Sign in to follow this  
Snake46

August 1st, 1966-Gunman opens fire on students at UT

Posted (edited)

On this date in 1966, Charles Joseph Whitman began a killing rampage that left seventeen dead and thirty-one wounded in one of the worst mass murders in modern United States history. Whitman first killed his mother in her apartment and his wife in their residence. He then went to the tower on the University of Texas campus where clubbed a receptionist, who later dies, then killed two other people and wounded two more. Gaining the observation deck at an elevation of 231 feet he began firing on persons crossing the campus and others on nearby streets, killing ten and wounding thirty-one (one died a week later). Police returned his fire from the ground while polic officers Ramiro Martinez and Houston McCoy gained the observation deck, where they shot and killed Whitman. An autopsy revealed a tumor in Whitman's head but medical authorities disagreed over its effect on his actions.

TSHA

As shown in the film "Full Metal Jacket" the thing Whitman and Lee Harvey Oswald had in common was Marine Corps rifle training..

Edited by Snake46

I remember that happening, I was 11 then but i still recall seeing the news about it.

Baby..I was a Sophmore at A&M..:old1: