GLShooter

COLT SALES

I just read an announcement that Colt will no longer be doing long gun sales to the public. I am shocked and amazed.

Greg

Reckon they know what we don't but do suspect regarding manufacturer liability?

2 minutes ago, Snake46 said:

Reckon they know what we don't but do suspect regarding manufacturer liability?

According to this article they've been losing money on rifles for years.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/colt-halts-sales-of-long-guns-to-the-retail-market/

In response to the news, one industry insider told us . . .

They’ve been losing left and right to companies both big and small. They don’t have the high end or the low end market, and they’ve finally realized that the prancing pony isn’t enough for this generation of shooters to buy less rifle for more money. Instead of getting better, they’ve given up.

• Like 1

Colt has been standing on nothing more than their name for a long time now. 

• Like 1

They talked years ago about getting out of the 1911 business too.  They don't have a whole lot left.  

If they bring back the Python, and they can make a little money short term.  

• Like 1

30 years ago Colt owned the market. There were some competitors making AR'S but they hadn't really taken off yet as the platform was limited by caliber and bullet design in that caliber which made it unsuitable for all but varmint hunting. 

That changed in 1991 with the ARA2 displacing the M14 on the winner's podium at Camp Perry. When they figured out how to use that 1-7.5" twist to launch heavier bullets the game changed overnight. 

Colt didn't adapt and the market did. Everyone makes AR's now in lower price points or higher quality. Colt is really a victim of their own choosing. Had they offered price point rifles earlier and adapted to modular construction, they could have remained dominant in the industry. 

They seem to be moving back to their revolver roots, which will likely not work out either. The single actions are hand fitted and they have never made enough to turn a sustainable profit. The Cobra series aren't what they used to be and sell more for the name than the design or advantages to it.  They will probably come out with a new "Python" which will be a name only. 

The same goes with 1911's. Everyone makes them cheaper and better. 

I gave up on Colt a long ago. In my admittedly lower end expertise with the AR platform, it became obvious to me that there were better choices and much better values in well manufactured and well assembled AR's than Colt. 

I mean no disrespect to any Colt owners, and as always, Shoot what you like and like what you shoot. IMO, Colt was never much good at supporting the consumer end of their business, and not just with AR's.  When FN got their contract to produce a good number of weapons for the Military, one would think Colt's business decision would be to maximize their consumer business. It seems to me that their heart was never in it. I am not an expert in the history of Colt, but the bankruptcy (or near bankruptcy) was something they never recovered from, because they failed to recognize that for a long period of time whatever market share of consumer business they wanted was theirs for the taking. The obviously were never very hungry for that business, and as FW said, they were willing to rest on the power of their brand, which they failed to maintain.

While I think their announcement will have negative political repercussions for the AR platform in the fight over gun control, I have not had use for Colt for quite some time. 

The only sad part for me is the History of a once proud firearms manufacturer tied to that of our Republic will go out with what appears to be a politically correct whisper.

I pray that the movement to restore the Second Amendment to its rightful place in our history and current society does not suffer the similar fate of going out with a 

whisper. 

• Like 1

It was destined to happen sooner of later. They are the ONLY union firearms manufacturer, and the UAW has never been exactly supportive of the firearms industry.

Bye Bye

IIRC Colt was the first to stop civilian sales prior to the Clinton ban.  It kicked them in the ass then and will do the same this time.  They don't have enough gov contracts to keep their heads above water.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gshayd said:

Bye Bye

Good riddance, IMHO.

I hate to see any American firearms manufacturer go under.  Especially an icon like Colt.

Sure they may be very much responsible for what's going on, but I'm not rejoicing in their fall.

11 hours ago, Retcop said:

Good riddance, IMHO.

I disagree with that. While I have little love for Colt the name going away would, IMHO, be a tragedy. 

I honestly hope hope they can pull up and out of the pit they are in. Although I doubt they will. 

Would just be a shame to see the good name of a legend perish 

21 minutes ago, Flesh Wound said:

I disagree with that. While I have little love for Colt the name going away would, IMHO, be a tragedy. 

I honestly hope hope they can pull up and out of the pit they are in. Although I doubt they will. 

I see your point.  You are absolutely right.

I withdraw my "Good riddance" statement, with apologies

to firearms aficionados who understand the intricate relationship of Colt guns and History,

but especially to those Military and LEO's, active and retired, who have or are currently using 

weapons manufactured by Colt in combat or the line of duty.

Sincerely,

John

1 hour ago, Flesh Wound said:

The only way I could see that, is if the firearms portion of Colt Industries ™ were purchased away from the parent corporation, which would unfortunately likely be at the loss of the name and iconic logo, without which it would just be like any other new company joining in on the firearms industry that's already in trouble. Probably not going to happen.

Colt has been on borrowed time ever since it became a part of a larger corporation, which was/is in part owned by the Kennedy's. By doing so, it was destined to become unionized, because at least two of the other companies involved were Crucible Steel and Holly Carburetors, the latter of which is why they became affiliated with the UAW.

• Like 1