Retcop

L.C. X193 & X855- Terminal ballistics

Basic question: Which round has the better terminal ballistics, th Lake city X193, or the X855 (penetrator) round ?

I found my mag loader, and it will save me a great deal of space to load my magazines. I have ammo taking up way too much space in my safe, and I hate to store it outside the safe. 

What says the brain trust ? [I also presume, even with the improvement in magazine spring steel, it is better safe than sorry to load the mags down to 28 rounds.] 

The only things I have been able to find online is general stuff like the X855 is infamous for poking "icepick" sized holes in the targets, and having a poor record of stoppages except for CNS hits. On the X193, what I find is that it was designed for 20" barrels, and out of my 16" barreled guns it will not achieve (or long maintain) the velocities to allow the bullet to tumble and/or fragment as designed.  More ice pick holes.  <sigh>   I did stock up on a decent amount of Speer Gold Dot .223 64 grain rounds which should hold me unless things are really sporty over an extended period of time. While I'm at it, I am going to bring up a topic I would usually never touch. I have access to a band saw, and with some precise measurements I could just barely take of the tips of the X193 and the X855 to create my own "soft tip" rounds. I know this will most likely leave me with ammo for short ranges only, but I have 3 different kinds of mags that I will load by type of ammo, or otherwise label.

I also have a little more than half a case of Norinco Chinese .223  brass cased  55 grain FMJ's.  Even though I don't have access to a chronograph myself (and a couple of shooting buddies) are convinced the Norinco is loaded significantly hotter than the L.C. X193.   With assumed greater velocities than the L.C. 55 grain, I am wondering if it may be a better defensive round than the X193, especially out of a 16" barrel ?  I'd also like to confirm or deny what I have heard the the Federal 5.56 made in Israel is 

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.  I am happy I have enough Gold Dot and odd and ends hunting rounds to cover most situations other than prolonged sportiness. That's why I have been stocking up on Federal bulk for years, but need some advice on which is better fo the intended job. It's a bummer to read that the design of those rounds is not the best, but I can't afford a safe full of SOST rounds...

Many thanks for your input !

John

John

3 minutes ago, dfairclothrra said:

John i found this

https://modernsurvivalonline.com/5-56mm-ammo-comparison-m193-vs-m855-and-equivalents/

I personally mainly have the  xm193. but i do have 100 855's. i also hunt coyotes with  gold dots.

Dan 

Thank you, kind sir. 

How are the Gold Dots performing for you on the yotes ? 

I know even a large coyote does not compare to a bipedal, but it would be interesting to hear what kind of damage you are seeing at what ranges ?

I presume you are using the .223...what bullet weight(s) are you using ? 

Many thanks,

John

1 minute ago, Retcop said:

Thank you, kind sir. 

How are the Gold Dots performing for you on the yotes ? 

I know even a large coyote does not compare to a bipedal, but it would be interesting to hear what kind of damage you are seeing at what ranges ?

I presume you are using the .223...what bullet weight(s) are you using ? 

Many thanks,

John

I am using the 55 gr and on broadside behind the shoulder hits i get a golfball size exit which is about the same as my 6.8spc  gets with 110 accubonds. range where i hunt is from 30-200 yds. the yotes that i killed been 100 or under. in the woods called in. 

Dan

• Like 2