srjdsmith

Light weight suggestions

My 350 Legend barrel showed up. It’s 16” M4 contour so it shouldn’t be too heavy. My daughter-in-law requested that “it not be too heavy”. Well, the upper and lower will be standard so their weight is already kind of fixed. I’ll get a light-weight handguard, but where else can I save weight? The stock? Recommendations? Anything else to reduce weight?

I have a Mission First Tactical stock on my lightweight build.  I'm pretty happy with it and it's under six ounces. 

• Thanks 1

Light costs money if you really want to go there.  Everything from BCG's to triggers can be had lighter.  I like ASC skeleton stocks for light. although I have a couple Rogers adjustables that are very light also.  Just going with that barrel saved you the lions share of the weight problem. 

Greg 

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2019 at 2:23 PM, GLShooter said:

Light costs money if you really want to go there.  Everything from BCG's to triggers can be had lighter.  I like ASC skeleton stocks for light. although I have a couple Rogers adjustables that are very light also.  Just going with that barrel saved you the lions share of the weight problem. 

Greg 

I can second the Rogers SuperStock suggestion.  I own two and they are light and have a nice lock down feature that takes the rattle out of an adjustable six position stock.  I had an A2 standard stock on my .300 Black Out hunting carbine making it kind of heavy so I swapped the SuperStock on it and it made a huge difference carrying it in the woods.  With a loaded 5 round hunting legal mag it weighs virtually nothing, maybe six pounds.  Its also has a 16" stainless barrel and  a slim 10" aluminum free float hand guard.  Its highly accurate and suits the woods I hunt in perfectly.  A lot of your weight will come from your optic so choose it carefully. 

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

the stock is where you can save some weight along with a lighter handguard. The ATI Tactlite is 6.10 ounces.  The Daniel Defense Tornado is about 6 ounce. Mission First Tactical  Battlelink around 6 ounces. The Strike Industries  Viper Mod 1 around 6 ounces.  Brigand Arms LLC Edge Handguard is around 11 ounces. Crosfire II 2-7x is 14.3 ounces. The handguard is a wallet buster but its lightweight carbon fiber.

• Thanks 1

When I did a lightweight build a few years ago, I used the Battle Arms Development Sabretube (Mid)/QD Endplate/B.A.D.-BS Stock Combo. The drawback for some is that it is not adjustable. For a person of smaller stature, it can be just right.

https://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com/shop/product/sabertube-r-qd-lightweight-stock-kit-3365?category=20

ujXIvrs.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I’ll look at those stocks. The lighter barrel and lightweight handguard helps and the upper is already quite light. The gas block is held up by the hurricane but the upper will be ready to go when it gets here.

My D-I-L is really excited. I thought we’d share this rifle, but I see myself building one to keep and leaving this one in Wisconsin! If she fills her tag with it this year, it’ll be real hard not to put it in her stocking and start a build for myself. :santa::christmas-tree-3:

Is the Rogers stock the same that got poor reviews when Colt started using it on some of their AR 15 models a few years back ? 

I handled a couple of rifles with them, and they were very un-smooth for lack of a better word.  Have they improved them ? It's been a while. 

Thanks