I have come close to pulling the trigger on a Police Trade-In Glock 19.  Some of them are coming in unissued at good prices.

I will not run Glock plastic sights on my sidearm, so I must add approximately $100 dollars to the price for a good set of Trijicon sights. 

Trijicon is what I ran on my Gen 2 G19,  and on my G23 ever since a bought it new decades ago, and replaced the Glock plastic sights.  

Does anyone have experience with Glock factory night sights, and would be able to provide their insight ? 

Better yet, can anyone provide their evaluation of Glock factory night sights as compared to Trijicon's offerings ? 

Even if I end up going with the Glock Blue program, I will still need to decide to get the stock plastic sights and have the 

additional cost to replace them, or take a chance on the Glock night sights.  These would all be 3-Dot sights. 

I would have more options with the Trijicons, such as making the dots on the rear sight smaller, choose a very large 

front dot, or make the the front sight a different color than those on the rear sight.  I am hesitant to use something different than 

what I have been using since my first duty and off-duty pistols, a S&W 5906 and a 6906. These have all been 3 dots of the same color,

although I am open to getting a front dot of a different color, but imo, that is a change for something I am quite used to running, and am proficient with. 

While I am most interested in the comments of those who have experience shooting a Glock equipped with their factory night sights, 

any constructive input is welcome. I am most interested in the brightness and ease of acquiring a sight picture with the Glock sights as compared to the Trijicon's as well as longevity of the Glock sights, if anyone has used a set for a long time.   I will be using a set of 3 dot night sights in any event. For me, spending the extra for a Glock with factory

night sights, not liking them, and then having to spend 80-100 bucks to replace the Glock factory night sights with Trijicons seems like a waste of money better spent on gear or ammo. 

I am not one to throw money away, especially when I have access to the experience and expertise of people here whose opinions I trust.

Thanks in advance for your help. 

John

I wish I could help you out. Like you, it seems that I add Trijicon Night Sights to a lot of pistols I acquire. 

Years ago, I had acquired a gen III Glock 19 'Homeland Defender', which featured factory night sights, extended slide, and extended magazine release.  Whilst said pistol was in my collection, I had also obtained a Ti-Rant .45 suppressor, and prior to that suppressor making its home as a 3 lug mounted to the SMG, it had seen use one some handguns, to include the 19.  Point being, the factory sights were swapped for suppressor height sights, of which were Trijicon tritium sights.

Truth be told, I saw nothing that would necessarily turn me away from the Glock sights.  Again, I swapped them so I could see over the suppressor.

That being said, if it were 'me', being in the market for sights, I would automatically go for the Trijicons simply because we all know the name, their reputation, and are well aware that what you get will be extremely robust.   But, that's 'ME'.  That's not to say Glock sights are in any way 'bad', though.  I'm just the type that believes wholeheartedly in 'buy once, cry once', and constructs almost every firearm to be ready for war, even if it's the last thing which should be carried onto the battlefield.

• Like 1

Them little short Glock sights and a suppressor don't play well together. I swapped mine because they don't see over the bottom of a reflex sight either. Suppressor height does.gallery_24285_275_379734.jpg

Edited by gshayd

Did that pistol come with Glock factory night sights ? 

bdatTi8.jpg

my G43 came with Meprolite NS, steel construction, there’s a small white ring around the green/green vials that is not as large as Trigicon

Go to a gunshop that rents guns and rent one of each, shoot it and see what YOU think.......I've got all the above and then some on my Glocks and you do not want to hear what I have to say about them......

Trijicon sights are going the way of the dinosaur, expensive, short life span and 3 dot sights are not nearly as easy and natural to use or as accurate under stress as a wide notch U all blacked out back sight and a front fiber optic.....3 dot sights even with 2 different colors are slower, harder to line up and not as accurate & then factor in stress.....and I've been running 3 dot sights since 1994 when I had Don Williams custom build my Colt 1911 with Novack lo pro sights and 3 dot bar sights that were state of the art then & you can't even get em now...

]

Look at 10/8 and Dawson replacement Glock sights.....

22 hours ago, BoomerG20 said:

bdatTi8.jpg

my G43 came with Meprolite NS, steel construction, there’s a small white ring around the green/green vials that is not as large as Trigicon

THANKS, Boomer ! !

19 hours ago, Rampy said:

Go to a gunshop that rents guns and rent one of each, shoot it and see what YOU think.......I've got all the above and then some on my Glocks and you do not want to hear what I have to say about them......

Trijicon sights are going the way of the dinosaur, expensive, short life span and 3 dot sights are not nearly as easy and natural to use or as accurate under stress as a wide notch U all blacked out back sight and a front fiber optic.....3 dot sights even with 2 different colors are slower, harder to line up and not as accurate & then factor in stress.....and I've been running 3 dot sights since 1994 when I had Don Williams custom build my Colt 1911 with Novack lo pro sights and 3 dot bar sights that were state of the art then & you can't even get em now...

]

Look at 10/8 and Dawson replacement Glock sights.....

Boomer just posted a picture that really helps.

I don't think you realize the drive I would have to find a shop with a Glock factory night sight installed to shoot...

You statement about dinosaurs is completely opposite my actual experience with Trijicon.  I don't know who is telling you this.

You repeatedly tell me 3 dots are inferior.  I am happy you shoot better with blacked out rear sights.  

There are reasons I like 3 dots. Does not mean they are inferior.  You have told me this a number of times, and I have the experience

with both to know which I like better. 

Congratulations on the custom gun and sights !

5 hours ago, Retcop said:

Boomer just posted a picture that really helps.

I don't think you realize the drive I would have to find a shop with a Glock factory night sight installed to shoot...

You statement about dinosaurs is completely opposite my actual experience with Trijicon.  I don't know who is telling you this.

You repeatedly tell me 3 dots are inferior.  I am happy you shoot better with blacked out rear sights.  

There are reasons I like 3 dots. Does not mean they are inferior.  You have told me this a number of times, and I have the experience

with both to know which I like better. 

Congratulations on the custom gun and sights !

When I start listing instructors, schools and such who all say that of the students and guns they see the full all black wide U notch and front fiber optic combo shoot better, more accurate and faster than 3 dot sights all I get is negative feedback as it goes against your thought process and your not open minded willing to learn.

Nope, I don;t know the drive you have to make, but I do know the drive I've got to make and I doubt your in any more of a remote area than I am..... it's only a 5 hour drive to the FFL where my 2 silencers are awaiting parole.....and that's the closest class III FFL in the state........it's a 2.5 hour drive to the closest STI dealer.......

Is a 1970 Corvette inferior to a 2020 Corvette, is the 107` F100 inferior to the 2010 F150.......possibly a bad choice of words on my part, but as we learn more about the eye works, how age effects it, how vision changes and then applying that to pistol sights and stresses involved....bullet technology has grown and changes, gunpowder has done the same, you have a plethora of different pistol actions....and yet going full circle the 1911 action has the fastest lock time, most accurate and best control of recoil....we no longer carry the same handguns Jim Cirillo did as primary going into harms way, we no longer widely carry the M1 Carbine/M1 Grand....why is that, have improvements been made in firearms over the years??

You refuse to state what your experience is, how long ago it was and what classes, trainers, schools you have attended in the last couple three years.....are you striving for the minimums, or are you striving to excel and challenge yourself &  improve and learn daily, is your teaching relevant, or is it outdated.....

If you want to drive a 1970 Cadillac Eldorado, good on you, but don't expect it to preform like a 2020 Cadillac ATS-V :tiphat:

Edited by Rampy

4 hours ago, Rampy said:

When I start listing instructors, schools and such who all say that of the students and guns they see the full all black wide U notch and front fiber optic combo shoot better, more accurate and faster than 3 dot sights all I get is negative feedback as it goes against your thought process and your not open minded willing to learn.

Nope, I don;t know the drive you have to make, but I do know the drive I've got to make and I doubt your in any more of a remote area than I am..... it's only a 5 hour drive to the FFL where my 2 silencers are awaiting parole.....and that's the closest class III FFL in the state........it's a 2.5 hour drive to the closest STI dealer.......

Is a 1970 Corvette inferior to a 2020 Corvette, is the 107` F100 inferior to the 2010 F150.......possibly a bad choice of words on my part, but as we learn more about the eye works, how age effects it, how vision changes and then applying that to pistol sights and stresses involved....bullet technology has grown and changes, gunpowder has done the same, you have a plethora of different pistol actions....and yet going full circle the 1911 action has the fastest lock time, most accurate and best control of recoil....we no longer carry the same handguns Jim Cirillo did as primary going into harms way, we no longer widely carry the M1 Carbine/M1 Grand....why is that, have improvements been made in firearms over the years??

You refuse to state what your experience is, how long ago it was and what classes, trainers, schools you have attended in the last couple three years.....are you striving for the minimums, or are you striving to excel and challenge yourself &  improve and learn daily, is your teaching relevant, or is it outdated.....

If you want to drive a 1970 Cadillac Eldorado, good on you, but don't expect it to preform like a 2020 Cadillac ATS-V :tiphat:

It is simply personal preference.

Here's my $0.02. Probably worth less than that, but here it is. 

I do not like night sights in general. If it is too dark to see your sights, it is too dark to see well enough to identify your target. And if ambient light is all you have, and that's enough to identify your target, then you have enough contrast to use standard sights. 

If one insists on using night sights, there is nothing really wrong with Glock's factory night sights. We've used them for over a dozen years, and while they're starting to dim, that has nothing to do with their quality, just their age and the physics of radioactive material. I prefer not to use 3-dot sights of any type. I find that a U-notch is faster, combined with either a fiber optic front sight, or a night sight front blade. I could even get behind Rampy's idea of a blacked out rear sight, with a dot front. All of that being said, my favorite current pistol, my Sig P229 Legion, wears night sights in a 3-dot configuration, with a really big front dot. I'm tempted to black out the rear dots. 

15 hours ago, Retcop said:

It is simply personal preference.

Have you seen in person and tried a all black wide U notch and fiber optic or tritium front sight??

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about, the ones I'm running are bottom left, the 10/8 sights, the daughter stole the gun with those sights, she loves it and is most accurate with it...over standard factory metropolight and trijicon sights.

Notice how your eye is drawn to the front sight to focus on it....that's the key behind the blacked our rear, it helps you quickly focus on the front sight.....

41414615071_b148b26e97_o.jpg

Then when you add a RMR into the mix.....it changes the game, my RMR equipped G19 has blacked out rear and front sights, no dot on the front....I've taken a white paint pen and painted the edge white....and the RMR has yet to fail.stutter.break on me....

42066723842_7558ebb9d9_o.jpg

13 minutes ago, Rampy said:

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about, the ones I'm running are bottom left, the 10/8 sights, the daughter stole the gun with those sights, she loves it and is most accurate with it...over standard factory metropolight and trijicon sights.

Notice how your eye is drawn to the front sight to focus on it....that's the key behind the blacked our rear, it helps you quickly focus on the front sight.....

41414615071_b148b26e97_o.jpg

Then when you add a RMR into the mix.....it changes the game, my RMR equipped G19 has blacked out rear and front sights, no dot on the front....I've taken a white paint pen and painted the edge white....and the RMR has yet to fail.stutter.break on me....

42066723842_7558ebb9d9_o.jpg

I really appreciate the time it took to post the pictures, and I have recently shot a pistol with the truglo sights. 

If that is what works for you, that's great.  I have ended up with what I have from decades of pistol shooting with everything

from totally blacked out sights to true glos, and I have tried a front dot only pistol, too.   The trijicon 3 dots work best for me.  My eyes are not yet at the point where

I am not yet in need for a RMR to be proficient, and I ill cross that bridge when I come to it.  I have yet to try and RMR.  For the present, my preference

is to not have an RMR on my carry guns.  If I do ever go to an RMR, I will definitely try a plain front sight to avoid confusion with a colored front sight.   I like the "extra strength"  " (My memory and location of the packaging escapes me) Trijicons where the green front dot has distinct white circle around a larger capsule. I also like that it is green, as green it the easiest color for the human eye to see. My last Trijicons lasted me almost 12 years, and to be frank, I should have changed them sooner.   Thanks for your help, and again, congratulation on the custom sights and pistol.

John