Retcop

Let's talk USGI 5.56 Magazines

After much research, I have decided that that the original opinion of my old friend Pepper is the correct one.

For self defense, the USGI mag is the incredibly well proven magazine that is my choice for self defense and any future purchases.

I currently have a mix of Gen 2 Magpul mags, and USGI mags, almost in equal lots. 

As usual, I want to check with the brain trust here on what they think are top-notch USGI mags so i will be ready to go when I find a sale. 

As it stands now Okay Industries seems to be the way to go, as mine have been flawless, and are considered Military proven. 

I would really appreciate it if this thread is NOT turned into a debate over whether polymer (usually Pmags or Lancers are superior to USGI" or visa versa. 

No debate on that please. Please start a new thread if you want to debate polymer versus USGI mags. 

My USGI mags are either Okay Industries or NHMTG  gray teflon coated USGI spec mags. They have given me good service, and I understand that both are quality mags.

NHMTG stopped production a while back. While I have no proof, it seemed as though Brownells began producing an aluminum teflon coated USGI magazine under their brand 

after NHMTG ceased production. If any "insiders"  are aware that Brownells did actually buy the USGI fabrication machinery from NHMTG, I would be very interested in knowing.

C-Products seems to be the 3rd most prolific USGI spec Mag, but I don't have any experience with them.

Stainless steel springs or chrome silicon springs ? 

The Military demands stainless steel for superior corrosion resistance. 

The chrome silicone is supposed to be less likely to "take a set" and will have a greater overall service life than the SS,

as long as I don't live on the coasts, am not deployed as a war fighter in the jungle where I am rained on for months at a time, 

or go scuba diving with them.

So, what brands of USGI mags are GTG ? 

I am looking at both standard capacity magazines, and reduced count 20 round magazines. 

BTW: Even though Colt may be the pinnacle of USGI mags I refuse to pay the price of around 23 bucks for them. 

Many thanks to those who know their USGI magazines. 

I look forward to your input. 

John

Stay away from Brownells.  We had 2 in AFG that split the length of the floor plate leaving the medic with only the round in the chamber.  They were both brand new and issued at mobilization site prior to leaving Ft Hood.  This was a big wake up for lots of folks in country.  

If you do want USGI stay away from the light green and of course any black followers.  The military has trashed all of the back followers and the Army has restricted any light green followers to “training only”.  You are not even supposed to use them to qualify.  

55 minutes ago, redbarron06 said:

Stay away from Brownells.  We had 2 in AFG that split the length of the floor plate leaving the medic with only the round in the chamber.  They were both brand new and issued at mobilization site prior to leaving Ft Hood.  This was a big wake up for lots of folks in country.  

If you do want USGI stay away from the light green and of course any black followers.  The military has trashed all of the back followers and the Army has restricted any light green followers to “training only”.  You are not even supposed to use them to qualify.  

Thanks for the info, bud.

I am almost sure my Okay Industries have a bright light green follower in them, but have not given me any problems-yet.

Is it just the follower, or the lots of aluminum bodies that came with them. I better open the safe real quick, but I gotta get something done, and be somewhere by noon at the latest. 

What follower would you suggest. I believe Okay is using Magpul followers in their  "Surefire"  line of magazines. 

Unsure if they use any other followers than Magpul in their bulk or "NON-Surefire  labeled magazines. 

Anything else GTG in USGI, in your opinion ?       What if I can find some  unused  NHMTG  left around  ?   

I have some Okay magazines that are incredibly difficult to stuff into a rifle compared to my other usgi mags, so they're not at the top of my list. Brownells has been good for me, but I only own a bit more than a dozen so small sample size. D&H are super popular, but I'm sure there must be a reason why they're so affordable. C products seem to not get a lot of love.

Honestly I would probably sell my usgi mags if it weren't for the constant threat of politicians wanting to fubar everything. Current pmags are pretty much the closest thing I have to religion. 

Boy, it is a good thing I retired so I could finally get my safe cleaned out. 

I have a Gen 2 Pmag, 

C-Products Defense with orange follower.  

I have a Centur Industries in plastic bag, that appears to have Military markings on bag. It has an NSN number, but I thought it was "MSN...

The follower is med brown with the shape of a 5.56 round molded into the top of the follower. 

I don't think I have even drilled down to the  USGI mag  that were a "group buy" for Patrons quite a while ago. 

It feels good to finally get this mes cleaned up, but I realize I have a ways to go and plenty to do. 

I also have black teflon BCM's that funtion OK.. I have a bit of everything in my range bag to continually test them. 

I have each mag type fully loaded as a test, and it was either the BCM or the Brownells that bent the floorplate from the strain of being fully loaded for years.

I will double check so people will know. 

I never heard of Centur Industries. Red, if you can help me sort out these followers and brands (or anyone else, I 

would be grateful. 

I really gotta go !

Thanks, Gentlemen !

Okay are gtg as are my D&H. Not sure who if anyone rebrands the Okay but I do know Windham did or still does rebrand the D&H. My 3-4 D&Hs aren't this way but it's my understanding that earlier D&Hs had sharp edges. Never an issue with either brand. (prefer my plastics :D:)

The Tan followers are what you want.  That was what was required for our USGI mags if we deploy with them.  Now there is a new one out for the 855A1.  OKay is what most of mine are with a Colt and a couple of non marked ones in the bunch.  I took the green followers out of the 10 in the pile I might use from time to time and replaced them with MAGPUL enhanced yellow followers.  I keep the ones with the green followers for the next mag frenzie. I won’t sell them for $200 ea like CTD did but I’ll hook somebody up for about 15 on each of them.  If you want to get rid of your PMAGs give me a shout I’ll swap at least one for one with the USGIs I have.  I prefer PMAGs and I am working on getting all of my USGI metal mags eventually replaced.  There is a reason that all of the tier 1 units issue them to their people.

Got a few Colt and SA80 mags for cheap from friends, all with the black follower. Replaced them all with the yellow Magpul ones and never had any problems then.

And have stocked up on Magpul Gen 3 Mags (thanks to the EU buying them in the future will get difficult), one didn´t activate the bolt catch. Disassembled, checked and reassembled it, and now works fine, dunno what was causing the problem.

On 9/20/2019 at 2:35 PM, redbarron06 said:

Oh-oh, and a friend of mine ordered a few of them a few days ago. Now this can get interesting.

26 minutes ago, Stogie83 said:

Oh-oh, and a friend of mine ordered a few of them a few days ago. Now this can get interesting.

I am not saying all of them are bad, figure our unit had 40+ folks, 8 mags each and I saw issues with 2 of them with my own eyes.  i did contact Brownells at the time.  They wanted batch and lot numbers off of them and we didn’t have the wrappers any more so I could not provide that information back to them.  Hopefully they were able to figure it out.  For range mags, run them, for situations where my life depends on it, I wouldn’t.  Then again I am from the school were there is no difference between “range” and SHTF mags.  Every mag has to be one I can depend my life on.

6 hours ago, redbarron06 said:

I am not saying all of them are bad, figure our unit had 40+ folks, 8 mags each and I saw issues with 2 of them with my own eyes.  i did contact Brownells at the time.  They wanted batch and lot numbers off of them and we didn’t have the wrappers any more so I could not provide that information back to them.  Hopefully they were able to figure it out.  For range mags, run them, for situations where my life depends on it, I wouldn’t.  Then again I am from the school were there is no difference between “range” and SHTF mags.  Every mag has to be one I can depend my life on.

I try to run magazines regularly for a while until I am comfy with them. 

Then rotate them out, clean them up, function test one more time load 28 and put them up. 

I don't have room to keep my mags and ammo separate anymore, and have been testing mags and then taking them out of circulation.

I just can't have a mag in the original bag, or load one and never use it, and consider it GTG.

Any box magazine fed weapon is a club (or brass knuckles if a pistol) in the magazines don't function. 

On 9/20/2019 at 10:27 AM, redbarron06 said:

The Tan followers are what you want.  That was what was required for our USGI mags if we deploy with them.  Now there is a new one out for the 855A1.  OKay is what most of mine are with a Colt and a couple of non marked ones in the bunch.  I took the green followers out of the 10 in the pile I might use from time to time and replaced them with MAGPUL enhanced yellow followers.  I keep the ones with the green followers for the next mag frenzie. I won’t sell them for $200 ea like CTD did but I’ll hook somebody up for about 15 on each of them.  If you want to get rid of your PMAGs give me a shout I’ll swap at least one for one with the USGIs I have.  I prefer PMAGs and I am working on getting all of my USGI metal mags eventually replaced.  There is a reason that all of the tier 1 units issue them to their people.

No not willing to get rid of the Pmags, they have some advantages. 

Hope they keep making the Gen 2's.

Reading Magpul engineers saying their polimer reacties differently if the mag is inserted slowly and easily, or rammed home hard ws quiet enlightening, as was there tolerance stacking and dimensional problems it took them a year to admit to and fix back in 2014. I can understand making extra room in a magazine as for dirt not bind the ammo and follower, but it is hard for me to have confidence in the Gen 3. I need to invest in a couple and run the crap out of them, but then what worth is such a small sample size ? 

Noticed  I highlighted the "for me" . All of you millions who are running Gen 3 with no problem, more power to you.  The are fine magazines.

Yes, I am aware the Military is using gen 3's.   Shoot what you like, like what you shoot. 

Nothing of relevance to add other than this is an enlightening and interesting topic.  Thanks for posting!