ewallover

45 Super have any of you converted a 1911?

My son has been after me to get a 10mm 1911 with a 6” barrel for a sidearm for elk hunting in bear country.  With my new lease in life with my new ankle, 2020 looks like my first real elk hunt in Wyoming!  (Recovery is going well, and for the first time in 18-20 years I am basically pain free! I still have more work in front of me, but all looks good so far...)

I have a 5” STI Spartan V with very few rounds down the tube.  From what I have read so far, a hard cast lead bullet in the 200 grain range is as effective or more so than the 10mm for more energy and slightly less muzzle velocity.  If spring changes are all that is called for, this sounds like a win-win for a powerful personal protection piece that a Grizzly Bear would not be a problem if that encounter ever incurred. (Not to say that a bad guy would fare any differently...)

Any thoughts and recommendations on the cartridge and replacement springs, or should I just contact STI for their recommendations since it’s their pistol?

T

I am sure STI can recommend a solution. you are handloading which offers you a solution instead of off the shelf ammo which has to take older guns into consideration. Buffalo Bore makes .45 Super Ammo and they give a phone number out on the page of a guy to talk to.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=78

Edited by gshayd

Super, thanks!  I know the STI Spartan V is a souped up Rock Island Armory frame, slide, barrel and bushing with all STI internal components.  Frankly I think they might have been selling them too cheap and they just needed a way get more profit into the corporation by creating a new model.  The fit and finish on my STI is first rate and the sights are great!

If I can make a few minor inexpensive modifications and approach 10MM performance for a few dollars, I have a pair off.45s that will never need or see this kind of upgrade.  I just don’t want to get caught in a situation where a bullet could  bounce off a thick skull and leave me a torn up corpse.  It happened in the Jackson area last hunting season, a real wake up call for all guides and hunters alike. 

Edited by ewallover

The Spartan is made from armscor frame and slide with STI internally, it’s from the Philippines, you can tell it’s not a in-house STI, but for the price a good shooting pistol.

however, it can be tricky to get them to run right and might be expensive converting it to 45 super running hard cast so it feeds 100% of the time. All depends on what needs to be done & how it feeds/ejects....

If you go that conversion don’t put a shock buff in, they fall apart and lock up the  action. 

STI is all new company, new management & lots of new gunsmiths, one of the top guys went to STI from another well known high end 1911 handgun company, if you give them a call I’m sure they will help you one way or another, but they are not going to blow smile up your backside. 

If you have a 357 revolver or a 9mm, look at  Buffalo bores hard cast outdoors man ammo, daughter is carrying my Roland special G19 elk/antelope in bear/cat country with the 147gr hard cast +p, I’m carrying 357 hard cast 180gr ammo, got tired of jumping a 6” 629 44mag and wanted a shorter barrel and don’t have any problem with the 180gr hard cast 357 mag.  

daughter has a leather holster that holds the g19 tight agsinst her Upper chest & the Comp on the G19 really tames recoil.

a guide up in AK killed a bear with 9mm hard cast a few years back, it’s more important about how accurate you are and how many rounds you can hit the target with as fast as possible than a hand cannon that hits like a mule, but knocks you on your butt. 

get some buffalo bore ammo, shoot a couple mags thru the gun to make sure it feeds (unless your going the revolver way) as the bullet profile might hang up

Have seen a couple blacks & even saw a griz, but he was feeding on berries and we left post haste. I’ve tried to had  a 12ga close or a 45/70 scout rifle handy but at times just a pistol. 

heavy hard cast, high velocity is the way to go with deep penetration and personllY is rather have a 45 Colt instead of a 45 super, but if your comfortable with it and shoot it fast/accurate & load hard cast, dot see why it won’t work for you. 

not long ago got to shoot a 10mm 1911 that was hand built, silly thing cost almost $10k, but it was unreal, major tack driver and sooo mild recoil you would never know it was a 10mm. 

outdoors types I know most all carry 44 or 45 Colt, a couple 357 & one a 9mm, but they all swear by heavh hard cast lead bullets with a gas check &  driven very hot. 

Does Buffalo Bore offer a hard cast 185 or 200 grain Hard cast.45 ACP that might offer enough velocity to be an effective deterrent?

Not so sure the cheap way out, modifying my perfectly good 5” .45 1911, is such a smart idea.  I’ll wait until STI gets back to me with their recommendations but, the .45 super is still not achieving the muzzle velocities of the 10mm from what I have been reading.  If you cannot get a good follow up shot because of excessive recoil one could end up being lunch.  If my son had not had damn near a half dozen Griz encounters hunting and fishing in the Tetons over the past 8 or 9 years, I might not be as concerned.  But they (Grizzly Bears) are there and they are dangerous, and God only knows where he will be dragging me... 

With the right recoil and main springs, the 10 mm is supposed to be more manageable than the 255 grain .45 Super, and even with a set of modified springs, that cartridge is a beast to control from all I’ve read.  I’m not getting any younger and manageability is important.  The RIA 5” 10 mm is in the $550-650 range and a 6” barrel maybe a couple hundred buck more.  Next fall is the trip, so maybe biting the bullet and getting another pistol is not such a bad idea.  

Another 1911 in the collection can’t be all that bad.  Especially, if Bozo O’whatever is coming for all of our ARs!  Oh I forgot, John Browning’s masterpiece is probably one of the premier “weapons of war” if you figure how many conflicts that pistol has helped the United States resolve. The left has simply lost all sense of reality, but don’t get me started......

Edited by ewallover

Nothing you do will drive a hard cast 45 like a 10mm.

Asked somebody his recommendation and was told in the 10mm go with a Glock 20 and drop a 6" KKM barrel in it with a comp, but you need to call KKM f

https://kkmprecision.com/product-category/glock/20/

and then put a holosun 507c on it.

However, if it has to be a factory 1911 then Dan Wesson 10mm or Springfield TRP both with factory 10mm barrels, but they will have more recoil and slower follow up shots than the G20 with comp & 507c

On 9/15/2019 at 5:57 AM, ewallover said:

You can always go with this little 10mm pistol 

OHhfDCz.jpg

• Like 1

Can you see a 67 year old man with a titanium ankle dragging around that plus a 7mm Rem Mag in the Big Horns or Grand Tetons???? I know I’m trying to be the poster child for ankle  replacement surgery, but come on???? Lol!

38 minutes ago, Rampy said:

You can always go with this little 10mm pistol 

OHhfDCz.jpg

That’s sweet!!!

2 hours ago, ewallover said:

Can you see a 67 year old man with a titanium ankle dragging around that plus a 7mm Rem Mag in the Big Horns or Grand Tetons???? I know I’m trying to be the poster child for ankle  replacement surgery, but come on???? Lol!

I know, but still, people would never forget you :hysterical3:

So far this year from what I've been told, humans vs critters

Black Bears- 3
Grizzlies-4
Elk- 2
Bison- 2

Montana and WY, not counting Colorado......

Are you telling me 11 people have been killed by wild game?  Shocked, I tell you.  People who try to put their kids on the backs of Buffalo must be at the bottom of the gene pool.  I’m surprised the libs are not calling for background checks on tourists.

Or this one....in 10mm

large.1315448444_10MMAR1522.JPG.778d9b0f8e2ca6ab98f91c31b3c47130.JPG

Edited by gshayd

I would stick with a 10 MM unless I could step up to a 460 Rowland. The Super is nice but  it leaves some on the table. That 10 MM has terrific penetration and loaded up with a good heavy jacketed bullet or really hard lead it would do the rick.  The Rowland will be harder to shoot as fast as a 10 MM. In bear country I might rather go for a big revolver, like a 454 or a 460, but better a 10 MM auto I have than a 460 Smith setting in the tent.  The trick is to any of them and shoot the bejeezus out of them.  I've shot some horrendously fast stuff with a 4" Model 29 but with those guns you have to WANT to do it.

Greg

• Like 1