tommag

A2 front site removal question again.

Posted (edited)

I removed the a2 site and the holes for the pins through the barrel make for a couple of thin spots in the barrel.

As near as I can figure, there is .051 left between the bore (.308) and the pin holes. Will this be ok, or should I drive the pins through the bbl and trim them flush?

I'm replacing the hand guard with a floating one and low profile gb.

20191003-174954.jpg

Edited by tommag

Posted (edited)

No problem. Extended length low profile gas blocks are available to hide those recesses if you desire. Pricey but others might be available. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003405858/

Oh, looking at the pic, the fsb wasn't pinned, but used set screws?

Edited by bamashooter

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, bamashooter said:

No problem. Extended length low profile gas blocks are available to hide those recesses if you desire. Pricey but others might be available. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003405858/

Oh, looking at the pic, the fsb wasn't pinned, but used set screws?

No, it was pinned. Those holes go all the way through. 

So, you're saying the thin metal where the pins were isnt a problem?

Edited by tommag

No idea. Who's is that (manufacturer)? Must be the look angle. If that was factory then there shouldn't be an issue. If you're lucky, one of those openings will align with one of your set screws and act as a dimple. Or does your lo-pro not use set screws?

I don't know who made the bbl. It is dimpled on the bottom. Those holes are horizontal through the lower side of the bbl.

I'm thinking I need to grind the tapered pins to fit in the holes without protruding and epoxy them in.

I don't think that you have any realistic pressure concerns regarding the holes.

It's mostly a cosmetic thing, and I would fill them with the pins and finish them off just because.

Pressure at that point in the barrel is almost nothing, relatively anyway, so there is no real issue there.  If I was OCD I'd fill them with the pins dressed down but I'm not that bad. I have a couple that are not filled out.

Greg

I would fill them in, finished to perfection and race to a hypnotist to have the knowledge of their prior existence purged from my memory; all memory banks. Other than that, I wouldn't give them a second thought. 

• Haha 1

Ok, I worry about things too much. This is my daughter's upper and I didn't want it springing a leak on her.

I consulted my current therapist (previous therapists have either been committed or committed suicide) who said the hypnotist idea was probably in order.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am sure most companies would not use that on a barrel if there was any chance of it doing anything harmful. The gas block you use has to match up with the height of your rear sight.  Now you can worry again...lol

I figured he had a flat top and was going with a conventional lpgb. Did I miss something?

2 minutes ago, bamashooter said:

I figured he had a flat top and was going with a conventional lpgb. Did I miss something?

nope he didn't really say what gas block he was going with. Just adding some FYI. 

Since the OP is going to use a freefloating handguard that will presumably cover the gas block, it would be my suggestion to grind down the FSB to a low profile gas block size and re-install the "new" low pro gas block with the old pins then slide the handguard over it and go to town.  The OP would end up with an extremely secure almost bomb proof gas block that way plus saving the cost of a new low pro.  There are numerous videos on youtube showing how to grind it down.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I put a lp gb on it and used a touch of jbweld on the cut down pins to hold them in.

I tested it at the range and was pleasantly surprised. I used some 123 gr fmj to get it on paper. Then I switched to federal fusion 7.62x39 and it shot several five shot groups from 1.5 (oops, my bad) down to .7moa. Most of them were around 1"

20191007-170235.jpg20191006-174920.jpg

Edited by tommag
  • Like 1

Congratulations on your swap. Your accuracy is about on par with what I'm seeing in the one 7.62X39 I'm shooting. I have a KAK upper that was gifted to me by a shooter that passed last year and I need to wring it out. He use to get great groups with it and I have his pet loads documented so it's just a matter of time until I get to pay a bit of tribute to Walt..

Keep us posted as you work through this one.

Greg