AR15Armory.com

Colt LE6960 Upper

GoldnBullet

I recently bought a Colt LE6960 Stripped Upper off of Brownells for $508 shipped, however once I inspected the upper I noticed 'gouges' in the end of the gas tube that interfaces with the gas key.  I just learned today that Colt will stop selling 'Complete Rifles' to the commercial market. I did notice that the quality and 'refinement' was less than the BCM's I have or inspected, with the BCM equivalent costing around $600 . Also Colt Barrel is only MPI not HPT tested when compared to a BCM, not a biggie as not going to war but a plus. I am sending the defective colt upper back to Brownells for a refund....However:

Should I exchange the defective Colt upper with another one or just wait for a BCM ELW down the road....

Edited by GoldnBullet

4 minutes ago, GLShooter said:

I think I'd have just put a $15.00 gas tube in it but then that's me.

Greg

I was considering that, but for a brand new upper and having to remove the rail I will let the factory catch their mistake. I also moved into a location where I don't have a workbench.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GoldnBullet said:

I recently bought a Colt LE6960 Upper off of Brownells for $508 shipped, however once I inspected the upper I noticed 'gouges' in the end of the gas tube that interfaces with the gas key.  I just learned today that Colt will stop selling 'Complete Rifles' to the commercial market. I did notice that the quality and 'refinement' was less than the BCM's I have or inspected, with the BCM equivalent costing around $600 . Also Colt Barrel is only MPI not HPT tested when compared to a BCM, not a biggie as not going to war but a plus. I am sending the defective colt upper back to Brownells for a refund....However:

Should I exchange the defective Colt upper with another one or just wait for a BCM ELW down the road....

It's really your call.

My first build, well I did build out the lower, used a BCM Upper.

Sounds like you'd probably be more pleased buying the BCM.  I just went to the Bravo Company site and priced out the BCM ELW 16" upper with bolt carrier group and charging handle and the price was $910.90. Depending on your funds only you can decide if it's worth spending that kind of money for an upper.

37 minutes ago, GoldnBullet said:

I was considering that, but for a brand new upper and having to remove the rail I will let the factory catch their mistake. I also moved into a location where I don't have a workbench.

Realistically if you adjusted the tube not to strike the gas key you would have never noticed it or seen an operational degradation.  Heck I get custom uppers built for me that have never been checked for head space or fired for function.  That would make many guys tear their hair out worrying but I liken it to buying a custom motor for my Corvette years ago. I didn't tear it down to see if it was right I just took it out and ran the snot out of it.  I readily admit I'm a function over form guy in the world so sometimes s bit of "wrench turning" comes my way ..LOL

Greg

• Like 1