Sign in to follow this  
wish2no

Calling Rampy - Window Glass

So my "New - Old" truck, 2007, is pretty clean, definitely needs to be clay bared but I dont have the time or energy for that  right now,  but what is annoying the hell out of me are the windows.  Have some sort of hard coating, looks like someone poured syrup on them and let it run down.  Guessing it is just wax from being put through automated car washes that has accumulated.  But I tried waxing the windows to remove and it didnt phase it. 

What is the best way to strip glass down to the glass itself, getting rid of whatever this residue is and then what do I apply to keep the windows clean, and keep the rain rolling off?

You can try several different solvents, but you really want to pull it off, use acetone. Be very careful, if it gets along the edges where it can contact the plastic membrane, the windshield will go foggy at a minimum. On a rag, without any cracks/chips/repaired bits, you should be fine. It will remove grease, tar, pitch, or just about any other messy substance attached to your window. Might razor blade scrape it first, just to make sure it's not a sloppy chip/crack repair. 

23 hours ago, Pepper said:

You can try several different solvents, but you really want to pull it off, use acetone. Be very careful, if it gets along the edges where it can contact the plastic membrane, the windshield will go foggy at a minimum. On a rag, without any cracks/chips/repaired bits, you should be fine. It will remove grease, tar, pitch, or just about any other messy substance attached to your window. Might razor blade scrape it first, just to make sure it's not a sloppy chip/crack repair. 

Thanks for the idea.  Its not a chip repair, it is consistent all around less the front window.  Looks like someone poured karo syrup down the windows and let it crystallize.  Very hard.  And clear, just annoying.  I have some acetone, I will try masking off an area and see what gives.  Good idea, thanks!

If the Acetone does not work, try Toluene, have never seen such a buildup myself, coud it be a window tint film somebody put on at some point to darken the windows??

I'd clay bar all of the windows, it's a pain, but well worth it and then use a glass sealant....

Reminds me, I need to do that this week as the weather guessers are calling for 6" of snow and -6 temps Saturday & Sunday I'm off to Mab and then Raptor Assault school.....hope it does not snow in Moab since were camping....

Dont think it is tint.  Windows are factory tinted.  Just looks like some syrupy flow across the entire top the windows that flowed down a few inches.  Very clear and hard.  Mystery.