BushXM15

AR 10 Quirks Likes Dislikes suggestions parts pieces

Greetings all :  I'm still ( yeah been threatening a long time ) interested in assembling an AR-10 . I DON'T need Bench rest accuracy but DON'T want junk either . Platform Rifles are just that right ?. Build ,trade  up ,swap out ,upgrade and experiment. I'm Not Daddy warbucks  but I'm Not impoverished either ,  I simply want to stay within reasonable spending constraints  unless there's justification otherwise .

OK : I've decided on .308  I'm re-loading #17 Dif. cal. already and I've got pretty near lifetime supply of .308 components   on hand , So I'd be foolish Not Too . What MY primary use will be is a  light weight  hunting beater ,  along with an occasional  range plinking unit . I made room for #1 More in the safe and that's IT DONE unless something is sold off . My Wife has already Busted ME for stashing spares under our spare bedroom mattress and I can tell all of you , SHE WASN'T HAPPY   !. Hey Nobody slept on them :tap:

So Do any of You have suggestions on Which Components  I should procure and Where I should get them from ?  Those of You who have AR-10 units could You post  a photo or two and allow ME to see What I like ?.

I Don't think I need a bi-pod but want to stay with a 20" barrel , It's just ME but I've never been happy with carbine barrels .

Get the POF version.

It is not an AR 10.

It is an AR15 in .308 caliber. 

There is some outstanding engineering involved with accomplishing that vision.. 

If I were wealthy I would have a couple. 

I did a DPMS style.  It just simplified things for me as the upper was sent for evaluation and spun up with a BHW tube. I got the lower from Young Manufacturing's owner direct from his safe and BTE painted it for me. It is OK but it is a specialty tool for me. Nothing fancy at all. BTE trigger. Brownells magazines. BTW this is NOT a lightweight.

5ZqzqAp.jpg

Greg

• Like 2

Wow! I don't why; that thing is sweet. The Hulk. :) Zombie killer. Does it glow in the dark?:segrin:

9 minutes ago, bamashooter said:

Wow! I don't why; that thing is sweet. The Hulk. :) Zombie killer. Does it glow in the dark?:segrin:

Only when you do a mag dump. 

Greg 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One thing I (from experience) would suggest. If you buy a brand stick with it for your upper and lowers. When I say that I mean the bare receiver and upper. I've got an issue between a Palmetto Gen 1 PA-10 lower and an other maker's stripped upper. The bolt hold open will not reliably hold.

It's stupid little things like that which annoy the piss out of you.

5 hours ago, Flesh Wound said:

One thing I (from experience) would suggest. If you buy a brand stick with it for your upper and lowers. When I say that I mean the bare receiver and upper. I've got an issue between a Palmetto Gen 1 PA-10 lower and an other maker's stripped upper. The bolt hold open will not reliably hold.

It's stupid little things like that which annoy the piss out of you.

Yes Great advice . Gen 1 Gen 2  along with different manufactures can present PROBLEMS . That's WHY I Ask the Experts advice , so as to avoid pitfalls . I don't imagine there's a one of us on this forum ,who hasn't had the incorrect part more than a time or two !. Personally I've got a ( Spare Parts drawer ) at least that's what I keep telling Her :segrin: .

I had figured going DPMS  as if I'm not mistaken is the larger of the parts platform .

I know NOTHING about PA stuff , meaning is it decent quality ?.  I know the Dif. between Gen 1 & 2  and as You said  if I  Get a Lower Gen 2  and want someone Else's Upper is that going to be a Can of Crap ?.

Where else do I shop for  Platform 10 or 15 in .308 ?.

22 hours ago, Retcop said:

Get the POF version.

It is not an AR 10.

It is an AR15 in .308 caliber. 

There is some outstanding engineering involved with accomplishing that vision.. 

If I were wealthy I would have a couple. 

Not fond of that  pic-axe butt stock  but Did look at them . Windham Weaponry looks nice but those are assembled . I'm going to LOOK around ,as I've waited this long  what's another few days or  months . Appreciate the suggestion though that's what Counts :thumb: 

Posted (edited)

I did a build on two different AR10/LR308.  You do need to keep to a certain platform like DPMS or Armalite since the two upper and lowers do not interchange The post is here:

https://ar15armory.com/forums/topic/188357-on-to-the-third-dayar-10-308-build

The two main issues I had was on one, the bolt would not lock back and I had to find one that did.  Second, most Milspec triggers will give you light primer strikes and you need a trigger which is made for a AR10/308. I found a ALG and CMC trigger group which worked fine.

Edited by Charles2

Posted (edited)

There are different versions of the AR 10 plus you have generations of the AR10 at some places. You need to pay attention and make sure what you have will fit on what you plan to get. My AP AR-10upper won't fit an Anderson Mfg Lower for the AR 10. When getting a handguard some upper receivers have a high rail.  

Edited by gshayd
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Charles2 said:

I did a build on two different AR10/LR308.  You do need to keep to a certain platform like DPMS or Armalite since the two upper and lowers do not interchange The post is here:

https://ar15armory.com/forums/topic/188357-on-to-the-third-dayar-10-308-build

The two main issues I had was on one, the bolt would not lock back and I had to find one that did.  Second, most Milspec triggers will give you light primer strikes and you need a trigger which is made for a AR10/308. I found a ALG and CMC trigger group which worked fine.

Thank You gentlemen  this is the kind of advice which I'm looking for !.  MY next question : Which manufactures are Reputable Quality parts friendly  sources ?.

11 hours ago, gshayd said:

There are different versions of the AR 10 plus you have generations of the AR10 at some places. You need to pay attention and make sure what you have will fit on what you plan to get. My AP AR-10upper won't fit an Anderson Mfg Lower for the AR 10. When getting a handguard some upper receivers have a high rail.  

I prefer Aero precision but if PSA has some on sale I would buy some from them. 

22 hours ago, gshayd said:

I prefer Aero precision but if PSA has some on sale I would buy some from them. 

I understand Aero is GOOD Stuff , PSA has stuff ALL the Time but does anyone on this forum have PSA assembled AR's  and are they any good accuracy wise ??.

I get flyers  all the time as I'm sure most of us do from PSA  and have purchased from them with NO issues on other items . I Have ZERO experience with their Lowers , uppers  or completed rifles though !!.

$359.00 .

PSA Gen2 PA10 20" Rifle Length .308 WIN 1/10 Stainless Steel 15" M-lok Upper with BCG and CH - 5165447981

I'm curious as to  IF these are very good ,given the prices they sale on ?  $80.00 and cheaper on sale !??.

PSA BETSY ROSS PA-10 "I STAND-10" STRIPPED LOWER RECEIVER *PREORDER ITEM (4-6 WEEKS DELIVERY

PSA has the Gen3 on sale now. I would go with that for the upgraded features. Buy the gen 3 upper and gen 3 lower separately.  IMHO, a  "LOT" of the A10/308 Winchester platform problems have been that the guns are over gassed and need an adjustable gas block of some sort. The PSA Gen 3 have tackled that problem by including  adjustable gas block .

PSA has very affordable rifles.

• Like 1