Forsaken352

Full auto?

What would be the opinion of those whom have experience with these barrels to perhaps use one in a primarily full auto role?  My initial thoughts were that since these barrels are known for producing tight groups, why would that not be beneficial even in a full auto?  I figured, a semi-bull for more sustained fire while keeping 'some' weight down, and fluted for more efficient cooling while also shedding a touch more weight.

So, what would be the pros and cons to using a BHW barrel over something else for this?

Match grade barrels don't do well over a large number of FA rounds as the throat erodes and accuracy goes with it because they are not as hard. . The BHW tube will still shoot well after a bunch of abuse but then so will any of them that shoot well to start with. If you want one of the bargain basement priced True Sports barrels I don't think they are normally available with many profiles like you mention.    would stay away from fluting if I hoped to stay as god as possible during FA work.  Stress may well cause walking as it heats up and the cooling will really be negligible IMHO unless you go with the deep SMILEY fluting and then it may not be appreciably different. Also the stress movement may well be all over the place with that aggressive style.

With judicious, and I DO MEAN judicious, accuracy will maintain a long time  but only if the FA is sparing. I have an 11" OLY grade on my M16 that will shoot into 2" at 200 but it doesn't get run hard with lots of mag dumps. It is SS BTW.  

I'd buy one of those whiz bang FN "machine gun steel"  barrels from PSA  for longevity. I can't speak toward their accuracy but they do last from what I here. Alternatively I were doing purely FA tube I'd go for a chrome lined one because no one is going to shoot sub-MOA on FA forever.

I guess what it comes down to it you want a Cobra that'll do 160 but suck gas like a Pinto.  Barrels are consumable. You go fast/hard they do go away. Buy a good custom BHW and burn it down and go buy another. Track rounds fired and grouping periodically and give us some feedback.

Greg

4 minutes ago, GLShooter said:

Match grade barrels don't do well over a large number of FA rounds as the throat erodes and accuracy goes with it because they are not as hard. . The BHW tube will still shoot well after a bunch of abuse but then so will any of them that shoot well to start with. If you want one of the bargain basement priced True Sports barrels I don't think they are normally available with many profiles like you mention.    would stay away from fluting if I hoped to stay as god as possible during FA work.  Stress may well cause walking as it heats up and the cooling will really be negligible IMHO unless you go with the deep SMILEY fluting and then it may not be appreciably different. Also the stress movement may well be all over the place with that aggressive style.

With judicious, and I DO MEAN judicious, accuracy will maintain a long time  but only if the FA is sparing. I have an 11" OLY grade on my M16 that will shoot into 2" at 200 but it doesn't get run hard with lots of mag dumps. It is SS BTW.  

I'd buy one of those whiz bang FN "machine gun steel"  barrels from PSA  for longevity. I can't speak toward their accuracy but they do last from what I here. Alternatively I were doing purely FA tube I'd go for a chrome lined one because no one is going to shoot sub-MOA on FA forever.

I guess what it comes down to it you want a Cobra that'll do 160 but suck gas like a Pinto.  Barrels are consumable. You go fast/hard they do go away. Buy a good custom BHW and burn it down and go buy another. Track rounds fired and grouping periodically and give us some feedback.

Greg

Thank you for that, Greg.  I actually put in a purchase a few weeks back for a custom BHW barrel.  Straight flute, semi bull, 1/2x28, 1/7, mid length.  I got to thinking more about it, and have read about how some people replace a barrel like these at a couple thousand round intervals, and how it wasn't chrome lined, etc., so I was basically wondering if I should get a more 'robust' barrel for FA use, and build another AR off of the BHW.

I'll likely look into the FN barrels.  Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Forsaken352 said:

Thank you for that, Greg.  I actually put in a purchase a few weeks back for a custom BHW barrel.  Straight flute, semi bull, 1/2x28, 1/7, mid length.  I got to thinking more about it, and have read about how some people replace a barrel like these at a couple thousand round intervals, and how it wasn't chrome lined, etc., so I was basically wondering if I should get a more 'robust' barrel for FA use, and build another AR off of the BHW.

I'll likely look into the FN barrels.  Thank you!

Glad to help. I do understand BHW barrels as I'm setting within ten feet of over four dozen of them I use..LOL

Greg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GLShooter said:

Glad to help. I do understand BHW barrels as I'm setting within ten feet of over four dozen of them I use..LOL

Greg

Actually, I do have one more question if you don't mind.  You do seem to know your stuff with barrels..   FN seems to only offer a few different profiles, and even then are spotty on availability depending on where you look.  Ideally I would like an HBAR, if not something even thicker.  Assume this to essentially be a mag-fed LMG, more or less.  The primary feed will be a Beta mag, with X products drums being secondary, and STANAG mags are the least it will see numbers-wise.  So, it's going to see some use.  Obviously, without the ability to quick change a barrel, it's not going to be something I plan on burning through 3-400 rounds in two minutes, but the ability to use 3-5 round bursts, or the occasional sporadic full auto fire without the thing trying to catch on fire would be best.  Got any leads on an 18" 1/7 CHF chrome lined anything that meets the criteria? 

Thank you!

Out of curiosity  do you have an M16 now? How has it done. I'll look around tomorrow for your potential  barrel.  I bet Tacleberry can give you a couple sources right of the top of his head. 

Greg 

21 minutes ago, GLShooter said:

Out of curiosity  do you have an M16 now? How has it done. I'll look around tomorrow for your potential  barrel.  I bet Tacleberry can give you a couple sources right of the top of his head. 

Greg 

I do not.  I have an open bolt mg which is soon to have a new upper receiver which will use a customized m16 BCG, and has essentially the front end of an AR upper.

I've never shot an open bolt centerfire rifle. I've played with lots of pistol  cartridge versions.  It will be intersting. Who made your current set up?

Greg 

8 hours ago, GLShooter said:

I've never shat an open bolt centerfire rifle. I've played with lots of pistol  cartridge versions.  It will be intersting. Who made your current set up?

Greg 

The registered receiver is just an SWD M11a1, and the upper a Lage mfg. Max11a1/15.  The only downside is still waiting on ATF to approve it for sale.  They've already approved the Max11/15 upper for the M11/Nine lower, so I cannot imagine why they wouldn't approve the A1 as well, but it is the ATF...  At any rate, I've been slowly piecing together some stuff to swap out the 10.5" barrel, (8"?) Mlok rail, etc.  The way I've figured it is, knock on wood, if the ATF decided to become all high and mighty again, everything I've already purchased is usable in, or for building an AR-15.  

Hopefully that won't be the case.  I'd love to see my little sub gun become a rifle caliber, even if it is going to be kind of fugly, which it will.  But I've seen worse.

Converting a MAC to 223 should be a hoot. I remember back when they were $300 or less..LOL My M16 was only $650.00

Greg

4 hours ago, GLShooter said:

Converting a MAC to 223 should be a hoot. I remember back when they were $300 or less..LOL My M16 was only $650.00

Greg

I'm not one to be jealous of another's belongings, but...damn.  $650 for an M16?  It's a tad difficult NOT to be a wee bit envious.  That's what I get for being born in the wrong era.  Never had a chance.

'

It should be fun, though.  The juju Lage puts into their receivers, they truly know what they are doing.  When I first got this MG, it wouldn't cycle but maybe 3 rounds tops before malfunctioning.  Now, using either the Max31A MkII, or Max11A1/9 MkII uppers, it's a rare thing to experience a malfunction.   Even the factory .380ACP upper, paired with some Shockwave Z-Mags, and new FCG (factory/Lage mixed parts), it's often possible to dump a full mag if using ammunition it likes.  That's saying a lot.

I should have bought all the HK MP5 trigger groups from Fleming for $600.00 I could have handled. They are pushing into the $20,000 range last I heard.

Greg

1 hour ago, GLShooter said:

I should have bought all the HK MP5 trigger groups from Fleming for $600.00 I could have handled. They are pushing into the $20,000 range last I heard.

Greg

Such is life. You know what they say about hindsight. 

Being the gun nerd that I am today, God only knows the sort of hardware I would've amassed back then, given the opportunity. I know there's no way in hell that I could have afforded the ammunition by the end.   I consider myself lucky to have the M11, at least.  It has become a very versatile host in recent years. So, at least there's that.

The military chrome lines their barrels for an FA reason.  You could burn out regular barrel PDQ if you had a lot of time and ammo plus a wild hair up yer arse.  jes saying.  An FN Barrel is supposed to be the best. They aint cheap but would last a lot longer. Might check PSA for some CHF barrels and save about fiddy bucks.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-5-56x45mm-cold-hammer-forged-barrels-prod71548.aspx

Edited by gshayd

17 hours ago, gshayd said:

The military chrome lines their barrels for an FA reason.  You could burn out regular barrel PDQ if you had a lot of time and ammo plus a wild hair up yer arse.  jes saying.  An FN Barrel is supposed to be the best. They aint cheap but would last a lot longer. Might check PSA for some CHF barrels and save about fiddy bucks.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-5-56x45mm-cold-hammer-forged-barrels-prod71548.aspx

Thank you for the info, Gshayd.  I really do like the FN barrels, and I am aware that they have a long history of hammer forging, as well as being a huge manufacturer of military arms.  My only complaint is that I cannot find anything besides a government profile from FN.  Something just a 'little' thicker would be nice.  I came across Daniel Defense's S2W (Strength 2 Weight) profile the other day, and it piqued my interest.

https://danieldefense.com/18-5-56mm-s2wr-mid-length-chf-barrel.html