Sign in to follow this  
geepee3

And we are at "Phase 5"! Rails that is...

Well while buttoning everything up for Hurricane Dorian over the Labor Day weekend.

I ordered a Phase 5 13" Lo-Pro Slope Nose M-LOK FF Quad Rail and 1-1/8" crows foot wrench that were on sale. 

z6UMzFZ.jpg

XmAOVt0.jpg

So even with the USPS holding shipping into the "Danger Zone", I received it all Friday night.

Today I installed the new handguard on my 18" BHW barreled 6.8 SPC AR.

And because I'm running an adjustable gas block, had to open up one of the slant openings to more of a triangle to access the adjusting grub screw.

IOQIGMs.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the fourth "slant" mod. 

Install was not to hard. Had to pull and reinstall the muzzle device and gas block assembly.

Hardest part was finding the right shim thickness to get the barrel nut to time properly.    

Been wanting to change out my Troy FF handguards since I'm shooting more with open sights.

Found that it was impossible to center the rails. So with open sights, you started off with the windage moved quite a bit to one side or the other on the rear sights just to get on target.   

So when changing to FF handguards with "cylinder" shaped barrel nuts, I found very minimum windage needed to be added to the rear sights.

I have been using ALG Defense EMR V2 on most of my AR rifles. But saw the Phase 5 rails and wanted to give them a try. Besides, they do advertise here, and no, I do not work/sponsor for them.

Besides the "Slope" angled nose of the rail. I liked how the rail attaches to the barrel nut.

h00H2fx.jpg

Tightening cuts to secure the rail more solidly.

Instead of a round rail with just screws to hold it in. This has cuts to allow the bottom of the rail to draw down tight to the barrel nut.

What I also like is no anti-rotation tabs to cut off. Being I use billeted side charging uppers, I usually have to cut the anti-rotation tabs off. 

I like the overall angled shape of the rail. Matches closely to that of the upper receiver.

I'm hoping to get this rifle out Sunday.

Been too long between range trips.

Thanks,

Glenn

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure I've got a Phase 5 HG on one of my rifles. I really detest those where you have to use shims to time. I cannot remember where but somewhere I got a rails, one each, for an AR10 and AR15, which had a clamp style retainer. Was the easiest dang thing in the wold to install. I'll never buy another with the setup like that Phase 5 which screw into the barrel nut..

Now having said all that... once shimmed and setup they seem to work just fine. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flesh Wound said:

I'm pretty sure I've got a Phase 5 HG on one of my rifles. I really detest those where you have to use shims to time. I cannot remember where but somewhere I got a rails, one each, for an AR10 and AR15, which had a clamp style retainer. Was the easiest dang thing in the wold to install. I'll never buy another with the setup like that Phase 5 which screw into the barrel nut..

Now having said all that... once shimmed and setup they seem to work just fine. 

Well, stay away from the ALG Defense handguards then.

Same thing with timing the barrel nut.

To me it is just part of assembling an upper. Even with the USGI barrel nuts, which the Troy rail uses, I had to shim those to time. 

Fortunately I have all the shims I need because the ALG Defense handguards come with a bunch of different sized shims.

And apparently I'm a glutton for punishment because I have four of their rails.  :bye:

Phase  5 still has their labor day sale on.

I may end up with another one of these rail.

My 18" 6.8 SPC AR15 Performance barreled AR with the spiral barrel flutes would look good in one.

Thanks,

Glenn 

10 hours ago, Flesh Wound said:

<snip> I cannot remember where but somewhere I got a rails, one each, for an AR10 and AR15, which had a clamp style retainer. Was the easiest dang thing in the wold to install. I'll never buy another with the setup like that Phase 5 which screw into the barrel nut.<snip>. 

You might want to look into Bootleg's cam-lok rails.

https://bootleginc.com/product/bootlegs-camlok-m-lok/

FWIW, Bootleg makes receivers for PWS, so they are a top notch manufacturer.

• Like 1

Yeah!!!

Got to the range today. :yesss:

Everything worked out fairly well. 

Gas adjustment was minimal.

Sights... I need to kick myself in the butt...

Start out at 50 yards to get everything adjusted. Shooting single shots to make sure the bolt locks back and holds.

Shooting a little low. I have a special Match sight post that taper to .045" at the top of the post. But they are also taller 

Well I forgot my 5 pin adjustment tool. Had two 4 pin tools in the box with me.  I did get the post to move a couple of settings down.

Because I use HK style front sights, it is not as easy to access the sight post as with standard style sights.

So I move the target to 100 yards and shoot one last group.

OkgeLGf.jpg

Still shooting low(er). 5 shot group, yes all 5 shots are  in the black.

Okay, I pack up to go shoot pistol.

Here's the kicker... Take a look at the rifle again, notice the rear sight?

IOQIGMs.jpg

It's a Mini fixed A2 rear sight! Dummy here forgets all he has to do is raise the rear aperture.  :Loser:

Besides that... Someone also needs to get new glasses. Hard to see that 1-1/2" dot at 100 yds.

Thanks,

Glenn

• Like 1

That looks great Glenn.

This is what I was talking about. The clamp style handguard like this Matrix Arms model:

71229710_serveimage(2).jpeg.0bc006fa8ae7753aba7d245d8278dd83.jpeg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Flesh Wound said:

That looks great Glenn.

This is what I was talking about. The clamp style handguard like this Matrix Arms model:

71229710_serveimage(2).jpeg.0bc006fa8ae7753aba7d245d8278dd83.jpeg

That's the type I have on a couple of my AR pistols.

Thanks,

Glenn