ee6f34aea1736143.jpeg?1569167253

• Like 1

Well, why would you practice at what your good at?  You are already good at that.

No don't practice what you suck at. That just makes you suck more. Practice what changes your performance  to get out of the suck part. You already have the sucky skills down now move on to the fix.

Greg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GLShooter said:

No don't practice what you suck at. That just makes you suck more. Practice what changes your performance  to get out of the suck part. You already have the sucky skills down now move on to the fix.

Greg

I get what the shirt says, which IMO, is get out of your comfort zone and train on the things you are not as good at, and that inherently includes getting better at them, which means improving your skill, not repeating lousy technique.

But I also get what you are saying. 

Perfect practice makes perfect.

Shooting is one of those skills that very often it is a good thing to have a trainer, or at the least a very proficient shooter observe you while you're shooting.

It is very hard for an individual shooter to tell what he is doing wrong while in the act of shooting. You are about to have an explosion go off in your hand a few feet from your face, and it is over in an instant.  Get help with the problems you are not improving at, and realize the more you have been shooting, the more ingrained bad habits can be. 

Mine was a bit tongue in cheek but that being said as you point out one of the  biggest difficulties on working with issues in shooting results is the lack of a coach.. Even the "unorthodox" styles of some pays off with good targets and performance for some individuals.  The human frame and coordination varies so much from shooter to shooter the "custom fit" adjustments must be made away from what many, or at least that trainer, consider best practices, see what I did there, but it can be done well not following the book.  I’ve had guys video themselves and study like a big dog but if you don’t know what you are looking at it’s just so much video to watch.  

Handgun shooting has evolved over the last century through many techniques with everything from putting your off hand in your pocket to getting squished down with the ground profile of a toad. Oddly enough trainers I have run into that once taught a certain way many never evolve or even learn about the new systems out there. They also can be adamant that there way is the best way. Different shooting disciplines call for different techniques. Balls to the wall Open Class USPSA is totally different than PPC and Action Pistol. My styles change to fit task at hand but I have the experience to know there are different styles that beginners don’t have on tap.  I use my thumb position different depending on the sport and I’ve had guys chastise me about it at the Federal Training Center right up until I shot a course record for them.  In those settings I’ll adapt to whatever they thing just to go along to get along as long as my scores don’t suffer.

I teach from a very much laid back approach with the goals in order being Safety, Performance and FUN.  Sometimes in some sessions Fun overtakes Performance but only on getting the shooter hooked on the activity. It is hard to work with some shooters that have some experience because of the solidly built poor style and then of course the ego is a big thing.  Even the level of the teacher can make a difference to the student in their response and attentiveness.  Lots of money has been made by competent high speed low drag operators and lots of money has been made by incompetent high speed low drag operators.  Many guys have been taught successfully by instructors that have never been in the soup and never well be but my goodness could they teach.  I’ve dealt with all of them on both sides of the clip board.  Students slot their instructors subconsciously as soon as they meet and many times those believes and opinions take a long time to dispel.

My advice to a shooter is to first of all SHOOT and get someone with you to help you build or read a lot  of books that discuss aspects of the activity like  Leatham and a few others and then go try what you read. I never read but I did shoot and never stood on tradition. I’ll still make a change to up my game even at this point in life is someone things it will help and goodness sake I’m no world beater in any sport.  I at least want to hold my own but then that’s a self-concept deal there. I believe that with help almost anyone can be taught the ins and out of top flight shooting provided they have the drive and motivation. I believe that fully competent yeoman shooting level can be attained quickly by most with little carrot stick activity.  Make it safe, make it fun and get it done.

Greg  

• Like 1

I suck at it all thus my preference for a sawed-off 12 gauge for home defense.:segrin:

4 minutes ago, bamashooter said:

I suck at it all thus my preference for a sawed-off 12 gauge for home defense.:segrin:

I doubt that you suck at it all, but if you are expecting a big shot spread at home defense distances, 

I'm pretty sure you know the scoop on that one.  Unless your point is "one and done",  which is also mythical. 

But as always, whatever works for you. If you prefer a long gun, one of those lightweight ARs you have loaded

with 20 or 30 64 grain Gold Dots would be just the ticket, IMHO.  Put a VFG on that AR and you have got two 

hands on a shorter weapon to start with if someone (or 2 or 3 or more) wants to try and take it away from you.  

With the emoticon you used, I have no idea how firmly your tongue is pressed into your cheek, so I will leave it at that. 

We all have our own preferences, and reasons for them. 

Shoot what you like; and like what you shoot.