captainbarred

A question on LOOOOOOOOOONG term optics...

Morning all, 

I've been re-evaluating all my optics and trying to reduce everything to as few battery types as possible and it got me thinking...

I do a lot of shooting with red dots, but what would you do, in the case of a societal collapse?

Some people say buy Acogs, but what if you have one at year 9 and the collapse occurs?  tritium dies by year 10 or 11 and boom, your optics useless at night...

Some people say stick with AA battery optics.  Then get 100s of recharables, keep them at 40% charge, and have solar charging capabilities.

Other people say go with 1-4 tubes with etched reticles.  useless at night, but not horrible with 1x and no light for CQB...

Still others say to go with OEG, but you still need to tritium for night or its worthless at night.... 

so finally, some people say to stick with irons.

What are you guys thoughts?

Some of the sights run on both tritium and fiber optic, so even if the tritium dies, during day you get fiber optic to light the reticle.  does fiber optics fade over time?

I know, I know... this is deep prepper type stuff....  its more a mental exercise, but also a real aggravation as I always seem to have at least one dead battery at the range on an optic, meanwhile my electric earmuffs and rangefinder run on and on and on with no signs of dying....

I have one dedicated for what I consider reasonable long-distance. It has a 4-12 variable. Most others have red dots. One has a 1x prism. 1 or 2 hard sights only. My designated go-to ARs each have prisms with etched + illuminated reticles. one is 2.5x and the other 3.0x. I like the magnification of each and no big deal at all to quickly acquire a target under 10m or just point and shoot. I really liked my 1-4 Vortex PST but I have become a prism fanboy based on my perceived needs. The remainder of the ARs are to hand out if the need arises.

Advances in good quality rechargeable batteries have really won a lot of optics folks (and light) over in the past 2 years or so. I'm good with those but I still run conventional. But I'm anal about changing them out annually. Smoke alarms, radon alarms, optics / lights batteries changed on the April daylight savings date.

I have a cheap but not bad at all accurate range finder. At least 10 years old and used quite a bit. Original battery. I need to pull it and see where it's from. It's gotta be CHICOM I'd think (cheap Bushnell). Which reminds me. A few weeks ago I got the cheaper set of Walkers Game Ear WGE-GWP-RSEM-FDE Razor Slim Shooter Folding Ear Muff Dark Earth off ebay. Dang if the didn't come with a set of Duracells which I like.

I have everything from iron to 4x12 on ARs .my favorite everything gun is a 12.5 6.8 with 3x circle dot etched with red and blue capability . If things get bad enough that a reasonable supply of batteries go bad or units start to fail just use irons and take a weapon from the next UN peacekeeper that comes by . They will have the latest most advanced sights and possibly rifles chambered in 6.8 , it will not really be stealing because our taxes paid for them.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I will probably be deceased by the time any of that happens. However, you can purchase solar rechargers as you said to charge batteries. 

Id like to switch to all Comp M4s with the AA batteries.  They draw less than the battery discharges just sitting there which is why they last so long.  Get some of the ultimate lithium 20 yr batteries and man, your in good shape... and still cheap enough to replace every year.

Id look at the 512 and vortex razor but both draw so much faster being holo sights....

Solar energy, rechargeable batteries using solar energy is very easy....some red dots even have a solar option.....you can get lightweight compact kits, solar lights/batterie packs and lots of “systems” to charge batteries using solar power....

heck, I’m running a travel/overlanding fridge/freezer using a solar generator & ran it for 9 days straight....and looking at putting a solar panel on the truck 

On 8/16/2019 at 1:13 PM, gshayd said:

I will probably be deceased by the time any of that happens. However, you can purchase solar rechargers as you said to charge batteries. 

Dude, MMGW is going to kill the world in ....it's 11 years now. 

There won't be anything left alive for the sun to shine on.

You are telling people to waste their money.

Get with it, huh ?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           :segrin:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Retcop said:

Dude, MMGW is going to kill the world in ....it's 11 years now. 

There won't be anything left alive for the sun to shine on.

You are telling people to waste their money.

Get with it, huh ?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           :segrin:

naw it won't kill the world, it will just turn things into the movie waterworld as the ice caps melt :lol:

On 8/16/2019 at 1:13 PM, gshayd said:

Not if I can help it.

Prepare to defend yourself !       :laugh:

Support the DNC in 2020 !

No turning back. 

On 8/16/2019 at 11:19 AM, captainbarred said:

Morning all, 

I've been re-evaluating all my optics and trying to reduce everything to as few battery types as possible and it got me thinking...

I do a lot of shooting with red dots, but what would you do, in the case of a societal collapse?

Some people say buy Acogs, but what if you have one at year 9 and the collapse occurs?  tritium dies by year 10 or 11 and boom, your optics useless at night...

Some people say stick with AA battery optics.  Then get 100s of recharables, keep them at 40% charge, and have solar charging capabilities.

Other people say go with 1-4 tubes with etched reticles.  useless at night, but not horrible with 1x and no light for CQB...

Still others say to go with OEG, but you still need to tritium for night or its worthless at night.... 

so finally, some people say to stick with irons.

What are you guys thoughts?

Some of the sights run on both tritium and fiber optic, so even if the tritium dies, during day you get fiber optic to light the reticle.  does fiber optics fade over time?

I know, I know... this is deep prepper type stuff....  its more a mental exercise, but also a real aggravation as I always seem to have at least one dead battery at the range on an optic, meanwhile my electric earmuffs and rangefinder run on and on and on with no signs of dying....

Look at my old post:

https://ar15armory.com/forums/topic/167388-ta01nsn-with-dead-tritium/?tab=comments#comment-2795984

All I do is change my aimpoint batteries every year and buy an extra set in case of emergencies. I usually do it in Dec. But have left it go until Jan. 

5 year battery life with fresh batteries... plus a few extras, and I have iron sights. So 7 years into it (safe estimation) i would be more worried about food and ammo and medicine than the batteries on the t1s or trijicon mro. 

Then you have the AA and AAA batteries that last 10 years or something on the shelf. 

And I have 1-4 luepolds i could swap out if it gets real bad. 

Tritium is good longer than 10-11 years.  The compasses I put in survival kits dont “expire” for 12.  That is when it is considered to old for emergencies.  I have seen compasses that still glow well after 20 years.