I didnt really look too close at the tires of the Yukon when I bought it.  Two had acceptable tread and the other two were very close to replacement.  What I didnt see was all four were dry rotted and basically "aged out" anyway, the newest was ten years old.  I had hoped to drive down to the hunting camp this weekend to hunt the quota permits I drew in June but I would not chance it because I know I would have been sitting on the side of the road with blow outs.  Yes, plural.

Ive been checking on pricing a little bit  but I am uncertain yet if I will keep the 16" rims.  I want an all terrain like a BFG All Terrain, Goodyear Wrangler or other similar or mildly more aggressive mud tire.  No Chinese tires beside Federal (Taiwanese), I just wont trust my life to the communists.  I am thinking 33" tall tires would be max I can mount and hopefully not have rubbing issues.  With the 16" rims a 285/75/16 is about it I would think.  Not sure about the larger rim sizes but sticking with the 33" max and not too wide will be my spec. I am looking on FB Marketplace for some stock 17"-18" rims as they are readily available pull offs.  I like some of the newer GM OEM rims.   I might get some decent tires with them as many folks replace rims and tires at the same time.  What I am seeing tho is folks think OEM rims and half worn tires are made of gold apparently.  I am pretty cheap but thinking an OEM rim is worth north of $100 each and half worn tires $200 a piece is nuts.  I dont want to pay the majority of the price for their new tires and rims.

The last few times I bought tires I went to Walmart as the prices are good and mounting reasonable.  Ive bought a few tires online because of price and done well.  Has anyone bought from an online tire seller they would recommend?  Shipping can sometimes make them not such a good deal.  I am a little hesitant of web based tire sales because of warranty or road hazard issues.  Toe to toe sales might be better.  I am going to check with a few tire shops around locally and price some 16" tires as a base line.  I am open to suggestions on brands yall may have had good luck with or an online seller who has really great prices.

Help me build the Yukon!

Quality tires are expensive....used wheels are only worth what the buyer is willing to pay.....always check your tire date when buying new, never go with tired more than 5-6 years old (some tire companies sell old tires cheaper) I've been told the discount chains have the sane tire, but it's a cheaper build and thus can sell t cheaper...have to compare what tire model and other specs to get apples to apples....

Tire tread all depends on what kind of driving your planning on doing and the terrain your subjecting the vehicle to.....personally I'm a huge fan of BG K02's or KO3 mud tires, but here ya have to look at construction and see what weight range you want, what sidewall and if you want a warranty or not they have different constructed tires within the same model.

You can find some really cool aftermarket wheels that don't cost as much as some OEM ones on car & truck forums...

look on the different 4 wheeling forums, they will tell you how much of a tire on what kind of rim you can stuff in a wheel well and what offset should work so ya don't have rubbing issues....while having full suspension travel

Check out this site if you have not yet, lots of col calculations and size comparisons you can do......

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Look at how much sidewall you want, the sidewall determines what the feel will be, how the ride will be, how the vehicle will handle and how much abuse it can take...personally I like 17" as you have a lot of different tire options and it's a good balance between on road and off road......

How much highway driving will you be doing with this vehicle ?

Thanks Rampster, a lot of good info there. 

2 minutes ago, Retcop said:

How much highway driving will you be doing with this vehicle ?

The truck will live 95% on pavement and thats why I lean to an all terrain.  Some of them are a bit more aggressive but I definitely dont want a bogger.  They wear too quickly in the summer with the heat and are typically too noisy.

• Like 1

I mentioned to my mechanic I usually bought my tires at Walmart and popped for the lifetime rotation and road hazard. 

I rarely got a flat since well worn tires are the most susceptible to to getting a puncture. Since well worn tires also affect stopping distance and handling as well as (especially wet)  traction,  I have never scrimped on replacing tires as needed.

He shot me a fantastic price on a no name brand of all seasons for the Mazda, which are about 98% of my usual walmart Michelins handling on dry roads, 100 % of the snow traction, and 95% of the Michelins wet traction and cost half the price. They are wearing great also My shop also has a machine that measures if a tire is out of round. He did this test when I took my last new Michelins in after driving them a little for an alignment.  I had felt something funny in the steering feel that did not feel alignment related. I'm sorry my memory fails me, but it a bit more complicated than "out of round". He said he could not do a proper wheel alignment. He gave me a printout of the test and his diagnosis, which showed 3 out of 4 tires were bad. My Guy admitted he can't prove it, but he has seen enough problems with Walmart sold, quality tire brands, than the same tires bought elsewhere. He suspects Walmart buys lots of tire "seconds" so it is a crapshoot what you will get. The Auto manager at Walmart did not blink an eye,  and ordered 3 new tires for me. Obviously he had run into this before. 

The walmart tires also had some age on them to start, which was something I did not used to  pay much attention to. 

I know people make fun of my Mazda 4 banger 5 speed manual engine with a 150 hp and same torque naturally aspirated 2.0 liter engine. That's OK. I love running through the gears on the hills and curves I drive on. That 2006 Mazda was built on a Volvo S40 chassis and it handles through the curves. The tourgue band is excellent, and I love driving a manual.

The point is I stopped buying by name, but you either have to find someone you trust, or go to the 4X 4 websites and search for "best bang for your buck" tires, or ask your own question, because according to my mechanic his recommendations can change depending on the size and mostly the type of tire. When my wife's real 4X4 SUV needed tires, he had a no name choice, but said Firestone was running a rebate that made them just a hair more expensive, and he had really good luck with them. I challenged him that I had Firestones one time as OEM and they were crap, the bad stuff in the news, etc. He said that was all a long time ago, and Firestone was now GTG.. These tires are also great, and were much cheaper than the Michelins I would have put on it normally.  For full disclosure, when I had my 1989 Land Cruiser, I had really good luck with 6 ply Michelin all seasons that were on the aggressive end of tread patterns, and they did great for me. That was many years ago. 

My point is to provide you some substantiation for the idea that there are good smaller tire companies in the USA that are making very good tires at quite a savings over the name brands. The trick is to find an honest shop that won't steer you wrong. I'm done with Walmart anyway, but the tires were prior to their AR 15 BS. 

Have fun !

Wally has many brand names Ive never heard of and I doubt they are USA made. I dont doubt sometimes the tires they buy may not be 1st quality either but checking age or country of manufacture isnt hard, the info is right on the tire.  I dont doubt some Chinese tires may be good but I am not gonna buy them.  Name doesnt matter to me, I just want to make sure my money doesnt go to communists.  If there is a USA made tire thats a good price, I will certainly consider them.  Rampy makes a good oint, its all in the specs anyway.  I wouldnt put the Chinese past lying about that tho, turning out a inferior product billed as good.

Some of the best prices I have found come from Ford. If I found a lower price than Ford has matched the price. The downside is Ford does not offer free rotation.

Remember most aggressive all terrains and mud tires give up good wet weather traction on the highway. There’s always a trade off in tires. Just do your due diligence and shop around. I would recommend staying away from Walmart and the clubs. They aren’t the same tires everyone else has. May be the same name on the sidewall but they are different.

John, the term you are looking for is Road Force. The machine can measure the true roundness of the tire and wheel. The idea is to match the highest point of the tire with the lowest point of the wheel to give the roundest possible assembly.

7 hours ago, hlhneast said:

Wally has many brand names Ive never heard of and I doubt they are USA made. I dont doubt sometimes the tires they buy may not be 1st quality either but checking age or country of manufacture isnt hard, the info is right on the tire.  I dont doubt some Chinese tires may be good but I am not gonna buy them.  Name doesnt matter to me, I just want to make sure my money doesnt go to communists.  If there is a USA made tire thats a good price, I will certainly consider them.  Rampy makes a good oint, its all in the specs anyway.  I wouldnt put the Chinese past lying about that tho, turning out a inferior product billed as good.

Buying tires can be a real pain in the butt.

The last time I bought tires for the old pickup I ended up with a set of Kumho's (Korean). I really liked them. Hardly any sign of wear even after being on the truck for more than a year. I was price shopping back then as my money was tight. Similar tires from GY BFG etc was 50% higher. My dad used to be an Owner-Operator trucker and I remember him saying the Kumho truck tires were good so I bit the bullet. Could not have been happier.

The current truck has some sort of all terrain tire which are at about 40% tread left. I'm not looking forward to shopping for those 18" tires.

And like you I shopped Craigslist for a set of take-offs. Crazy pricing there too.

I have had great luck with Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires in the past. The price is reasonable and they are awesome off-road. Road noise is surprisingly mild for how aggressive the tread looks. I usually do my research on tire rack.com and either buy local or have the tires shipped to a local shop. Good luck hope you find something you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 hours ago, hlhneast said:

Thanks Rampster, a lot of good info there. 

The truck will live 95% on pavement and thats why I lean to an all terrain.  Some of them are a bit more aggressive but I definitely dont want a bogger.  They wear too quickly in the summer with the heat and are typically too noisy.

I might be very biased, but if your spending that much time on pavement.....go with BFG K02's.......look for the ones with a 50k mile warranty in the size you want......they are excellent tires....find a tire shop that will mount/balance them & have "free" rotation/balance....we just go to Discount tires as they will match price & you can get a lifetime rotate/balance & then we have em rotated every 5k-7k miles....have almost 20k miles on the Raptor with those tires now and easily have 3/4 tread left.....and that's with some serious off road abuse......

We will be going to Moab shortly & then back down to Patrick AFB in a couple months (about 2k miles) and spending a week or so & then going to NAS Key West and back home....will be going from ice/snow to sand beaches and back & have no worries with the K02's....

Lots of reviews on the web and youtube.....

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO2

Before changing rim size discuss it with a mechanic who knows about g m speed sensor / computers . Back in the day you had to change the settings if you changed tire size or you really screw up the drivability . Don't know about your vehicle but some have limits to how much you can go .

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Rampy said:

I might be very biased, but if your spending that much time on pavement.....go with BFG K02's.......look for the ones with a 50k mile warranty in the size you want......they are excellent tires....find a tire shop that will mount/balance them & have "free" rotation/balance....we just go to Discount tires as they will match price & you can get a lifetime rotate/balance & then we have em rotated every 5k-7k miles....have almost 20k miles on the Raptor with those tires now and easily have 3/4 tread left.....and that's with some serious off road abuse......

We will be going to Moab shortly & then back down to Patrick AFB in a couple months (about 2k miles) and spending a week or so & then going to NAS Key West and back home....will be going from ice/snow to sand beaches and back & have no worries with the K02's....

Lots of reviews on the web and youtube.....

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO2

I put the K02"s on my Jeep and they are the perfect tires for it. They are quiet on the highway and grip like crazy in the soft dirt. Rock crawling they do very well and with the light Jeep they take me anywhere. The old tires were the old BFG's with the same tread and they chunked out pretty good on the previous owners ranch roads. These new tires have gone 10k miles with very little wear on them so far even with all the off road I do....matter of fact the only wear is from highway use on the steer tires from I'm sure a poor front end alignment. 

Ive had BFG All Terrains before and like them alright and they are just about the best all around tire.  Baja racers and Ford choose them so there is something there.  I have found if your vehicle isnt perfectly aligned and you dont rotate religiously, they dont last long.  Every GM I have had wears the inner treads out, I think its inherent with their indy front suspension but thats me using the SWAG theorum.  I am planning on cranking the torsion bars a bit on the Yukon and maybe with a stiffer front end the issue wont be as bad and I will level the truck out a bit.

I am trying to keep the budget under $800 out the door which can be difficult when some places impose mandatory installation packages and fees on the purchase.  I see it a lot on local chains and some national ones do it.  I dont want to pay $25/ tire installation and $4 a piece for Schrader valves, then a $4/ tire FL tire fee and $1/ tire disposal fees.  Add in sales tax and it puts almost $40 more each on the tire.    Right now I am leaning to General Grabber AT2's in a 265X70X16" as they are priced decently and they have a $100 Visa Gift card lagniappe.  I also dont have to buy new rims right now. 

I will keep an eye on the for sale ads and may pick something else up.  My '09 GMC 1/2 ton extended cab had some nice rims from the factory and I may run up on them.  They are offered aftermarket but are pricey but I really like them.  It was a big reason I bought that particular truck.  I dont have to have new to me rims.  A buddy once told me he wouldnt buy fancy alloy rims for his dump truck because the rims didnt make any money.  Coming from the days when white wagon wheels were cool, some of the rims today are just plain gaudy.  To each his own but I wont spend more for a rim than the tire, vanity isnt my problem.

Weight is a issue, factory wheels are heavy, the aftermarket ones can be lighter/stronger and the lighter they are, the better as it's easier on your suspension, easier to get going, easier to stop and better MPG...