Jimi Wilson

AR-10 bolt catch pin removal

Looking for some tips as to how to remove the bolt catch pin from a blind hole.

It’s a Tactical Machining lower. The pin is inserted to hold the catch and a set screw is threaded in behind it. I’ve managed to move it some by wiggling the catch and with inertia. (dead blow hammer to the stock) Any ideas would be appreciated.

10 minutes ago, Jimi Wilson said:

Looking for some tips as to how to remove the bolt catch pin from a blind hole.

It’s a Tactical Machining lower. The pin is inserted to hold the catch and a set screw is threaded in behind it. I’ve managed to move it some by wiggling the catch and with inertia. (dead blow hammer to the stock) Any ideas would be appreciated.

I'd call Tactical Machine. I've never heard of one with a pin backed up by a set screw. I have two lowers that use threaded pins but they are all one piece.

Greg

6 minutes ago, GLShooter said:

I'd call Tactical Machine. I've never heard of one with a pin backed up by a set screw. I have two lowers that use threaded pins but they are all one piece.

Greg

This^^^^^^^^^^^^

That should be a pin attached to the set screw not two pieces. 

Posted (edited)

Yeah. I thought it may have been one piece that’s broken. I still need to remove it though. 

The weapon belongs to a to a customer who bought it thru GunBroker. It came with other issues but the one he’s concerned about is that the mag catch is only threaded into the finger button 2-3 threads, maybe less. I can’t tighten it up with the bolt latch in place. The catch is so loose that if you press the button to release the mag it comes out far enough that it pivots down and catches on the outside of the receiver.

Edited by Jimi Wilson
Spelling

52 minutes ago, GLShooter said:

Greg

I’m gonna let the customer make that call. He’s contacting the seller.

In fact, the seller misrepresented the weapon. It’s a Tactical Machining lower w/ a DPMS upper. He listed it as a DPMS LR-10.

1 hour ago, Jimi Wilson said:

I’m gonna let the customer make that call. He’s contacting the seller.

In fact, the seller misrepresented the weapon. It’s a Tactical Machining lower w/ a DPMS upper. He listed it as a DPMS LR-10.

Sounds like an excellent plan to me.  Perhaps TM might offer to help him out too if no joy with the seller.

Greg

Posted (edited)

The AR10s that I have are a hex one-piece screw for the bolt release. Things used to be easy in the AR10 world it was an Armalite pattern or a DPMS pattern. Now you have PSA making two different patterns and you have somebody making a smaller lighter AR 10. So you really have to sit down and make sure you are buying the right stuff to put together not to mention hi-rise rails.

Edited by gshayd

UPDATE:

After closer examination, it appears that somebody either lost the original pin or or just didn’t have one at the time of assembly. The set screw is definitely a standard set screw, evident by the typical hollowed out point. The pin has a gold appearance, typical of most AR pins. Neither show signs of having been broken. In most cases this would’ve probably never been a problem if they had finished screwing the mag latch together. Maybe it’s not a real problem now. Thoughts?

The only experience (very recently) I have with a lower having a threaded pin is with a lower which does not have a through hole (muzzle end). It appears yours does which seems to me they took the conventional design and merely threaded the butt end of the ear or whatever that's called.

Not knowing any better, I took a roll pin from a LPK and hammered it in there. It wouldn't go in all the way (due to the unknown to me at the time solid end of the ear. I then beat the crap out of the roll pin and gave up. It still had about few mm stick out. Very fortunately, I was able to easily remove the roll pin with no damage to the rcvr threads.

So I take it you had both a roll pin and short set screw? Even though you have a "through" pin hole, does a threaded pin secure the catch/release mechanism well?

There is no thru hole, but yes, there is a pin with a set screw behind it. It looks like the threads for the set screw are preventing the pin from coming out.

11 minutes ago, Jimi Wilson said:

There is no thru hole, but yes, there is a pin with a set screw behind it. It looks like the threads for the set screw are preventing the pin from coming out.

Oh, ok. I looked at few pics online and they had the through-hole. Must have been "conventional" for a roll-pin. 

I've seen examples where plain ol' alum was used to "melt" broken steel bolts out of aluminum parts. Works well with no harm to aluminum. Here's one example:

Here's another with a lower rcvr (part 1 / evidently he never made a part 2 video). If someone chooses this route, I'd use a stove top vs heat lamps used by the AR guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfjMO1o_2a4

UPDATE:

Finally...….I got it out. Definitely a hatchet job on the assembly. I admit to being an amateur on a lot of things AR and I appreciate you guys helping with the info. I have another ?. Is it possible to install (even partially) an AR-15 mag latch in an AR-10 receiver? The reason I ask is that even after I got the bolt catch off I still could only make 3-4 turns on the mag latch before it hit the side of the receiver. still less than 1/2 way thru the finger button. I mean it works ok now but I've always run it thru till it was almost flush on the ARs I've dealt with in the past,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimi Wilson said:

UPDATE:

Finally...….I got it out. Definitely a hatchet job on the assembly. I admit to being an amateur on a lot of things AR and I appreciate you guys helping with the info. I have another ?. Is it possible to install (even partially) an AR-15 mag latch in an AR-10 receiver? The reason I ask is that even after I got the bolt catch off I still could only make 3-4 turns on the mag latch before it hit the side of the receiver. still less than 1/2 way thru the finger button. I mean it works ok now but I've always run it thru till it was almost flush on the ARs I've dealt with in the past,

The mag catch  are the same parts in the 10 and 15.  

How did you get the pin out finally?

Greg