srjdsmith

First few shots with latest build

I posted the pic in another thread. The last few part arrived Tuesday afternoon, so I torqued the barrel nut on Tuesday and shot it Wednesday after school (that’s why I didn’t run the new tumbler until today).

4c4528e4d8520b57b9c39b213de10e77.jpg

It’s a RRA .223 Wylde chamber. The 20” barrel with a 19” handguard (bottom rifle) looks exactly like I wanted it to be. Right now it’s wearing the 350 Legend’s lower until I collect all the lower parts I want.

The first five shots were factory ammo- I think Federal FMJ “el cheapo”. Accuracy was ok, but I was mostly checking cycling- all good: ejected, cases weren’t burnt or deformed, and the next round chambered properly, bolt closed all the way. So far so good.

There was an older guy there who was nice enough, but a bit... pushy? and know-it-all? But I only had a few minutes and I really wanted to know if the rifle works, so I grit my teeth and kept going. He was shooting a 6.5 CM. He was griping that it wouldn’t shoot good groups.

Then I switched to my reloads. Bob’s Bullets 55gr FMJBT over 19.1 grains of IMR 4198 with WSR primers. They wouldn’t eject. I was a bit distracted so I’m not sure how well they will group, but it doesn’t matter because they didn’t cycle anyway.

Then know-it-all comes over with three of these in his hand:

c70a9f4794a6002aa0a4cb36be5614e1.jpg

The rifle cycled perfectly. And all three bullets went through the same hole. He gave me one of those head lift nods that said “see, I told ya” and headed for his car. (sigh)

So now I have to go back to the drawing board to find something I can load that will mimic that performance.

John

“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are,” —Buckaroo Banzai

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

a few dozen more and you will be good to go! The formula I use to determine the number of AR15s   number of AR 15s owned + 1

Edited by gshayd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, srjdsmith said:

There was an older guy there who was nice enough, but a bit... pushy? and know-it-all?

Name didn't happen to begin with the letter "R" did it? :tiphat: 

Nice guns by the way. Glad to hear it passed your shakedown test.

Edited by bamashooter
  • Haha 1

Looks like you are on the way. You could bump that load up a bit as you below MAX listed by Hodgdon by 1.3 grains or so and that's at 223 level. If you step up to 556/NATO you even have a bit more room. This is why I use adjustable blocks BTW as the tuning is greatly shortened.  That Hornady stuff is the berries for OTC ammo BTW.

Keep us posted and some groups are always interesting. I think you'll do wel with Bob's when the smoke clears.

Greg

• Thanks 1