Stogie83

Question if my AR15 is overgassed or not to worry about?

Hi, maybe you can help me or give me an adivce please, i´m kinda new to the ar15 world and still learning: I have exchanged the carbine stock with a A1 stock because a few months ago of storage space and...yeah, looks (incl Rifle Tube, Buffer and Spring) on my Schmeisser AR15 16" 1:9 barrel, mid length gas. At first it ejected the casing to 1 o`clock and had wearing on the back end of the ejection port, diagnosed BC overtravel and fixed it with spacers (shims) at the end of the rifle buffer tube. Now they get ejected to the 3 o`clock position, have no FDF`s or FDE´s, bolt locks open after last round, no increased recoil compared to when i had the carbine buffer, BUT after around 100rds i noticed wearing / chipping on the front edge of the brass deflector (and of course brass marks but i know that´s normal). Is it overgassed? Is there still something to improve or should i just don´t worry about it? I haven´t noticed any damage on the brass casings btw
If i still want to alter the ejection angle (and fixing overgassing if it is the case), i heard from someone i should use a heavier buffer / increase weight in the rifle buffer. Would it just do the trick to replace the spacer in the buffer with an additional weight and a shorter spacer?

9Loj9j.jpg

The brass on the shell deflector is normal, means its doing its job. In my opinion, if your ejecting at a consistent 3 o'clock pattern, that's pretty good. At best, it may be slightly over-gassed, but if you wish to try a heavier buffer, it can't hurt, general rule of thumb is to run the heaviest buffer you can without affecting function, I.E. cycling, ejection, and re-chambering without issue. Some more experienced heads in here will likely chime in and add, possibly redact what I've added. Good luck though, just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

It is ejecting right where you want. If it bugs you about the deflector that is doing its job get a 5/8" square of sticky back Velcro and put it on the deflector. EVERY AR I run has it in place before the first shot is fired. It saves the brass being beat up more than necessary and that is a plus for reloading.

If you wish to skin the cat without spending bunches of money on new buffers and springs just put an adjustable gas block on it and tune it as you want it.  They seem to work adequately for my

meager demands and needs.

Welcome to the board. :tiphat:

Greg

• Like 2

Thanks to you all for ypur replies!
I´ll run it for now as is, but will keep an eye on the brass casings also. Should it get bad to worse, i´ll make my buffer heavier (still have a few spare weights) .
If this doesn´t help i´ll buy an adjustable gasblock then! Which one can you recommend? (preferably one from Brownells, because they have set up a european store in my country)

I like the JP if I had to go with Brownells but the ones I have are overly large and not very aesthetically pleasing. 

Greg 

• Like 1

Not 100% if they're available on Brownells, but Superlative Arms have great AGB's, love the bleed-off system. Spikes also has a rebranded AGB made by Superlative Arms, only with a Spikes logo on it. IDK from experience, but I've heard good things about Odin Works and Seekins AGB's. I'm sure there are other good ones out there, just don't know enough about them to say G2G or POS. Good luck, hope you get your AR tuned just the way you want it, small things bother me as well if it isn't JUST HOW I WANT IT, LoL.

• Like 1

One thing about it just where you live makes a big challenge in dealing with even simple issues if it involves new parts.

Greg 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GLShooter said:

One thing about it just where you live makes a big challenge in dealing with even simple issues if it involves new parts.

Greg 

That´s why i bless Brownells for setting up stores in europe. Almost the only way to get firearms-related parts and stuff from the US.

15 hours ago, SouthTXGunner23 said:

Good luck, hope you get your AR tuned just the way you want it, small things bother me as well if it isn't JUST HOW I WANT IT, LoL.

Thanks! HAHA yeah i´m kinda the same! Plus, a little panicking at first after replacing one or two parts and things run completely different.

Already put Superlative and Odin AGB on my wishlist. JP looks a bit too bulky, i´m not sure if it fits on my (kinda slim) keymod handguard.

On 9/30/2019 at 1:21 PM, SouthTXGunner23 said:

The brass on the shell deflector is normal, means its doing its job. In my opinion, if your ejecting at a consistent 3 o'clock pattern, that's pretty good. At best, it may be slightly over-gassed, but if you wish to try a heavier buffer, it can't hurt, general rule of thumb is to run the heaviest buffer you can without affecting function, I.E. cycling, ejection, and re-chambering without issue. Some more experienced heads in here will likely chime in and add, possibly redact what I've added. Good luck though, just my 2 cents.

While the "run the heaviest buffer that you can without affecting performance" is sound advice, one must consider if the weapon has the possibility of being fired in anger. 

That means it has to function in the hot and the cold, the dry and the wet, and whether the rifle is sparkling clean and lubed or very dirty and on the dry side. It should also run all under all conditions above with the various ammos you have or may have available to you. If things get really sporty, you may not have your choice of the rifle's preferred ammo. 

I little extra oomph if the extraction and ejection department is not bad insurance for a self defense weapon, and IMHO, the rifle should be tested in as many different conditions as possible before you settle on the configuration.  

I do see what you mean about the chipping going on leading edge of the brass deflector by the ejection port, but I'm not sure if that is a problem. 

Some of the experts here can probably tell you.

Welcome to the Board ! 

John

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Retcop said:

While the "run the heaviest buffer that you can without affecting performance" is sound advice, one must consider if the weapon has the possibility of being fired in anger. 

That means it has to function in the hot and the cold, the dry and the wet, and whether the rifle is sparkling clean and lubed or very dirty and on the dry side. It should also run all under all conditions above with the various ammos you have or may have available to you. If things get really sporty, you may not have your choice of the rifle's preferred ammo.

Welcome to the Board ! 

John

That´s something i never took in consideration, thanks for pointing that out! Most of the time i fired my AR on mild, rainy days with the same brand of ammo S&B 55gr, sometimes Hornady Frontier 55gr (where i´m not sure if the carbon build up with Hornady is more inside the BCG). Will keep an eye on it the next time i go the range!

Thanks!

• Like 1

If it ain't broke don't fix it.  As long as it is consistent let her rip tater chip. The easiest way if you just have to mess with it is an adjustable gas block.

Edited by gshayd
  • Like 1