adair_usmc

AAC Ti-Rant 45m + solvent = you’re gonna have a bad time

So I was cleaning some cans they have been long overdue for a cleaning and I dumped the baffles out of this can like I always do, and let them soak in some hoppes for a bit before I scrub them.  I don’t do ultrasonic on these since all but the blast baffles are aluminum.  I stick the tube in there as well as the pistons and let them soak for about 20 mins or so.  

I pull the tube out first since it’s easiest to clean and go wipe it down and a bunch of the finish comes clean off.  I had some nicks in the finish that weren’t a big deal but this is a whole new level.

FpunnMe.jpg

I have kicked around the idea of getting it cerakoted black multicam or kryptek typhon, so I guess this just forced the issue. 

Bummer! That really sucks!

I've been warned about what to do or not do as far as cleaning mine, and I hope that I never have a similar issue.

Contact Dan at Amelon Arms.  He is a sponsor here and a Class 3 dealer.  He can handle it for you.  Hooked up my SAS when I did jacked up the coating on it.

AAC is notorious for having poor 'finish' jobs on their cans.  My Element II is completely bare titanium now, and the full size Ti-Rant .45, which came to me as FDE, while a little more durable than the Element was, is still easily worn/chipped/flaked, etc.  Now, the few rings which are burnt into the Cerakote, I take responsibility for that.  Apparently, 70 round drum dumps on full auto are a little much.   Oh well!  

The SilencerCo Omega .300, on the other hand, has what seems to be an extremely durable finish. It picks up some wear marks, but it doesn't seem to shed its finish like the AAC cans.

On another note, has anybody tried Slip2000 Carbon Killer for their pistons/baffles?  I've been very bad about the cleaning intervals, because I've not found anything yet that actually cleans them well.

55 minutes ago, redbarron06 said:

Contact Dan at Amelon Arms.  He is a sponsor here and a Class 3 dealer.  He can handle it for you.  Hooked up my SAS when I did jacked up the coating on it.

Thank you.  I actually dropped this off at a local shop that manufactures suppressors and does cerakoting, and it’s getting makeover now.  

They were looking at it today and they said it appeared they did no prep work to the titanium tube before using whatever coating they used at AAC.  It was just flaking right off with a fingernail 

Going with a three color multicam pattern, using black, graphite gray, and flat dark earth. Going for a modified look similar to this - 

4bKXaxO.jpg

Looking forward to seeing it when its done.