 2 cents...

I believe that the peep sight is superior in speed and accuracy than a notched rear blade and front post set up. For me anyway. I'm sure your home is partially lighted at night,

but whether you find a low blade or a low peep sight, I would consider throwing some tridium in the mix especially the front post. 

Good luck !      

John

Shoot what you like, like what you shoot. 

Sorry for being so wordy, one of my many faults.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

BTW: I went to Hera Arms and could not find the sights you spoke of...

Gotta link ?  

https://williamsgunsight.com/

Williams offers used sights and gunsmithing services, and if you don't find what you need,

it might be worth a phone call. 

Edited by Retcop
typo

It may be my comfort level. I will probably end up going the peep route and or update my holo optic

Posted (edited)

Imo just use rds or normal sights and be sure to have a light on the rifle 'cuz iron sights suck in darkness. Don't look for ways to spend more money for no reason when you could get good instead. 

Edited by Hammurabi
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I agree with Ret rear peep sight is better than a regular flat sight in my opinion. The switch sights seem to be adding a problem where there is none with silencer height sights. The silencer level sights let you see the sights in addition to the red dot. that's a plus for me. What if you have the sights flipped down and your red dot goes out? Are you going to have time to flip them up if you are in the middle of a situation? with a holo sight and properly co witnessed iron sights that a better situation to me than offset sights. If the holo optic goes out my sights are right there with no pause in the action to flip up anything or to switch over to the 45 offset sights. That's just me. The simpler the better.

Edited by gshayd
  • Like 1