Hi guys thanks for dropping in.

So 2 years back I went and purchased my first AR and some half decent 2x Sight off Amazon Your entry level DPMS Oracle.

Well that sights now broke when shooting last and I got the ol trusty Amazon red dot for looks and I'm reinvesting.

Went out and got a Vortex 3x Prism.

Ill be getting it picked up today, I went to a small local shop.

Went to the a retail gun store Megasports asking about this forgrip/bipod thing a friend of mine has. The dude was clueless. So after some extra after talking started with a new Magpull M-Lok Carbine hand guard.

I'm new to this whole bling thing. Ive only grown up shooting traditional bolt actions, shotguns and handguns.

The one sokid thing I do know; just about everything is interchangeable.

So some stupid questions I probably have.

This handguard has that m-lok system.

So am I now limited so certain attachments? If so does anyone got a link so those sites?

*What all plastics can I swap out?

Stock/Handguard/ arent there colored grips or how does that work?

*Is there a section on barrels somewhere and I havent seen it? Want to read into that bedore making that judgment call.

*With the big stock gas block on the Oracle I'm limited on my "usable length" for additional features.

Ideally id like to run some style foward/fore grip and bipod for this local zombie shootout thing

(targets 10-20 meters and then they rifle starting at 30 80 meters)

I feel like there isnt enough length with my current setup.

So what can I do about that?

As I keep putting things together I plan on keeping this up to date as much as possible including range time when I go as my thanks to you all for helping me thru this.

EDIT:

After the first few comments and some more research heres my "upgrade list".

I'll add links as I figure out what I want. But please feel free to drop suggestions.

*2 stage Trigger

https://geissele.com/geissele-2-stage-trigger.html

*Stock

Going to store

*Low pro gas rail and block

https://www.dpmsinc.com/DPMS-Micro-750-Gas-Block_p_268.html

*Grip

Going to store

*Charging Handle

https://www.primaryarms.com/timber-creek-outdoors-enforcer-ambidextrous-charging-handle-od-green

*Safety selector

https://www.tacticalgalaxy.com/rifle-parts-ar15/ar15-lower-parts/ar15-safety-switches/timber-creek-red-anodized-ambi-safety-for-ar15.html

*Extended bolt release

*Sling

Blue Force Gear BLFVCAS-200-OA-BK Vickers 2-Point Padded Combat Sling, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077E5DNG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tdYBDb15FQW7X

Picture sets:

First 6 are right now 11am. New Vortex Is in the mail.

Tried so show off what I have to work with. Everthing is stock except that handguard.0da95e415c79a5c261e6b43fa8c05a82.jpg50117ab065584ebc0bc860e396120ae3.jpg5a1a488fd1e9359d23dd904347eab7ee.jpg66495911efed42c7717b9f2246e30d4d.jpg5d9976f178602eb7a1d3035ad3d70604.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

---- Update. I made a typo above which was corrected.

Also picked up my sights and got them installed. I love this optic for aesthetics so far and cannot wait to hit the range for some Zeroeing and practice.

You'll notice that I've also moved the red dot to one of the offset rails for the "cool" factor. 79febd758b42dad94f2d6f3746ac759e.jpg02ddc9376a3914334974df5e780a199d.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome!   I see a low pro gas block and a free float hand guard in your future. 

• Like 1

Welcome!   I see a low pro gas block and a free float hand guard in your future. 
Someone with insight.

Do you've any sugggestions as far as companies go? Id rather spend money on something reputable than an Amazon rating

JP makes a nice low pro block. All I have are round tubes for hand guards so I cannot help you out much there. Mine are basic bench guns....

GIo80xa.jpg

• Like 1

• Welcome to the forum.  :anim_wave:   Nice looking weapon.  I think TT is right on with the handguard and gas block.  Have you thought about triggers, maybe a silent capture spring.... other non visual but performance enhancing features?

• Welcome to the forum.  :anim_wave:   Nice looking weapon.  I think TT is right on with the handguard and gas block.  Have you thought about triggers, maybe a silent capture spring.... other non visual but performance enhancing features?
Its crossed my mind absolutely. But as a newer AR enthusiast I'm not really sure where to begin when it comes to enhanced parts.
One thing for sure i want is a new lower... I really dislike the gaudy dpms stamp. But why stop at just a lower only. Gotta upgrade the whole power system.

I can certainly attest to the quality/durability of Bravo Company rails.  Been running mine for a couple of years now.  It's pretty safe to say that anything BCM is good to go.  Honestly, so long as you stick with a reputable manufacturer, it'll be difficult to go wrong.

I'm going to probably disappoint you a bit with what's said next: There's an acronym often tossed around.  K.I.S.S. - 'Keep It Simple Stupid'.  You don't have to go out and drop thousands of dollars on products, but you also don't want products meant for airsoft on your rifle.  I'm glad that Cv-Life optic has worked for you thus far, but it isn't something I'd be putting on a rifle which is going to see any serious use whatsoever.  Rimfire range toy? "Maybe".   Vortex has a pretty strong track record for producing quality optics, and has an outstanding warranty should things go awry, so the Spitfire should be good to go.  But, I'd remove the Cv-Life.  Shooting with both eyes open, 3x is quite manageable for 10yd. to 500yd.  I've been experimenting with just that using a 3.5x ACOG on a 7.62NATO 'battle rifle' recently, with decent results. HOWEVER,  a small reflex sight like that can come in handy in certain situations, and there are MANY out there which have proven themselves.  Vortex, Leupold, Trijicon, hell even Dr. Optic..  In other words, ditch the stuff made in a Chinese sweat shop. 

GET A SLING!  A sling not only retains your rifle, but also provides another point of contact to help stabilize.  Personally, I run two-point slings on all of my rifles.  Tried single-point, hated it.  It is an absolute nut cracker.  But, only you can decide the best way to sling your rifle by testing it.  The one you see below is Blue Force Gear;  Love them, will always use them.  Heard great things about Viking Tactic as well.  Will likely try theirs next.

PMFV5Mg.jpg

Whilst typing this, I see you mentioned purchasing a new lower receiver?  Assuming you mean a completed lower, considering it wouldn't make much sense to rob the lower parts from the DPMS for use on the new one, SO, at that point, you're half way to a new rifle.  If you're going to go that far, you may as well gather the tools and assemble your own, personalized AR-15, using all of the parts and accessories you wanted from the start.  Just my $.02.

Edited by Forsaken352

Oh, also, for the local zombie shootout thing, if I am reading it correctly, you're saying the targets begin at 80m?  So, there's a possibility for extended ranges?  Are these torso-sized?  Do only headshots count?  If torso shots are considered a hit, 80m should be no issue whatsoever for that rifle, especially with magnification.  While a bipod would make it quicker, it is also going to add a lot of unnecessary weight/bulk to it.  Those ounces add up fast, so if you're having to do any sort of movement, you'll soon realize those ounces became pounds.  From the standing position, 200-250yd. is pretty manageable on a torso target with a little practice.  So, not sure what kind of environment you're looking at, but if you require more support, something that can be quickly attached/detached might be handy.  I've noticed Ian McCollum from Forgotten Weapons has been using a magnetic bipod during 3gun with pretty decent results.

Not sure if this is it or not, but Tiborasaurus Rex has long been regarded as somebody that knows his shat.  Seems pretty slick.

I can certainly attest to the quality/durability of Bravo Company rails.  Been running mine for a couple of years now.  It's pretty safe to say that anything BCM is good to go.  Honestly, so long as you stick with a reputable manufacturer, it'll be difficult to go wrong.

I'm going to probably disappoint you a bit with what's said next: There's an acronym often tossed around.  K.I.S.S. - 'Keep It Simple Stupid'.  You don't have to go out and drop thousands of dollars on products, but you also don't want products meant for airsoft on your rifle.  I'm glad that Cv-Life optic has worked for you thus far, but it isn't something I'd be putting on a rifle which is going to see any serious use whatsoever.  Rimfire range toy? "Maybe".   Vortex has a pretty strong track record for producing quality optics, and has an outstanding warranty should things go awry, so the Spitfire should be good to go.  But, I'd remove the Cv-Life.  Shooting with both eyes open, 3x is quite manageable for 10yd. to 500yd.  I've been experimenting with just that using a 3.5x ACOG on a 7.62NATO 'battle rifle' recently, with decent results. HOWEVER,  a small reflex sight like that can come in handy in certain situations, and there are MANY out there which have proven themselves.  Vortex, Leupold, Trijicon, hell even Dr. Optic..  In other words, ditch the stuff made in a Chinese sweat shop. 

GET A SLING!  A sling not only retains your rifle, but also provides another point of contact to help stabilize.  Personally, I run two-point slings on all of my rifles.  Tried single-point, hated it.  It is an absolute nut cracker.  But, only you can decide the best way to sling your rifle by testing it.  The one you see below is Blue Force Gear;  Love them, will always use them.  Heard great things about Viking Tactic as well.  Will likely try theirs next.

PMFV5Mg.jpg

Whilst typing this, I see you mentioned purchasing a new lower receiver?  Assuming you mean a completed lower, considering it wouldn't make much sense to rob the lower parts from the DPMS for use on the new one, SO, at that point, you're half way to a new rifle.  If you're going to go that far, you may as well gather the tools and assemble your own, personalized AR-15, using all of the parts and accessories you wanted from the start.  Just my $.02.

-Thanks for a reputable company!!

I'm going to probably disappoint you a bit with what's said next: There's an acronym often tossed around.  K.I.S.S. - 'Keep It Simple Stupid'.

-And I absolutely agree. The youve got on the gun the less weight youve got. The battery is already removed. Since its not getting a semi serious makeover I dont want to be adding cheap crap.

I'm glad that Cv-Life optic has worked for you thus far, but it isn't something I'd be putting on a rifle which is going to see any serious use whatsoever.  Rimfire range toy?

-I would call it range toy absolutely. But I want to keep funtionality in mind as well.

Shooting with both eyes open, 3x is quite manageable for 10yd. to 500yd.
In other words, ditch the stuff made in a Chinese sweat shop. 

-This is something ive been keen on improving. Part of the reason I got the optic I did.

GET A SLING!  A sling not only retains your rifle, but also provides another point of contact to help stabilize. 

-already on the shopping list

Whilst typing this, I see you mentioned purchasing a new lower receiver? 

-Possibly, potentially.. Really its another aesthetic thing at the bottom of my list. But you do make a valid point. If you do one you do the other.
Knowing what I know now I wish id have made it from scratch from the start.
The trigger action right now is very hard. Id like to soften it up.

Oh, also, for the local zombie shootout thing, if I am reading it correctly, you're saying the targets begin at 80m?  So, there's a possibility for extended ranges?  Are these torso-sized?  Do only headshots count?  If torso shots are considered a hit, 80m should be no issue whatsoever for that rifle, especially with magnification.  While a bipod would make it quicker, it is also going to add a lot of unnecessary weight/bulk to it.  Those ounces add up fast, so if you're having to do any sort of movement, you'll soon realize those ounces became pounds.  From the standing position, 200-250yd. is pretty manageable on a torso target with a little practice. 

Honestly ive never gone to shoot in it nor gone to watch others shoot so i dont know what to actually expect. I do plan going this year to spectate so ill have an understanding then.

Its the put it under Action Sport shooting if that helps.

Heres a direct quote from their event on facebook

"The event will feature stages for pistol, rifle, and shotgun and will have something to do for all levels of shooting, from beginner to advanced. Target distances will be from point blank range out to 200 yards. "

So with that in mind yeah youre right a quick removeable bipod or that bipod/fore grip combo my buddy has would be better.

57 minutes ago, norsefarrier said:

Its crossed my mind absolutely. But as a newer AR enthusiast I'm not really sure where to begin when it comes to enhanced parts.
One thing for sure i want is a new lower... I really dislike the gaudy dpms stamp. But why stop at just a lower only. Gotta upgrade the whole power system.

Although you have a very fine looking rifle  to begin with, And I actually like the DPMS lower, if you really want to go high end you might look at the LaRue rifles.  A SOLID high end start then move on to the minor upgrades.  Everyone needs more than one rifle anyway right?  A beater AND a safe queen.  NOT CHEAP, but if you want one of the best out there....    https://www.larue.com/category/rifles/

Sometimes it is cheaper to start with a finished, tested product...

• Like 1

Although you have a very fine looking rifle  to begin with, And I actually like the DPMS lower, if you really want to go high end you might look at the LaRue rifles.  A SOLID high end start then move on to the minor upgrades.  Everyone needs more than one rifle anyway right?  A beater AND a safe queen.  NOT CHEAP, but if you want one of the best out there....    https://www.larue.com/category/rifles/
Sometimes it is cheaper to start with a finished, tested product...

Thanks for the fluffer haha
. Ive thought about that also... Just buying up a new gun but theres something about putting that time into it and with my job winter slows me down which means money tightens up so buying a new gun isnt ideal.
Like the difference between getting a dog and raising your dog.
The time put into building that dog up is way better than it being a house mutt.
I do plan on getting another rifle down the road that id like to piece together myself from scratch but this cheap-o is a great place to start learning with.

6 minutes ago, norsefarrier said:

Honestly ive never gone to shoot in it nor gone to watch others shoot.

Heres a direct quote from their event on facebook
"The event will feature stages for pistol, rifle, and shotgun and will have something to do for all levels of shooting, from beginner to advanced. Target distances will be from point blank range out to 200 yards. "

Well, here's what I can tell you:  The range I most often frequent is the one right out my back door, to a max of 230yd.  I am in desperate need of new glasses, and from 200, that torso target looks almost like the eraser on a pencil.  Perhaps SLIGHTLY larger, but not much.  To the left, there is a dueling tree with 6" circular plates.  From standing, magnified optic?  No problem.  No magnification, requires a little more concentration.  The spinners?  Now that's a different story.  Those look more like the ball point of a pen with no magnification.  It is possible, but usually, if I try it, it's from a seated position, sitting 'Indian style', resting my elbow on my knee, much like a hunter would.    So, if you have relatively decent vision, a good sling, patience, breathing control, trigger control, a decent zero on your optic, and hold your tongue in your mouth just right, you should have little to no issue with a 3x optic to make hits.  You might need to turn the brightness down on the optic to barely visible to reduce any starburst for better accuracy, but it's all doable.  If you still prefer the bipod option, there are many options available to you.  You could get a Harris with a QD mount and a section of Mlok to picatinny rail, but would be very limited on handguard space, you could get a new low-pro gas block and freefloat rail (the option I'd likely choose) for more real estate, you could do the magnetic bipod, you could try out the grip pod, etc.

Well, here's what I can tell you:  The range I most often frequent is the one right out my back door, to a max of 230yd.  I am in desperate need of new glasses, and from 200, that torso target looks almost like the eraser on a pencil.  Perhaps SLIGHTLY larger, but not much.  To the left, there is a dueling tree with 6" circular plates.  From standing, magnified optic?  No problem.  No magnification, requires a little more concentration.  The spinners?  Now that's a different story.  Those look more like the ball point of a pen with no magnification.  It is possible, but usually, if I try it, it's from a seated position, sitting 'Indian style', resting my elbow on my knee, much like a hunter would.   

-You've done a phenomenal job with this explanation. Major kudos

you could get a new low-pro gas block and freefloat rail (the option I'd likely choose) for more real estate.

-I'm thinking the exact same thing.

8 minutes ago, norsefarrier said:

Well, glad I could help.  As for the trigger, Geissele is always one at the top of the list.  ALG defense is a more budget friendly alternative, and is a sister company, run by Bill Geissele's wife.  Personally, I can't weigh in on it much, though.  The only 'upgraded' trigger I have ever used is a Rock River two stage which came with the rifle.