New car enters the Tj fleet a 1980 L82 Corvette.  Black on black, all original, 77K miles, the thing looks immaculate.  2nd owner, a lady, drove it till the brakes went out and its been in a barn since 2006.  If you are not familiar with Vettes, its one of the last years of the big coke bottle Vettes now an antigue. 

It was a hell of Barn find.  I got the car for under $7K which means in the shape its in, I'll be able to flip it if I want and make some money.  So far, what it needs is rear brake cylinder, battery, and windshield wipers though I may go ahead and replace the vacuum headlight actuators because they can't be long for this world.  I may need to convert the AC, don't know on that yet.  A little spit and polish this things show room man.  Prettiest coke bottle Vette I've ever seen and still got all the pollution crap and a kick ass high end stereo with subwoofer the owner paid $1,500 for her only upgrade. 

Anyway if you are familiar with barn finds, it was a find it and then keep asking until you find the owner wanting some cash.  They sold me the car then went on a trip to FL.  I plan to detail our low mileage Z3 and sell it to replenish my "ready cash" then we'll show the Vette at the Friday car show and if someone wants it, we'll sell it, getting to enjoy it in the meantime.  Usual sell prices around here is $11,500 to $14,500. 

I'll take a pic when I take delivery but can't over stress how great this car looks.  If my wife wants to keep it, I'll upgrade the drive train but that's not really the plan. 

Tj

Sounds nice.  I would keep it.  Always good to have another toy.  Post a picture.

I loved my 76 Stingray........I hated working on it but loved the car. I remember taking that car some place years ago and stopping at a store....a young man approached us and said "you are really not in the right neighborhood with that thing and I suggest you move along before your spotted". 

Vettes do stand out and grab attention from certain crowds. Around here the car community is just kinda blah about them. They are more about the Camaros, Impala, Malibu, Belair and such. 

Nice find and lets hope the heater core is good because that one starts at the center console and you have to take half the interior apart to get to it. 

WAY cool !  

Now for the pictures...

Glad you found a nice car.  Since its been in the shed since '06 I would definitely buy new tires for it before I went on any kind of long trip.  Dont put a lot of money in it if you are thinking flip, the later C3's arent nearly as desirable as pre '73's.  Your estimates are spot on so use that as a guide for investment.  Parts, especially repro stuff isnt cheap, its called the Vette Tax.  Mechanical stuff is still available and no Vette Tax added usually unless it is specific to the model, it is a SBC after all. Do expect skint knuckles as they dont have a lot of room to work on them.  Do the work yourself because Vette specific mechanics can be pricey.   It will be nice for car shows and a Sunday drive every now and then.  Vettes arent known for long drive comfort.  You dont drive a Vette, you wear it.

Good luck and enjoy!

Love it, I'll give ya $500.00 and come out & take it off your hands........

Very cool TJ.  Everybody dreams of a very nice barn fine.  

Oh and...

:worthlesswithoutpics[1]:

Where in the heck are the pictures.

I had a 69 Vette. That car was alot of fun.

Thanks guys.

Car is still in the garage and I haven't picked it up yet.  Buying a battery today, Sea Foam, brake fluid, and brake parts (rear drum wheel cylinder).  I will need to access whether I can drive it to my place or call AAA to transport.  Depends on how fast the wheel leak is.  Can't even tell which wheel because its sat too long the stain is dried.  Already have a buyer for the Z3 even before I've even finished detailing it for sale. 

I'll post pics once I get it home.  Only pics now are barn pics which is with the car partially covered.  Car looks show room and sounds great.  We should have some fun before we sell it.  If, the wife let's me sell it that is.  She really enjoyed our show car days when we had muscle cars. 

1 hour ago, TomJefferson said:

Thanks guys.

Car is still in the garage and I haven't picked it up yet.  Buying a battery today, Sea Foam, brake fluid, and brake parts (rear drum wheel cylinder).  I will need to access whether I can drive it to my place or call AAA to transport.  Depends on how fast the wheel leak is.  Can't even tell which wheel because its sat too long the stain is dried.  Already have a buyer for the Z3 even before I've even finished detailing it for sale. 

I'll post pics once I get it home.  Only pics now are barn pics which is with the car partially covered.  Car looks show room and sounds great.  We should have some fun before we sell it.  If, the wife let's me sell it that is.  She really enjoyed our show car days when we had muscle cars. 

Take lots of pictures as it is right now, and as you make progress.  Record everything.  

Wow, great find.  I love that design over the newer ones.  New design just isnt a real vette.  I forget who posted, will up his offer to 1K and come pick it up! :segrin:

As I said, be careful on the budget, you can quickly get in over the value if your not careful.  Luckily the C3s are starting to pick up value as the C1 and 2s are getting expensive.  The C4 like I had will take a lot longer as the made so many of them.  I can say factually, stay away from a C4 unless its a special edition pristien low mileage one.  Your 1980 still has appealing looks, the '82s went kooky with the back window and do not look nearly as good IMO.

6 hours ago, hlhneast said:

As I said, be careful on the budget, you can quickly get in over the value if your not careful.  Luckily the C3s are starting to pick up value as the C1 and 2s are getting expensive.  The C4 like I had will take a lot longer as the made so many of them.  I can say factually, stay away from a C4 unless its a special edition pristien low mileage one.  Your 1980 still has appealing looks, the '82s went kooky with the back window and do not look nearly as good IMO.

I'm just learning about Vettes.  Other than the average Joe, 50's, Stingrays, Coke bottles, newers.  I don't know much on what changed when.  

I did know the Coke bottles were all detuned for the EPA pollution crap.  Many buddies had them and hopped them up.  When I first found this car, I researched and found it was one of only 40,000 and of the three models they had that year the L82 the most desirable with the L42 the least.  Still I remember the era quite well.  IN fact, I had three 1980 GM's and one 1979 over time.  What they lacked in Hp, they made up for in torque and due to the older block designs designed for high compression their lower compression, the engines lasted one very long time.  I'll not win any races with its 7 second 0-60 but it will look and sound damn fine getting there and though best to use "no alcohol" fuel with the lower compression I won't be adding a boat load of additves and possibly get away lower octane than my muscle car days.  Man, I use to get all sorts of stares at stations adding crap to my tank.  Funny part many didn't know the where the fills were in those days. LOL

Had a 67 coupe big block and years later a 70 LT-1. The 70 became a down payment on a house. Though even under-powered (imo) with the L-82, I always liked the looks of the 82 Collector's edition.

Update!

Spent about three hours Friday working on it enough to get it to be towed to my place where I have the tools to do such a project.  Had it towed Saturday.  Yesterday we fixed the one flat, added fluids, and did our first pass of what needs to be done. 

Good news is she purrs like a kitten with a nice deep rumble loping muscle car sound and we should be able to do the brakes and a detail to start enjoying the car on a limited basis.  The cars simple amazingly beautiful inside and out cosmetically, almost like new.  Bad news is its about exactly what you would expect from a 39 year old barn find that's been sitting in a barn over 13 years.  Anything rubber that hasn't be replaced needs to be.  At one point I just touched the axle bumper and it just broke in my hand. LOL  I jury rigged that till we can replace them. 

Anyway a little TLC like a brake job and detail, we should be able to start showing this one and doing some limited driving.  The paint and interior is that good.  Back to total health is going to take awhile.  Its back to autoparts stores, meets, and online shopping with a big whoopie when you find what you need.  Finding this or that part is part of the fun. 

I'll have pics posted soon.

Tj

• Like 1