Yotohenn

Degree of interchangeability?

Yet another newbie here. So I just want to hear pretty much a direct yes or no. So to what extent are the parts on an ar15 interchangeable? Would I be able take a store bought ar15 and sayyyyy swap out the trigger for...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/franklinarmory.com/amp/franklin-armory-bfsiii-ar-s1/

Obviously noting that it does say for the trigger 

“No 80% lowers, No polymer lowers, No Carbon lowers”.... or do I just sound like a dummy right now? 

14 minutes ago, Yotohenn said:

Yet another newbie here. So I just want to hear pretty much a direct yes or no. So to what extent are the parts on an ar15 interchangeable? Would I be able take a store bought ar15 and sayyyyy swap out the trigger for...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/franklinarmory.com/amp/franklin-armory-bfsiii-ar-s1/

Obviously noting that it does say for the trigger 

“No 80% lowers, No polymer lowers, No Carbon lowers”.... or do I just sound like a dummy right now? 

Didn't read the link but yes, normally most ARs are indeed Legos and most everything is interchangeable, upgradeable, etc.

Welcome to the forum.

Edit: 

Welcome to the board. Pretty well universally interchangeable now a days. There are some out there with different size larger pins out there but not common at this point.

We just had a thread on the binary triggers here BTW.  They don't get a lot of love,

Greg

• Like 1

I feel like they should though? Why wouldn’t they get more love?

14 minutes ago, Yotohenn said:

First...Welcome!

Now, don't take any personal offense. This isn't directed at you, but it's an answer to your question.

They don't promote safety.

They don't promote accuracy.

They draw undo scrutiny from the anti-2A crowd that is already committed to stomping on The Constitution by pushing the limits of the NFA similarly to bump-fire stocks (another waste of money brought to you by Franklin Arsenal, and we saw how that turned out :thumbdown:).

In general, they are a gimmick that is both a waste of money and ammo, and serve no useful purpose beyond giving the communists infesting our government more ammunition for unConstitutionally denying us our God given rights.

IMO, Franklin Arsenal is selling us all out to make a fast buck off wannabe's fantasies. When SHTF, a good marksman will be much more effective than fools with binary triggers and BFS gimmicks, because they will be spraying and praying while the marksman is busy actually hitting what he intends to.

27 minutes ago, Yotohenn said:

In my case they are banned in the 3Gun competitions I shoot in. They cannot be used in F-Class as that is a load one shoot one deal. In High Power they would be useless over time.  They would be disastrous if you are shooting in less than ideal conditions for groups.  On moving targets if you must adjust for shot placement they would be hard to control as you work in the mental gymnastics of adapting on the fly.  If shooting prairie dogs and you have to move much looking for the next target at 300 yards it would be a challenge to move smoothly and dial in any dope if you decide it is needed. In a SD situation you may not have time  or want extra rounds on  an assailant and then move onto the next. Also the gymnastics of holding a trigger back and moving the selector if you are left handed is no bueno. 

They are  a toy to me inthe same group as bump stocks. Nothing wrong if a guy wants one but for me they don't give me something I want at this time. I've got a FA if I want be stylish when I'm shooting the dirt so they would be a step down for me. In all honesty I live in a world of precision shooting and love to just burn powder as well as the next guy for plinking but even then my plinking is pretty dang demanding..LOL

Greg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yotohenn said:

So I just want to hear pretty much a direct yes or no

Here ya'll go. "I" honored his request and followed orders. And now you even have Yotohenn participating. The shame of it all. :snicker:

8 minutes ago, bamashooter said:

Here ya'll go. "I" honored his request and followed orders. And now you even have Yotohenn participating. The shame of it all. :snicker:

It'll be a cold day in Phoenix when I give a yes or no to a gear question. I claim Medicare Eligible privilege.

Greg

• Haha 2

Welcome to the board.

Personally, I will not own a weapon that fires a round upon release of the trigger.

Think about holding the lever down on a hand grenade after you have pulled the pin. 

If you have any experience with weapons it will be counter intuitive to have a bullet fired upon the release of the trigger.

There are some high dollar shotguns designed for pro Trap shooters (clay birds ) where the trigger is pressed with no round fired,

the clay bird is released, and the shooter releases the trigger to fire the round. This is a very specialized form of competition shooting, not for a casual day at the range, defensive training, or home defense.  If you own or or considering buying an AR I would suggest at the very least team up with someone who has experience with the platform,

and spend your money on amoo, and learn to shoot the rifle first with iron sights or a red dot on a static and controlled range. 

In other words, learn the basics of gun safety if you don't already know, and go have fun shooting the heck out of the gun, and learning to hit what you are shooting at. 

I'd like you to welcome you to the board. I'd also like to tell that it is difficult to given an opinion to a self described "newbe" without knowing your exact level of experience.

It is the safe thing for us to do to presume no or minimal level of experience is the safe way to go until we get to know you. 

My motto  is "Shoot what you like, and like what you shoot."

I have no problem giving my opinion when asked, but what works for me might not work for you and visa versa. I think you are finding no love here for that trigger is because it is a toy and just plain dangerous, IMO.  I will not do a thing to deny your right to buy it though, if you are willing to become safe with it. Remember the hand grenade with the pin pulled and you holding the spoon down so it does not explode?   Not safe. Neither is that trigger.   We won't be spending much time on the range together, though, and i'm sure that is heartbreaking for you.   :laugh:  You should also understand that there are VERY few things that you will find that there is a general (but not complete) consensus that something or some action is a bad idea, beyond the written in stone safety rules for gun handling. 

Having said that, not only would I not install that trigger on any of my rifles, I will not be present on the same range with a person who is using one. 

IMHO, they are just plain dangerous.  If you have shooting buddies who are urging you to get that trigger, I would suggest you find new shooting buddies, especially if they use that trigger themselves.  You are responsible for every bullet you send, and IMO, that trigger is a negligent discharge waiting to happen. It is not for serious shooters.

You HAVE found the best gun board on the interweb. We love helping out guys new to the AR platform, and we have a large and vastly experience brain trust here. 

Tell us a bit more about yourself, your firearms experience, and what AR you own, along with other weapons. We love pics, too.

What do you want to do with your AR. Just fun at the range, or self defense, or a combination of both ? Hunting ?  Long (er) range target work ? 

Come on in and make yourself at home. We got your back.

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retcop said:

Welcome to the board.

Personally, I will not own a weapon that fires a round upon release of the trigger.

Think about holding the lever down on a hand grenade after you have pulled the pin. 

If you have any experience with weapons it will be counter intuitive to have a bullet fired upon the release of the trigger.

There are some high dollar shotguns designed for pro Trap shooters (clay birds ) where the trigger is pressed with no round fired,

the clay bird is released, and the shooter releases the trigger to fire the round. This is a very specialized form of competition shooting, not for a casual day at the range, defensive training, or home defense.  If you own or or considering buying an AR I would suggest at the very least team up with someone who has experience with the platform,

and spend your money on amoo, and learn to shoot the rifle first with iron sights or a red dot on a static and controlled range. 

In other words, learn the basics of gun safety if you don't already know, and go have fun shooting the heck out of the gun, and learning to hit what you are shooting at. 

I'd like you to welcome you to the board. I'd also like to tell that it is difficult to given an opinion to a self described "newbe" without knowing your exact level of experience.

It is the safe thing for us to do to presume no or minimal level of experience is the safe way to go until we get to know you. 

My motto  is "Shoot what you like, and like what you shoot."

I have no problem giving my opinion when asked, but what works for me might not work for you and visa versa. I think you are finding no love here for that trigger is because it is a toy and just plain dangerous, IMO.  I will not do a thing to deny your right to buy it though, if you are willing to become safe with it. Remember the hand grenade with the pin pulled and you holding the spoon down so it does not explode?   Not safe. Neither is that trigger.   We won't be spending much time on the range together, though, and i'm sure that is heartbreaking for you.   :laugh:  You should also understand that there are VERY few things that you will find that there is a general (but not complete) consensus that something or some action is a bad idea, beyond the written in stone safety rules for gun handling. 

Having said that, not only would I not install that trigger on any of my rifles, I will not be present on the same range with a person who is using one. 

IMHO, they are just plain dangerous.  If you have shooting buddies who are urging you to get that trigger, I would suggest you find new shooting buddies, especially if they use that trigger themselves.  You are responsible for every bullet you send, and IMO, that trigger is a negligent discharge waiting to happen. It is not for serious shooters.

You HAVE found the best gun board on the interweb. We love helping out guys new to the AR platform, and we have a large and vastly experience brain trust here. 

Tell us a bit more about yourself, your firearms experience, and what AR you own, along with other weapons. We love pics, too.

What do you want to do with your AR. Just fun at the range, or self defense, or a combination of both ? Hunting ?  Long (er) range target work ? 

Come on in and make yourself at home. We got your back.

John

Got to agree with the rest.  I've actually looked at that trigger in the past as a potentially useful tool, but ultimately came to the conclusion that it is not only WAY overpriced considering you could get a Geissele trigger for half that cost and have something very beneficial, but it goes against everything we know about triggers. 

It is much like the guy on Youtube who trained himself to ride a bicycle which he engineered to reverse the steering; After spending months re-training his brain to ride a 'backwards bicycle', he then had to re-learn to ride a regular bicycle.  

To further cement John's argument about negligent discharges, allow me to insert a story of my own which happened not too long ago.  Out on the range, I had my open bolt sub-machinegun which I have used extensively, full mag inserted, bolt closed.  Go to pull the charging handle located on the left side of the receiver, and my finger slips.  Bet you can guess what happens when you're running a firearm which utilizes a fixed firing pin on the bolt face, and the bolt is released premature of the sear engagement.  It put a little fear in me that day, because there's always that 'what if?' scenario running through your mind.  You never want to be responsible for a round fired which you did not INTEND to.  Thankfully, that's why we have the firearm safety rules that we do, but still.  My point is, if you train your whole life to know a pulled trigger is a bang, a released trigger is no bang, then you throw a binary trigger into that mix, you're doing yourself no favors.

Trust me, I think a two round burst would be cool as hell, but if you're going for a machinegun, do it right.  'Bite the bullet', get a legit title II firearm.  You wouldn't regret it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Welcome :)

I swap stuff between ARs all the time. Occasionally a trigger also.

As a Marine who has fired hundreds of thousands of rounds through machine guns and select fire rifles. 

I can fire as fast with a regular Timney or Geissele SSA-E trigger as I can with the Franklin Armory one and more accurately. 

I just named 2. There are other very good triggers. You’ll really notice the difference.

I've played with the TAC-CON and other “fast firing” triggers and bump stocks also.

id rather spend my money on a good trigger vs one of the gimmick ones.

Accuracy before speed.

just my opinion 

Edited by Gunny G
Additional info
  • Like 1

Another very fast set up yet I find very reliable is what was the Hiperfire 24C. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bamashooter said:

Another very fast set up yet I find very reliable is what was the Hiperfire 24C. 

I haven’t tried those yet.

I still have ten different triggers in an Ammo can I need to swap out! 

Good Triggers ain’t cheap

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gunny G said:

Welcome :)

I swap stuff between ARs all the time. Occasionally a trigger also.

As a Marine who has fired hundreds of thousands of rounds through machine guns and select fire rifles. 

I can fire as fast with a regular Timney or Geissele SSA-E trigger as I can with the Franklin Armory one and more accurately. 

I just named 2. There are other very good triggers. You’ll really notice the difference.

I've played with the TAC-CON and other “fast firing” triggers and bump stocks also.

id rather spend my money on a good trigger vs one of the gimmick ones.

Accuracy before speed.

just my opinion 

Have you tried the LaRue MBT25 trigger on an AR, gunny. 

I have been sitting on one since Christmas,  but it looks like acquiring what I need for a build is on the 10 year plan. :laugh:

I know this trigger is not build for speed or a light trigger pull, but thought I would get your opinion.

Everyone here who is using one loves it for a defensive rifle.   I think LaRue still has them for about 90 bucks, 

which is a hell of a deal for a trigger for which Job 1 is making the gun go bang every time even in heavy and prolonged use in bad conditions but is heads above mil spec

in feel.  Larue provides two springs, one is 5.5 lbs, the other is 4.5 pounds.

Every once in a while I take it out of the can and play with it.   (The trigger, that is.)      :segrin:

• Haha 2