Sign in to follow this  
towtruck

It's alive...again

My old 1983 quadrunner has never let me down....well, maybe once over a year and a half ago when it would not start because the gas dried up. Last spring I had the old girl up at the pdog shoot when newbe and Pepper came down and we used the little quad over the weekend. I even made close to a ten mile round trip on it to rescue the Blazer that was stuck. 

Well, after that weekend I left it on the trailer and covered it up. This spring came and went and there were no pdog trips so the quad sat on the trailer covered up. Winter is coming and the old tarp over the quad needed replaced so I pulled it off today and tried to start the quad. I could not get it to prime the carb so I added some fresh gas and got it primed. A little shaking around and the old girl fired up. I let it run a while and I had to keep the rpm's up until the carb cleared out and then it ran real good. It needs fresh gas and a few miles put on it but the quad is trapped on the trailer as it's backed up to the shop so nobody would steal it and there are no wheels and tires on the trailer right now. 18 months of sitting and it started for me....I like that. 

4a1CMNN.jpg

My brother in law is moving back to Texas and he told my wife he had a quad for sale. I don't really need another one but a larger electric start model would be nice. I'm headed out of town for work in the morning and I will stop by my BIL's and check out the quad he has. I might get a great deal on it but it had better be in good shape. 

I don't think I can ever part with my baby quad though. We bought it new in Klamath Falls Oregon in 1983 and it has never been registered. It's been a great little workhorse. 

Dam, stopped by my BIL's and the quad he has is a $10k unit that has almost zero miles on it. I did not even bother to ask what he wanted for it. The new homeowner showed up to look at the house and ended up buying the quad and tractor from him  right there so all temptation was removed from me. I'll just be happy with the one quad I rarely use anyway.

I almost was ready to pull the trigger on a quad myself, but then a buddy sold me his nearly new John Deere garden tractor for quite literally peanuts. It's now doing most of the chores around the place, it had a cute little dump trailer that came with it. One of these days I'll buy a work quad, but the prices of some of the new ones are getting outrageous. 

Nice.  I wouldn't mind having one but cost too much.  Was thinking of just buying an old lawn mower and using it without the deck.  :)

6 hours ago, Pepper said:

I almost was ready to pull the trigger on a quad myself, but then a buddy sold me his nearly new John Deere garden tractor for quite literally peanuts. It's now doing most of the chores around the place, it had a cute little dump trailer that came with it. One of these days I'll buy a work quad, but the prices of some of the new ones are getting outrageous. 

BIL is not the sharpest when it comes to buying things. He has money so he has to go big. When he bought this house he bought a mid sized tractor. It was too small to work his steep ground and too big to use once he planted everything. The thing has 90 hours on it and is six years old. It just sits in the garage. So then he buys a big Honda quad and trailer and it is too much as well so it sits. Then he gets a riding mower and finds out that is all he needs. 

My wife wanted his quad to use around our place and I told her by the time you get it out of wherever you keep it, start it, open all the gates, and put it away when your done you could have walked out did the job and walked back in 1/4 the time.  Quads have a purpose for sure but most smaller places they are too much and become toys or they sit. Hell, my baby quad has not done more than 15 hours of real work in 15 years. Up home, when we bought it, it worked in the winter plowing snow and hauled us around hunting and we used the crap out of it....but we had the room to use it. 

I would be helpless on my property without my quad.  Going on 13 yrs old now, only quit a couple times, once a relay, once I saturated it with a pressure washer... took a week to dry it out.  Other than that, besides driving off cliffs accidentally it has never given me trouble.  When it spurts and sputtersm\, I change the fuel filter and plugs and it seems to come back to life.  fingers crossed.  Mine gets used weekly, so never sits long unstarted.  But it is also not garaged, just cover with a tarp every night.