specops56

School me on Sightmark reflex sights.

I’m currently gathering the pieces to build a 5.56 AR pistol. This one will not be a range toy but a serious HD gun. I want to put a quality red dot on it but have to stay within my meager budget. Trijicon, Aimpoint, Eotech and the like are out of the question. So, I’m looking at the Sightmark Ultra Shot 2 QD R-Spec and the M-Spec. Anyone have personal experience with either?
I have considered Holosun but I find that my eyes can pick up the dot on target with an open reflex better than I can with a tubular sight.
I can get the R-Spec for about $100 delivered and the M-Spec for $170 from Amazon. Is the M-Spec worth the difference in price? I like the retractable sun shade of the M-Spec but I’m not gonna pay an an extra 70 bucks just to get it.
My other concern is the size. I see it referred to as the “poor man’s Eotech” so I know it’s large for a red dot. I haven’t seen one in person yet as PSA doesn’t carry it. It’s going on a 10.5” pistol so I’m concerned it might be a bit unwieldy. Bear in mind I’m not going to be humping it over the mountains of Crapistan just the hills of my yard.

Terry

No experience with Sightmark but they have a decent following. Regarding the R-Spec, there's many good reviews out there. Watching a video, I like its simplicity, features, battery, qd. For the price I'd do the -R.

3 hours ago, bamashooter said:

No experience with Sightmark but they have a decent following. Regarding the R-Spec, there's many good reviews out there. Watching a video, I like its simplicity, features, battery, qd. For the price I'd do the -R.

Yeah, I'm leaning toward the R-Spec for the same reason; I like simplicity when it comes to my guns as well as the price. Still, I'd like to hear from someone who's used one before I plunk down my cash.

Terry

I've never used a Sightmark. But in that price range, I'd pick a Vortex. 

I had a couple of sight mounts by Sightmark. They were junk IMHO.

I bought the R-Spec. The open window Vortex sights are all minis.

Terry

I hope she works out for you. 

Please post a video review when you can, but what would really appreciated would be a review at around the one year mark, 

or whenever you are able to get a good number of rounds through the weapon it is mounted on. IMHO, round count is more important

than age.  Yeaah, it's a sample of one, but since there is not much experience with them around here, your review(s) would be interesting. 

Thanks,

John

Edited by Retcop
typo

I had some Sightmark stuff once.  I looked and they do have a lifetime warranty now.  If that floats your boat go for it. I prefer the smaller rounded red dot sights as they tend to not catch on stuff.

Edited by gshayd

2 hours ago, Retcop said:

I hope she works out for you. 

Please post a video review when you can, but what would really appreciated would be a review at around the one year mark, 

or whenever you are able to get a good number of rounds through the weapon it is mounted on. IMHO, round count is more important

than age.  Yeaah, it's a sample of one, but since there is not much experience with them around here, your review(s) would be interesting. 

Thanks,

John

I'll try to do that. It'll be a while. Between doing repairs on my wife's car and having repairs done on me, I haven't even had a chance to build the gun it's going on.

Terry

On 8/12/2019 at 7:55 AM, specops56 said:

I’m currently gathering the pieces to build a 5.56 AR pistol. This one will not be a range toy but a serious HD gun. I want to put a quality red dot on it but have to stay within my meager budget. Trijicon, Aimpoint, Eotech and the like are out of the question. So, I’m looking at the Sightmark Ultra Shot 2 QD R-Spec and the M-Spec. Anyone have personal experience with either?
I have considered Holosun but I find that my eyes can pick up the dot on target with an open reflex better than I can with a tubular sight.
I can get the R-Spec for about $100 delivered and the M-Spec for $170 from Amazon. Is the M-Spec worth the difference in price? I like the retractable sun shade of the M-Spec but I’m not gonna pay an an extra 70 bucks just to get it.
My other concern is the size. I see it referred to as the “poor man’s Eotech” so I know it’s large for a red dot. I haven’t seen one in person yet as PSA doesn’t carry it. It’s going on a 10.5” pistol so I’m concerned it might be a bit unwieldy. Bear in mind I’m not going to be humping it over the mountains of Crapistan just the hills of my yard.

Terry

Save up and get a Holosun 507c, they have the dual reticle and take some serious abuse, a smidgen bigger than the Trijicon RMR but mounts using the exact same footprint/mount 

4 hours ago, specops56 said:

I bought the R-Spec. The open window Vortex sights are all minis.

Terry

send it back, they do not hold zero, have reliability issues....

if you look around can find Holosun on sale and it’s that time of year.....

7 minutes ago, Rampy said:

send it back, they do not hold zero, have reliability issues....

if you look around can find Holosun on sale and it’s that time of year.....

Not gonna send it back. If it doesn't work out on the AR pistol I'll move it to something less critical like my AR22. I will keep my eye out for sales on that Holosun. BTW, welcome back.

Terry

• Like 1

1 minute ago, specops56 said:

Not gonna send it back. If it doesn't work out on the AR pistol I'll move it to something less critical like my AR22. I will keep my eye out for sales on that Holosun. BTW, welcome back.

Terry

Bit my tongue on this one. Thanks for saving me.

Have the Holosun HS510C on a pistol. Large glass. Very fast acquisition. Multiple features which I can take or leave. Reticle is circle-dot, circle, dot. Glass has a tint but I'm fine with that. Has titanium-alloy removable hood. integrated qd mount, 50,000 hour deal, etc. Aside from my prism scopes, it's my favorite. They now have the 512 series which is a fully enclosed reflex. The pic is looking through the rear sight, through the 510C to the front post. Image through glass is much larger when rear sight is down.

U1g6ekU.jpg

2 hours ago, Joel74 said:

Bit my tongue on this one. Thanks for saving me.

Any time brother! Glad to be of service.

Terry

• Like 1