GLShooter

22 LBC Not Your Average 22 -- Long With Pics

Yeah thats the same thing i do , primer edges was still rounded on 3340 load but know it still is a hot load. Getting into 223WSM velocities! ...according to Hodgdon  data, with 8-10 gr more powder.

I checked capacity again since annealing brass and several firings....

Hornady is 36.5 and Norma is 37.5. 

Im still going to get some Lapua brass to see how much capacity gain it has over Norma .

Greg, first off i want to thank you for all of your help/info!

Was wondering if you could do me a huge favor..... when you get a chance.... could you fill one of your fired or sized Lapua LBC cases to the top with CFE, tap case to make sure powder is settled, scrape off top then weigh how much it holds @ ?.??  oal of case measured..... would be GREATLY appreciated... 

Edited by ES350

1.509 OAL  38.8 grains CFE 223 shaken not stirred.

Greg

Thanks! 

Was that a sized or fired case?

Thanks again! 

With Norma , fired and 1.509" i am at 39.9 gr of CFE.

That falls within case to case variation for sure. 

The 22 LBC was 38.8 also  I guess I have 243/22 scrambled as I have bene working with the 243 so much. Way to many boxes of brass setting on the table.  I fixed that this AM!!

Greg

Ok thanks, i filled my brass up then dumped into powder pan to weigh.

Have checked this before as i saw on another forum 35 gr CFE in 22 Nosgar and 22 Nosler brass showing the difference in the 2.

I put 35 in one of my cases as a visual reference... then filled it up. That case may have been a bit longer... but held 40.1 IIRC.  Which my chamber blows out a Grendel case .08" at the shoulder...and is 40°

So if your LBC is just a straight 6.5 Grendel necked down ,Lapua brass should give me more capacity in in my chamber.

There is a guy on FB saying in his 243 LBC Norma (36.2) has .1 gr more h20 capacity  than Lapua ( 36.1). 

His #'s vs my #'s is 1.3 gr difference... 

My 39.9 gr CFE vs your 38.8 (22 cal vs his 243)  is 1.1 gr CFE difference.... 

May be the water used or??? 

But seems your H20 # is off for LBC , no offense but for your records/load data might recheck . 

According to your posted # your case should hold more CFE.... as mine is at 37.5 gr of H20 you listed 37.96 of H20 .

How old is your brass? May just be your lot of brass....

Different brass lots, some guys don't knock the meniscus bulge off, bolt faces can vary 0.005 in depth and that changes volume. I grabbed a case out of a box. Maybe it was a low intensity expansion.

Basically everyone has different numbers. How many chambers were cut with that reamer? First cut is always the biggest. Last chamber is always the smallest.

We have to load to what we have. Plus or minus a few tenths won't do much. Heck even barrel rifling can make a huge difference on speed and brass life. I pretty much just report what I see. What others have is informative but of little consequence to me. As long as things line up relatively well I'm happy.

Greg

For sure, just gathering as much info as i can. Learned long ago best best method is to test for ones self. 

Thanks again and thanks for your time in testing/reporting your findings , look forward to more reports.

Following -

Gentlemen, great conversation. Almost being a wash,  which would you prefer (considering brass availability/quality, off the shelf chambered barrel/quality, case forming ease/die selection) between the 22 NXS and the 22 LBC for 55-75gn bullet weights. I will be pursuing this build based off your recommendations!

Mike 

20 hours ago, Tom Bombadil said:

Following -

Gentlemen, great conversation. Almost being a wash,  which would you prefer (considering brass availability/quality, off the shelf chambered barrel/quality, case forming ease/die selection) between the 22 NXS and the 22 LBC for 55-75gn bullet weights. I will be pursuing this build based off your recommendations!

Mike 

Sticking with the 75's or less the NXS will give you a better run for your money.. While the LBC is about 1.7% greater capacity the pressure differential will overcome that with the NXS case. If I was in the heavier for caliber mode then I would go with the LBC simply because of the shorter case length.  Case forming in the NXS is just running it up into a 22 Nosler die so it is a bit easier than the LBC  unless you have a progressive press and a couple extra die sets like I do. 

Of course none of the barrels are truly OTC. Talk with Ritch about a tube and I believe that turn around  is pretty fast on the custom orders  from what I;m hearing from him as Tactical Ordnance has an new driller using the supplied gear and the guy is actually turning out blanks for them as opposed to the last guy dragging his feet. These new blanks are air gauged and state of the art also. Last I heard Tac Ord ha a need for a new 22 LBC reamer and I just need to order one up as I want a Ruger RAP switch barrel for my rig. I am awaiting a 20 LBC for it now as I know they have that reamer ready to go.

Ask away if you have any other questions.

Greg

PS: Welcome to the board and I like the screen name..LOL